1946 Panther ~ Jnewboy Customs

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-vamping you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.

Postby Eastern Front » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:13 pm

STHV wrote:
Eastern Front wrote:Nice build..
Since you went the extra mile with the steel wheels, will you go the extra length and use the Tiger II transport tracks and 18 tooth sprockets? That would be correct for a Panther "F" or a 1946 or later Panther had the war dragged on.....

Cheers!


The Panther F did not use the steel road wheels, this was a trial run on about 28 Ausf G's, after the war representatives from M.A.N said that the Panther F was going to have the steel wheels but there is no documentation to support this
The Panther F was effectively just a slightly modified Ausf G hull with the new Schmalturm (narrow turret)

The Panther with the Tiger transport tracks was the Panther II which began development as a replacement to the Ausf D and adopted a part commonality with the Tiger 2 to ease production mid way through its development (it was never going to have an 88mm) but the project fizzled out due to the introduction of side skirts to the Panther D which meant that it was no longer worth making entirely new production lines, however the tank did continue very limited development similar to that of the E-100, many design features of the Panther II were incorporated into the Ausf G like the redesigned panniers and thicker side armour, engine deck layout, rotating periscopes etc as well as the idea to test steel road wheels on the Panther 1

Only one mild steel prototype of the Panther II was ever built and it never recived its intended turret (it was never even built) it was captured by the US and shipped back to Aberdeen proving grounds after the war, it was then sent to Detroit for testing then went back to Aberdeen and was fitted with the turret of an Ausf G, it was then transferred to the Patton museum in Fort Knox where it was restored and fitted with a different Ausf G turret

It is currently housed at the Fort Benning armour collection along with many other unique prototypes


STHV, You are partially correct.
Germany was going to start production on the Panther II, yes they made a 1 prototype, but were making more (There is a picture with I think 4 or 5 Panther II hulls on the Hannover production line) , However, M.A.N found that the Schurzen on the "G" was adequate to protect the tank from hand held anti armor devices. Germany decided to produce the "F", it would use the schmalturm and have the other upgrades of the Panther II design, that being rubber saving road wheels (Steel) and using the same tracks and drive system (Sprocket, Idlers) that the King Tiger uses, That being the New 18 tooth sprockets and the transport tracks. The Field tracks the King Tiger used were not necessary as the Panther did not require the lower ground pressure due to its lighter weight. There is documentation of this from the War files of the Bundeswehr archives and a few Panther references..

Cheers!
User avatar
Eastern Front
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1674
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:39 am
Location: Sumter SC

Postby STHV » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Eastern Front wrote:
STHV wrote:
Eastern Front wrote:Nice build..
Since you went the extra mile with the steel wheels, will you go the extra length and use the Tiger II transport tracks and 18 tooth sprockets? That would be correct for a Panther "F" or a 1946 or later Panther had the war dragged on.....

Cheers!


The Panther F did not use the steel road wheels, this was a trial run on about 28 Ausf G's, after the war representatives from M.A.N said that the Panther F was going to have the steel wheels but there is no documentation to support this
The Panther F was effectively just a slightly modified Ausf G hull with the new Schmalturm (narrow turret)

The Panther with the Tiger transport tracks was the Panther II which began development as a replacement to the Ausf D and adopted a part commonality with the Tiger 2 to ease production mid way through its development (it was never going to have an 88mm) but the project fizzled out due to the introduction of side skirts to the Panther D which meant that it was no longer worth making entirely new production lines, however the tank did continue very limited development similar to that of the E-100, many design features of the Panther II were incorporated into the Ausf G like the redesigned panniers and thicker side armour, engine deck layout, rotating periscopes etc as well as the idea to test steel road wheels on the Panther 1

Only one mild steel prototype of the Panther II was ever built and it never recived its intended turret (it was never even built) it was captured by the US and shipped back to Aberdeen proving grounds after the war, it was then sent to Detroit for testing then went back to Aberdeen and was fitted with the turret of an Ausf G, it was then transferred to the Patton museum in Fort Knox where it was restored and fitted with a different Ausf G turret

It is currently housed at the Fort Benning armour collection along with many other unique prototypes


STHV, You are partially correct.
Germany was going to start production on the Panther II, yes they made a 1 prototype, but were making more (There is a picture with I think 4 or 5 Panther II hulls on the Hannover production line) , However, M.A.N found that the Schurzen on the "G" was adequate to protect the tank from hand held anti armor devices. Germany decided to produce the "F", it would use the schmalturm and have the other upgrades of the Panther II design, that being rubber saving road wheels (Steel) and using the same tracks and drive system (Sprocket, Idlers) that the King Tiger uses, That being the New 18 tooth sprockets and the transport tracks. The Field tracks the King Tiger used were not necessary as the Panther did not require the lower ground pressure due to its lighter weight. There is documentation of this from the War files of the Bundeswehr archives and a few Panther references..

Cheers!


Is this the image you are reffering to?
https://i.imgur.com/ObRGn7U.jpg
User avatar
STHV
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 pm
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK

Postby Eastern Front » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Yup, I beleive that is the picture...

Thanks, saved me from digging and scanning! :thumbup:

Cheers!
User avatar
Eastern Front
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1674
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:39 am
Location: Sumter SC

Postby STHV » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:52 pm

Eastern Front wrote:Yup, I beleive that is the picture...

Thanks, saved me from digging and scanning! :thumbup:

Cheers!


