Heng Long Sherman M4A1 (75)

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Heng Long Sherman M4A1 (75)

Post by Estnische »

Another large gap between posts, but here is the turret.

There are some guidance diagrams on the various Sherman websites. As mentioned in my earlier posts, I wanted to go low bustle and use a 75mm. Having seen this, I also liked the idea of keeping the Heng Long loaders hatch.

Here is the original with a new 75mm barrel.

The mantlet change is a must.

Out with the commander's hatch and off with the high bustle.

A lot of changes here including old style split hatch, a build-up of layers for the bottom of the bustle, repositioning of the radio mount and cast-in cheek armour instead of applique. The 50 cal. mount is a bit of free-styling on my part, but I feel it is more practical when I have a commander in the hatch. Speaking of which, I reconstructed the commander's base, as it forms the support for the airsoft mechanism.

On the other side, the pistol port has been glued on and blended in before coating with Mr Surfacer 500 for cast texture. Then a hit of olive drab to bring it together with the upper hull.

Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Nice conversion :thumbup: looking forward to see this finished 8)

Are you planning on making the spot lamp work? A warm white 5mm flat top LED fits in the housing with minimal effort ;)
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Man, that Mr. Surfacer is good stuff. It looks like real cast metal. I agree that a working light up top would be so cool.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Real slick work M E.
Is that TAMIYA green you used ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Thanks guys. I was thinking of just a flat clear lens in the spotlight, but that LED idea does sound cool.

The Mr Surfacer does give a nice textured finish, but not quite right. It almost needs a wipe over with a spatula, but that would be too inconsistent. At least this looks better than smooth plastic.

Herman I used Andy's recipe of Tamiya Olive Drab lightened with Flat Yellow. It will be OK as a base coat, but it needs to be not so yellow. I've seen Andy use a sand colour to mist over it to fix that.
Last edited by Estnische on Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ahh, similar to my blend to get 4BO
It doesn’t look yellow to me, but screen settings are very different too.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Totally agree on the screen - I have 2, both high end Dell Ultrasharp's. One is 13 years old and the panel has gone a bit yellow, but i never noticed this until I bought the other 2nd hand from their refurbished website - its a night and day difference in colour no matter how you try to adjust the colour controls.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

never mind... :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

It interesting to see that we are both building the same tank at the moment, both M4a1 75mm and when you look at the build threads they are worlds apart. But it’s only when you have builds running at the same time of the same tank just how many changes were made in the space of 12 months.
It’s your tank it’s what you make it

Return to “Heng Long Builds”