RAMSCHAUFELPANZER PANTHER

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: RAMSCHAUFELPANZER PANTHER

Post by BarryC »

It's always been said as soon as you start a unique build some manufacture will do one as well.

Not 1/16 but...

http://armorama.com/modules.php?op=modl ... ad&order=0

;) Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

:/ Typical !!
Still, once this is done it should be a bit different.

Ive got almost all the hull blemishes out, and used a lot of putty in the process.
Next A/D I do(and you just know there will be one) I will melt plastic into/onto each blemish as required, then sand, then putty & sand to finish.
As I mucked up the rear quarters by 3mm a side when I set the side plates in place, I've had to make fill in pieces to allow the overlap of the sides to the rear plate. :problem:
I was kicking myself, but then in a moment of calm reflection I just asked myself "what would Mr Mcq11 or Mr Hugill or Mr 'C' do" ?
Certainly not get the sooks on & leave it !!

The sides now look right to the rear, and all thats left to fix there is a final sand off , fit the stowage bins & exhausts then its on for the electronics, and set the upper in place for detailing.
Next mission is the turret zimmerit.
Attachments
P9150018.JPG
P9150017.JPG
THANKS FOR THE TIP MR ESTERNICHE
THANKS FOR THE TIP MR ESTERNICHE
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Next A/D I do(and you just know there will be one) I will melt plastic into/onto each blemish as required, then sand, then putty & sand to finish.
I've had good results by saving the dust/powder from cutting and filing the Heng Long plastic, then mixing it with Tamiya extra thin cement to make a really hot plastic putty. It takes about a day to really cure and it shrinks quite a bit, but it sets hard as a rock and it's just as strong as the ABS around it. I imagine it'd be worthless on any other material, but it's worked well filling holes in the Heng Long hull for me.
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

Have to say that's going to be one hellava cow catcher.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Raminator wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:Next A/D I do(and you just know there will be one) I will melt plastic into/onto each blemish as required, then sand, then putty & sand to finish.
I've had good results by saving the dust/powder from cutting and filing the Heng Long plastic, then mixing it with Tamiya extra thin cement to make a really hot plastic putty. It takes about a day to really cure and it shrinks quite a bit, but it sets hard as a rock and it's just as strong as the ABS around it. I imagine it'd be worthless on any other material, but it's worked well filling holes in the Heng Long hull for me.
I've been practically sitting on top of the vacuum cleaner during this one 8O
Each pass with either the Ryobi or the sander means a storm of plastic.
Gets on the feet and can quickly traipse through the house, so once I'm done with a burst of material removing, I clean the workspace.
The side plates will be well covered with all the tool mounts & related stuff, but its a good idea to at least start with a clean slate so to speak.
I have used the glue-dust blend before, but its 6 of one & half a dozen of another as to results for me.
I reckon welding in the same plastic will be a more definite option. :think:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Xiaoshan_Sailor wrote:Have to say that's going to be one hellava cow catcher.
Ha!.......this "Chattanooga-Choo-Choo" will hopefully move actual debris from its path without fail as much as the olde Railroad cow catcher from back in the day !!
Be a fun thing to test out anyway !
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ive got the welds done around the deck plate to accentuate the unique interlocking design on the early D versions.
Plan to sand them down a little to reduce the coarse texture but still highlight the feature.
All welds & cutting marks are done.
Hull now needs the rear plate doing and handles & hooks placing.
I intend making the handles from paper clips.

The turret has its square patch zimmerit. What a pain that was !!
I used acrylic gap filler as its slow cure, easy to apply and is slightly flexible.
Its a fair representation of a well aged field applied pattern that again, will be sanded & picked at to reduce the peaks and blend the edges.
There is a bit of panzer-putty mask application later on, but not so much as the F05 Tiger that is going to be a drag ;)

Mounts and blade action soon
Cant wait to get primer on it
Attachments
P9210013.JPG
P9210012.JPG
P9220014.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Bit more done.
Various handles & hooks fitted. The early D's had the handles on the access caps on the engine deck hatch made as short "prongs" either side of each cap. Mine has one of the older ones, & one of the newer ones that had a more conventional handle right across the cap.
Ive also added the heat shields to the stowage bins. The lids are going to have representative hinges & latches added.
They will go on once the glue has set.
Used short cuts of brass tube as the stand offs, then secured dress making pins through holes drilled into the bins, and super glue all joints.
They will look ok for what they need to be.
Going to use strips of left over brass sprue from assorted vent screen mesh PE to represent the hangers used to attach the bins and side tool brackets to the upper deck plates. The orders were not to weld to the face of the side armour , it would compromise the face hardening.
Only the cleaning rod/ aerial tube straps were stitched to the side armour.
The spare track link hangers were also welded to straps which were bolted to the engine deck.

Soon to repair the front periscope guards, just trying to find the right shaped clothes peg ;)

Got primer on the turret. Looks right now !
The zimmerit is about right for the tank-dozers age, and its abuse over time to when the picture was taken.
Attachments
P9240016.JPG
P9240015.JPG
P9240013.JPG
P9240012.JPG
P9240011 (2).JPG
P9240011.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

You sir are the king of Zimmerit :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening, Herman!
It is a beaut' already! Nice to look at a well done tank as I have been slaving away on a truck for forever. Following along.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”