5TH GUARDS TANK ARMY T34/85, Cherkassy, Zhurzintsy–Hill 239

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

5TH GUARDS TANK ARMY T34/85, Cherkassy, Zhurzintsy–Hill 239

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Had the good fortune to be given an almost new 2.4G H/L T34/85 as an exchange for ongoing repairs, modifications & painting of a guys other tanks.
Now I have no specific need for a T34, but as its come in via the "gratuity supply line" I've decided to do a bit with it & see how it ends up.
First I cut all the mudguards off (ya just cant give me anything good), took it apart & removed the engine deck rear hatch. Then the lowering of the suspension sit using short bits of 5mm tube(toob to you left-hand-drivers) superglued into the travel slots to lower the suspension arms & give the tank a better poise.
Plan is to only use spare bits or creative alternatives to buying anything. No metal upgrades at all, a keep it simple stupid and run it caper.
I see it ending up as a whitewashed roughy from the winter before the start of Operation Bagration era.
Heavy on the mucky lower hull, real rough on the whitewash, unwashed & unloved.
The engine deck cover is a painful yet necessary mini-project to get rid of the all plastic mesh that isnt mesh, and replace it with actual mesh inside actual open sections of deck cover. :/
On my Bedspring version, I use this access to lube the gear boxes. This one will be the same, although I wont go as far as making the louvers that should be under the cover.
Pictures when I can..............
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Re: YA JUST CANT GIVE ME ANYTHING GOOD !

Post by Will01Capri »

Pictures ;)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ok, camera now back.
I did decide to add the louvers under the engine cover.
Mainly so the gear boxes can be lubricated.
Even though this is going to be a simple & cheap/free build, I need to predict the future.
I went through my boxes and boxes of 'snot' parts & found some metal drive sprockets & idlers(no idea where or when they were procured :/ ), so I will put those to use.
Attachments
P6010012.JPG
ENGINE DECK LOUVERS
ENGINE DECK LOUVERS
RIDE HEIGHT SPACERS
RIDE HEIGHT SPACERS
P6010014.JPG
P6010013.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman!
It is turning out very well. Phil Upton would like that upgrade on his suspension tweak muchly. He may still be here on the forum and can chime in some appreciation. Super neat job on the louvers and grills.
Following along,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks Mr Painless, the suspension lowering is just a mandatory for these things out of the box.
The engine deck cover mesh is also a must-do. The filled in plastic just does not cut it.
Getting all the infill out is not a quick process, but its well worth the effort.
I will not hinge the cover though, thats a bit unnecessary for this cheap & cheerful version.
Tonight I've added putty on both sides and stippled a stiff brush over it to give a bit of texture, but more importantly to blend the surface together after cutting the mudguard runners off.
The real things were stitch welded to the sides, not bolted like German tanks of a similar size.
Pictures show they were only stitched on the top edge, not underneath as well, so if levered upwards enough, or enough times, they do break off.
Once the putty is dry I will hit it with Mr Surfacer 500 to further add to the texture of the armour.
Downside of removing all the mudguard runners is now I have to simulate weld along the entire hull where the sides meet the sponsons ! :/
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: 5TH GUARDS TANK ARMY T34,WINTER PRE BAGRATION

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Got some welds on.
Used my melt-method to get the rough look of welded joints in the relevant spots.
Its very liberating to know that rough-enough is good-enough !
Just like the real ones. ;)
I can feel myself sinking into the abyss that is "do it properly,load it with metal parts,get the details right"
But I'm trying to resist !!
Attachments
P6040012.JPG
P6040011.JPG
missing guard welds
missing guard welds
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman!
Good morning. Both Heaven and Hel are in the details. All of us 'detail' Tankers are there already and saving you a seat at the table. ;o) The Sov Armor is really coming along nicely, Doc.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Awesome details
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks lads. Been delving into this unit to get a feel for how they looked at various times and they were a very well used bunch!
Turret markings were optional it seems, or, the rate of losses was so high that replacement machines were not even bothered to be marked.
I think the white wash will be brush painted this time, still over hairspray, but added in a scale rough way,
I might try a slogan on the barrel too, as was done on occasion.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I think this machine one will be one of the elements of the 5th Guards in this epic.................Zhurzintsy–Hill 239

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... ssy_Pocket
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Heng Long Builds”