Hulls 2,3,5 and 7 are Ausf F, the rest are Ausf G
User avatar
STHV
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 pm
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK

Postby STHV » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Easy way to tell is the sliding drivers and radio operator/machine gunner hatch rails, this was exclusive to the Ausf F and is not present on the Panther II (during the Panther II's restoration it was also fitted with an Ausf G hatch plate (you can tell because it doen't fit properly
User avatar
STHV
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 pm
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK

Postby Eastern Front » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Right,

I was reading my reference on the Panther, it listed 5 Hulls of the Panther II in progress, I know I saw the picture somewhere, just can't remember where, they were all mild steel though...

Cheers!
User avatar
Eastern Front
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 1674
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:39 am
Location: Sumter SC

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:10 am

Great information on this topic Its a great hobby and a history lesson at the same time
User avatar
c.rainford73
Major
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby jhamm » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:26 am

Hello,
for additional info, here a picture of the Panther II Prototype with weight rings instead of turret as captured:
panther2_5.jpg
panther2_5.jpg (35.15 KiB) Viewed 865 times
User avatar
jhamm
Corporal
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 am

Postby STHV » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Found this too
A walkaround including the interior of the Panther II
http://www.armorjournal.com/index-tanks ... I-NACM.php

I must say it looks like it would be a lot nicer to drive thanks to the King Tiger steering system
You can also see that it has early iterations of features implemented on later Panthers like the Ball MG, rotating periscopes and wider G style engine deck vents
User avatar
STHV
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 pm
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK

Postby Raminator » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Another unique and interesting build, Jon. I like the idea of breaking up the colour scheme of the tank with raw steel and red oxide panels, it's given me an idea for something similar later down the track. Looking forward to seeing how your weather and finish it!
User avatar
Raminator
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:57 am
Location: Newcastle, Australia

Postby Jnewboy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:10 am

I’m sorry I have not posted on here for awhile. My real job has stolen me away. I have slipped in a little work here and there and will post some new pics soon. Take care guys!
User avatar
Jnewboy
Corporal
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 am
Location: California

Postby Jnewboy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:14 am

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

I am finally finding a few minutes to get this finished. I need to glue this into place, make weld lines on the front and paint them. Then I will start on the IR scopes!
User avatar
Jnewboy
Corporal
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 am
Location: California

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:11 am

Jon this is spectacular :clap:
User avatar
c.rainford73
Major
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby Jnewboy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 am

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr


ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr


ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr


ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr


ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

The front armor had to be made into a box that will be "welded" to the front. The idea is that the Germans wanted to increase the protection in the front to be comparable to the KingTiger but also increase the deflection angle so this thick steel box was welded and bolted to the front of the tank. Once I get the bolts in and the the scope mounts "welded" on I will paint them close to the raw steel look but with more rust tones as the thinner sheets of steel will different look than the thick.

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

So these are the scopes from Shapeways. They are printed on the premium material, so well printed that you cant see the tiny ridges anymore that sometimes plague 3D printed objects.

The MG34 scope will be for the copula, then the gunner will have his own scope and light, the driver will have a scope and two lamps. To keep costs down Im going to cast the lamp and pour one out of resin instead of buying another.
User avatar
Jnewboy
Corporal
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 am
Location: California

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:19 pm

Well done. Following along with great anticipation
User avatar
c.rainford73
Major
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby Jnewboy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:35 am

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

I have not done one of these IR Panthers in several years. Now that I’m in the middle of it I remember how much work it takes. The first photo is of all the additional armor that I have handmade. It was then texturized and painted a base gray. Next I put a whole pallet of different rust pigments on them and it is held all together by AK rust enamel paint. Then it was hair-sprayed and a light coat of light gray was sprayed over the top in a splotchy pattern that is not uniform. It is then rubbed off with a wet brush and a toothbrush and toothpicks creating scratches and wear. Notice in several pictures I put the new armor parts next to the previous raw steel on the tank to show the contrast. It is important that this contrast exists as this metal was much cheaper and thinner and so would not have the same quality as the steel for the tank itself. I left off the bluing effect which is what gives the tank its cold blue steel it’s color and the additional armor is a lighter shade without the blue.

In the final slides you will see that I have mixed gunmetal with light gray and carefully airbrushed the outer edge of the armor to show the burn from welding. I will finish the pieces tomorrow with some graphite color around the edges and on the weld lines themselves. Then I will paint the scopes, paint the wheels and start weathering the entire tank with chipping and washers. We are getting close to the final assembly! 8)
User avatar
Jnewboy
Corporal
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 am
Location: California

Postby Soeren » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:38 pm

The textured effect on those panels is looking great :thumbup: :clap:
User avatar
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:27 pm

Brilliant work!
User avatar
c.rainford73
Major
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Your Panther is becoming a Chameleon: a sort of tank for all seasons :D Love the enviable workspace, with its impressive complement of paints, and other decorative enhancement tools :thumbup:
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Captain
 
Posts: 4365
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby Jnewboy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:51 am

43rdRecceReg wrote:Your Panther is becoming a Chameleon: a sort of tank for all seasons :D Love the enviable workspace, with its impressive complement of paints, and other decorative enhancement tools :thumbup:


Thanks! Yes it has taken a long time and several redos to get my workplace what I wanted/needed. I remember when I was starting to get back into modeling years ago I would work right on the kitchen table! but that ended with a ruined table, so I took it with me to the garage! (my wife got a better table) but my paints did not like the temperature changes out there and I needed better lighting and so it went on from there, now I have my own studio room, and yes I have way more paint in drawers :eh:

If you are going to be doing any large amount of work one really needs their own permanent setup. Storing everything and digging through boxes is the worst.

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr
User avatar
Jnewboy
Corporal
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 am
Location: California

PreviousNext

Return to Heng Long Builds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Trora and 6 guests