First the zimmerit and now the Tiger chassis

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
mickyb
Corporal

First the zimmerit and now the Tiger chassis

Post by mickyb »

Hi folks

Today was a good day to begin the chassis upgade or so I thought. I unpacked all the parts, laid them out and took some fotos for those of you sensible enough not to cancel the family holiday and spend the cash on these parts yet.

I took several fotos for you and discovered that the camera was faulty, I should have realised that someone was telling me something.......

During the assembly dry run I discovered the following....

The odd screw and nut was missing,

The idlers are made in two parts... they did not fit each other and need a lot of work,

The idler mounting / track adjusters look great but the instructions are useless,

The suspension arms look great and fit the chassis strengthener ok, but the original wheel axle screw end is too small for the hole in the suspension arm.

The chassis strenthener beams are well made, but the instructions are poor.

These parts cost a fortune and should be finished to a higher standard and in my opinion, the instructions should be better. If the suppliers are supposed to be tank enthusiasts themselves, they should recognise the needs of the less experienced modeller and produce better instructions.
I believe that all the suppliers sell the same parts so there is no point shopping elsewhere as the same problems will probably be experienced.
Is it just me or has anyone else had these problems. I am far from daft so I dont expect I am alone in being perplexed at the installation of some of the parts either.

This is where I fall upon your good nature chaps...... Has anyone fitted the idler mounting / track adjuster, if so how did you do it?
My instructions are blurred and what I can read is short in detail.

Has anyone fitted the metal suspension arms... if so what wheel axle screws did you use.
I should have collected beer mats
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Re: First the zimmerit and now the Tiger chassis

Post by [ICE]monkey »

been there , had the same trouble ,will pm you
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place
adin
Lance Corporal

Post by adin »

I find the lack of instructions with some of these mods quite frustrating. They cost a fair bit of money - so is it too much to expect a few lines explaining where they go?
grim_marmazet
Staff Sergeant

Post by grim_marmazet »

Hi Mike, shame to hear your having troubles. I'm sure the very talented guys on here will be able to help.

I'm going to be in the same boat soon, lol. it's ok, we'll muddle through.  :P
afv
Lance Corporal

Post by afv »

Mickyb,
had the same problem eith the suspension arms, what i did was to file the splines on the axle so they just slipped into the arm then i drilled the side of the arm with a 1.5mm drill then followed it with a 2.5mm drill, tapped the hole with a 3mm tap and used grub screws 3mm dia , 4mm long
afv
Lance Corporal

Post by afv »

try again.
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BREL »

I drilled myne out with a 1.6mm drill and taped them with an m2 tap
afv
Lance Corporal

Post by afv »

That's too small for me, can only just see the tank.
Wight
Lance Corporal

Post by Wight »

Superb idea,I would never have though to do that!
Also if the grub screw is on the lower side of the arm it would be easy to remove the road wheel and shaft for maintenance etc.
afv
Lance Corporal

Post by afv »

hi,
just like to say it's not my idea, credit go's to Pzrwest who posted it awile ago on another forum

regards  jack.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”