HL Pershing Project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PershingLover
Corporal

HL Pershing Project

Post by PershingLover »

Hello everyone, I finally started a thread for my Pershing. As it stands right now, it's just the basic Heng Long plastic version. I do have some more goodies here andon the way, though.. :D

-Custom stencils from Rad
- JCC Compact recoil
- Mako 2020 Board
- Tamiya barrel and mantlet.

Here are some pictures of it, I apologize for the crap lighting, it's just a lamp...

I'm am having a small problem though. The Tamiya mantlet doesn't fit over the HL under mantlet (The piece the mantlet moves on.) The Tamiya parts also don't fit into the HL turret. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or tryed something like this before?
Attachments
IMG_1448.JPG
IMG_1448.JPG (48.25 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
IMG_1447.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG (32.22 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
IMG_1446.JPG
IMG_1446.JPG (31.02 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1445.JPG (37.42 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

Re: HL Pershing Project

Post by Roboticus_Prime »

Yeah. HL and Tamiya parts typically are not directly interchangeable. Though, many people have combined the two. It just takes some fabricating.
RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Tanks: HL M26 Pershing, HL M1A2 Abrams, Taigen M4 76, HL M45 Pershing, 1/18 PZ IV, VS Abrams, [coming soon]
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Yeah, that kind of stuff is a pain-in-the-ask-your-mother-for-sixpence.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Looked through the Pershing Build that I posted some years ago and the method that I used is there. It has lasted and is still solid and looks the part. Use the proper epoxy and you will never have a days trouble with it. ( just don't let the dog drag your completed tank off of the display desk ;o)
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Combo HL and Tamiya turret is ready to detail..JPG
Combo HL and Tamiya turret is ready to detail..JPG
Barrel mounted with a belt spacer..JPG
Barrel mounted with a belt spacer..JPG
Mantlet attached with brass pins.JPG
Mantlet attached with brass pins.JPG
A scratch trunnion and mantlet mount made from a Tamiya cable mount.  Cut it in half and rounded the edges to fit the mantlet interior curvature..JPG
A scratch trunnion and mantlet mount made from a Tamiya cable mount. Cut it in half and rounded the edges to fit the mantlet interior curvature..JPG
A scratch trunnion and mantlet mount made from a Tamiya cable mount. Cut it in half and rounded the edges to fit the mantlet interior curvature..JPG (78.71 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
...Here for the Dawn...
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

Hmm, well I was thinking of doing it differently. I was planning on cutting slots in the flange on the Tamiya under part, and slotting it in.

I don't know how to keep the manlet secured, and attached to the barrel. Ideas?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
Brass pins secured by drilling and two part epoxy. The ears in the photo above were drilled and corresponding holed drilled in the mantlet. Two per ear. The barrel is a custom one off by Alpha. A brass airgun barrel that fits into the HL airgun and works. The whole thing works like the original HL airgun...just with correct trunnions and a Tamiya mantlet and one off barrel.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

Okay, it's been a little while, but parts finally started rolling in. My JCC Compact Recoil appeared today. It didn't come with the tail for fitting into the HL elevation. I'll most likely start posting more pics tomorrow.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

PershingLover wrote:Okay, it's been a little while, but parts finally started rolling in. My JCC Compact Recoil appeared today. It didn't come with the tail for fitting into the HL elevation. I'll most likely start posting more pics tomorrow.
Really? They should all have two tails. One for a servo (to be hooked up by the user) and one for Rotating cam style (HL).
Every current JCC Compact Recoil should have the following.
  • Main Body
  • Barrel
  • Tail - Servo
  • Tail - HL Elev
  • Servo Kit
  • Linkages (x3)
  • Spring
  • Brass Dowel
  • M2x10 SHCS (x6)
  • Instructions
PM me please.
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Parts for recoil on thier way N/C. Sent out the new version with the rails for the side elevation unit not knowing he was making a Pershing! Me bad... :D

TXS
Dean
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

After a bit of a break, I'm back on my project. I have run into some more issues, though. I didn't realize that the HL elevation was run through the airsoft unit, so now I am waiting for another servo...

Another small problem is with the barrel diameter. It fits like a glove in the unit itself, but it is too large for the interior moving piece.
But everything has arrived now, and I have time to visit the hobby store, so hopefully I can start making some progress.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”