Heng Long Sherman M4A1 (75)

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Heng Long Sherman M4A1 (75)

Post by Tiger6 »

'recasts' I think is the word you were looking for.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Tiger6 wrote:'recasts' I think is the word you were looking for.
:D :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Copies would have done but yeah
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:This is where I’m at with mine
Just so you know, from what I found on the Sherman Minutia site, large hull hatches required high bustle turrets for clearance.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minu ... rrets.html

If you want to convert your hull, Christian Ludwig is willing to sell metal small hatches from his M32 kit. I just ordered some today.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I will take a look. Looking at your link mine will have the 1942 turret with it being desert
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Looking at the early versions used in El Alamein the hatches will be ok on the front but I will have to drill wholes in my wheels. Which as they are metal won’t be easy. As for the turret I have to make the mantle as I did on my a2 from the same region. Very few photos from the back though
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Second thoughts I will change the hatches
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Morning guys,

Estnische there are so many variants of the Sherman that it can sometimes be difficult to find which parts would be on any given tank :crazy: luckily there is a wealth of information out there covering this. On my desert Sherman build ( which is still ongoing :/ ) I modified the low bustle shape by doing the same as the pictures shown earlier in the thread that was posted and it is a fairly easy mod to carry out. Since the last pics that i posted on here somewhere I have began converting the boogies to the early versions with the rollers mounted on top of them rather than to the rear, these bits I bought from vandra models a while back. I'll add some pics as the work continues :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Last edited by Model Builder 4 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Thanks Lee.

I hoped you would chime in.

I'm more or less, being pushed towards this version based on affordable parts. Having said that, I won't get picky about road wheel types, or track types. I got a really good price on metal tracks with duckbill extensions, and they may not be accurate either.

Its also difficult to know what is 'incorrect'. I'm discovering the Sherman was so well produced, most parts were interchangeable. What came out of each plant wasn't strictly what may have been in the field after repairs while in service. Similarly the gate-guards which provide good reference photos, may be just cobbled together from leftovers. Finally, older versions like the M4A1 were sent back for re-manufacturing with upgrades.

Fun and games.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

With the sherman its best to decide 'where and when' before you start, makes it much easier to narrow things down ;)

Return to “Heng Long Builds”