1946 Panther ~ Jnewboy Customs

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-vamping you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.

Postby Jnewboy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:04 am

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

I removed the guard at the top of the mantel, this tank will be to worn for that to have survived.

I mask off the metal and the oxide primer sections I want to keep

Now I remove the tape from the metal, I will re tape it each time I paint as leaving tape on to long can be dangerous when its finally removed.

The raw metal really looks good and stands out now that the tank has a non rust color on it.
Jnewboy
Corporal

Postby Jnewboy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 pm

I added a lot of detail, decided to remove both fenders upfront, bent up the side skirt with my heat gun. Camo is next.
Jnewboy
Corporal

Postby Soeren » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 pm

Jnewboy wrote:ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

I removed the guard at the top of the mantel, this tank will be to worn for that to have survived.

That guard was not present on all Panthers, so you would be good with this.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby Jnewboy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 pm

I put on a basic pattern using the AK interactive 1945 paint set but was not all that impressed but instead of starting over I decided to make it disc camo. Now normally you should paint disc camo with hard edges with no fade between colors but this cam is just one layer on this tank and in the end will only be partially visible. I will make sure the questionable areas disappear.

I was really disappointed in the mask I used. As you can see it had a lack of adhesion allowing it to lift up during spraying and now there faded areas. :thumbdown:

However again as you guys watch this process you will see that very little of it will show and I will be sure to only show the parts that came out good. This is the benefit of doing a tank like this. In 99% of models I would have started over. Disc camo looks great on surfaces that are flat and featureless. The next time I do it I will go back to my old way which is using different size circle stickers and put them on one by one! So fun!! :lolno:

This tank is to be a February 1946 Panther so next is the winter coat!
Jnewboy
Corporal

Postby Jnewboy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:14 am

I went to SanDeigo on vacation for a week and when I came home I reread my last post and viewing the pictures I realized why no one responded! :P

I know many of you may have been scratching your head and wondering what I was going to do now?

Its ok, for many years I built models and when I would make mistakes I would really get angry at myself and totally redo something that really could have been fixed/hidden or touched up rather than starting over. So I learned how to fix issues and luckily this one that is easy to fix.

First off I repainted the turret,

Looks much better and the areas that have issues will never be seen anyway.

This Panther will have all the extra armor it can get and so the turret will be protected by extra track links.

I make my own hooks!

Need to paint the tracks and hooks then they will go on.

NEXT IS WINTER!
Jnewboy
Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:40 am

Nice to see you back at it. San Diego is a beautiful place!

I see your repaint has helped. Very interesting so far....
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Jnewboy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:31 am

In this post you will see a lot of the tank start to take shape.

Im sorry that I miss things during the build that I don't document. I move quickly when I get a chance to sit at my work bench and even though I take pictures every few minutes I sometimes miss steps.

sanding tracks

Paint tracks with grey mixed with alittle brown then coat the whole thing with track rust wash and then blot it off with a paper towel.

I noticed that I needed more diversity in the top front of the tank. between the gun mantel, the top plate there was to much red oxide color in one spot and so I decided to go back and fix this by changing the plate out above the crew to look like the raw steel look similar to the side plate.

The oxide primer needs to be faded and weathered a bit to give it a real look. so I spatter a little crusted rust enamel then quickly scrubbed it with odorless thinner. Do this over the whole surface but spatter the rust unevenly to give it a more real look.

Paint tools and put them on but do not glue them on yet. they need to be in place to make the winter camo right but must be individually weathered latter so they will be removed after the winter camo.

Im doing what is called "dragon tooth winter camo" It was rare but can be seen on tanks that spent a lot of time around the fortifications especially around tank obstacles known as dragon teeth. It could have been put on with a brush but realistically it was often applied with a broom, its just faster but messy, something I take into account when I paint. I must use a brush and I must not be too neat so I used a course old stiff brush,

I use washable mig paint as I will go back and remove and blur some of it.

Be sure to tape off red oxide and the bare metal parts to not get any white on them.

I will do the turret tomorrow. then I will move on to the next major step. Anyone want to guess whats coming next?? :P
Jnewboy
Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:45 am

Jon this looks spectacular that winter white wash really makes it come to life
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Jnewboy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:29 am

c.rainford73 wrote:Jon this looks spectacular that winter white wash really makes it come to life

Thanks my friend! I appreciate the feedback!

When it gets too quiet I start to ask myself why I'm taking the time to take pictures constantly! :haha:
Last edited by Jnewboy on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jnewboy
Corporal

Postby Jnewboy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:32 am

Not much today except some shots of the turret

Jnewboy
Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:50 pm

Wow that really looks nice!
c.rainford73
Major

Postby HERMAN BIX » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:53 pm

Yeah I like it with the saw tooth white wash.
You going to add deck and roof armour?
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby Jnewboy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:04 am

HERMAN BIX wrote:Yeah I like it with the saw tooth white wash.
You going to add deck and roof armour?

You guessed it! but not just the top but the front also. I was inspired by this model.

Image1/35 Paper Panzer by jon newsom, on Flickr

I painted the gun and cut out the new front plate.

I make tiny notches all the way around the plate then sand it to give it a look like it was raw and cut in the field by a torch.

I make the parts ruff by coating them with spray paint and letting it snow down on top. I will paint tomorrow.
Jnewboy
Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:52 am

Nice trick with the dremel makes for a more realistic rough cut Jon. I assume you spray the paint across the surface and what sprinkles on makes a rough cast texture.
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Eastern Front » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:20 am

Nice build..
Since you went the extra mile with the steel wheels, will you go the extra length and use the Tiger II transport tracks and 18 tooth sprockets? That would be correct for a Panther "F" or a 1946 or later Panther had the war dragged on.....

Cheers!
Eastern Front
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby Jnewboy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:46 am

c.rainford73 wrote:Nice trick with the dremel makes for a more realistic rough cut Jon. I assume you spray the paint across the surface and what sprinkles on makes a rough cast texture.

Just point the can about 1 foot away and at an angle. That way it kinda snows down on the object instead of coating it. It creates a rough texture that looks great when I weather it later.
Jnewboy
Corporal

Postby Jnewboy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:52 am

Eastern Front wrote:Nice build..
Since you went the extra mile with the steel wheels, will you go the extra length and use the Tiger II transport tracks and 18 tooth sprockets? That would be correct for a Panther "F" or a 1946 or later Panther had the war dragged on.....

Cheers!

That would be cool but I have only seen that setup on the e50. I wanted this to be a Frankenstein of Panthers thrown together in a last ditch effort in 1946.
Jnewboy
Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:47 pm

Jon I've seen your work before (Jagdtiger build) etc....and am taking notes as you proceed. Nice tips along the way!
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Soeren » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Fantastic build with some awesome ideas. I especially like the bare steel sections. Plan to do something like that on one of my 1/35th scale kits in the future.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby STHV » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:40 pm

Eastern Front wrote:Nice build..

Cheers!

The Panther F did not use the steel road wheels, this was a trial run on about 28 Ausf G's, after the war representatives from M.A.N said that the Panther F was going to have the steel wheels but there is no documentation to support this
The Panther F was effectively just a slightly modified Ausf G hull with the new Schmalturm (narrow turret)

The Panther with the Tiger transport tracks was the Panther II which began development as a replacement to the Ausf D and adopted a part commonality with the Tiger 2 to ease production mid way through its development (it was never going to have an 88mm) but the project fizzled out due to the introduction of side skirts to the Panther D which meant that it was no longer worth making entirely new production lines, however the tank did continue very limited development similar to that of the E-100, many design features of the Panther II were incorporated into the Ausf G like the redesigned panniers and thicker side armour, engine deck layout, rotating periscopes etc as well as the idea to test steel road wheels on the Panther 1

Only one mild steel prototype of the Panther II was ever built and it never recived its intended turret (it was never even built) it was captured by the US and shipped back to Aberdeen proving grounds after the war, it was then sent to Detroit for testing then went back to Aberdeen and was fitted with the turret of an Ausf G, it was then transferred to the Patton museum in Fort Knox where it was restored and fitted with a different Ausf G turret

It is currently housed at the Fort Benning armour collection along with many other unique prototypes
STHV
Lance Corporal

PreviousNext

Return to Heng Long Builds