My Tiger Tank Project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
seb4
Private

Re: My Tiger Tank Project

Post by seb4 »

Jimster wrote:I must be crazy. I’m going down the same rabbit hole that did with model railroading. Prototype accuracy. I’m really wanting to model an initial production “Leningrad” Tiger. Since I’m going through the trouble of adding a metal Taigen hull I might as well go all out. I guess I’ll have to scratchbuild the saddle bag side storage bins and since the new hull comes with a new backside I’ll model it to mimic the #100 without the air cleaners and such. I have to remove the side skirts as well, remove the turret escape hatch and add the extra pistol gun port. I also removed my beloved mesh screens over the engine bay grills as they weren’t on the initial Tigers. There’s many other changes to be made but we’ll see just how far I’ll go. I’m just very intrigued by the look of the initial production Tigers and I don’t see very many models of them. It may not turn out 100% accurate but it’ll be close.
This project has definitely taken a turn. This isn’t a hobby, it’s an addiction! Help!
You do a great job weathering, detailing and making as accurate as possible, hats up for that! :clap: I feel with you about the addiction part though. I went into the RC tank world few months ago and have also that tendency to develop a octd, a Obsessive-Compulsive-Tank- Disorder :( because as a former model builder I wanted everything perfect.

I resisted it by making a plan with my Leopard 2a6 and doing it in several small steps, extending it over months. It really lessens the pressure and stress to deliver everything in one go. When it works it works and no need to ruin your pleasure on your tank by modding forever. Everything in life is imperfect and so is your Tiger. Who cares when you go outside, see your Tiger riding in all it's glory and enjoy like no non RC tanker will ever know.

And it definitely helps when you do not adhere to all good-hearted advises you get. Pick out the ones which suit you and forget the rest. It really prevent you to going crazy.

Just my two cents and really, really no offence meant to everyone. They and me do it to help you, now you must help yourself to decide what works for you and what not. Happy tanking! :thumbup:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

You have nailed it exactly Seb,
We advise we never Direct,
You ask questions, we answer but it is absolutely your choice whether or not you act on our answer. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
seb4
Private

Post by seb4 »

Jimster wrote:True. I haven’t used enamel paint very often in quite a while. The quality of modern acrylic paints has definitely improved and easier to use for me. A top coat of clear finish helps with the durability of it.
Acrylics are great, but Humbrol paint or artist oils are still the best for hand painting and dry brushing in my experience . They need more time to dry and a top coat of clear acrylics over oil paint is good, they don't bite each other.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Or, you do what I've done, buy a few spare tanks/doubles, and the ones that run well out of the box, play with, bash them about, get them dirty etc, while you buy upgrades etc for their twins. Only one danger, you may get overly tempted to have triplets and quadruplets, meaning more upgrades etc :{
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Post by Abe Froman »

Looking good Jimster :thumbup:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Made a little progress but still a long way to go. I’ve been viewing images online to get some ideas for these early Tigers on the Eastern Front. There’s a great variety of details to choose from so I’m just using what I like. I especially like the shovel and bolt cutters attached to the rear. Of course the bucket must make it’s appearance:). Thanks for checking in and of course criticisms and suggestions are always welcome.
Attachments
CB8F4715-E429-4A09-A6AB-D1759662CB9A.jpeg
CB8F4715-E429-4A09-A6AB-D1759662CB9A.jpeg (83.52 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

This evening I added the Taigen metal radioman and driver hatches. Now I can reach in and turn the switch off and on without removing the upper hull. Now I’m just waiting for the Aber fire extinguisher kit to arrive.
Attachments
0F26F8A6-1C29-49F6-98E8-CE58D1C6A156.jpeg
Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Post by Abe Froman »

Looking good Jimster.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

This Aber fire extinguisher kit is fantastic. It’s like a work of art in detail. I have a couple of questions about the color of the extinguisher and mounting bracket which I believe would be gray and the correct label to use for a very early Tiger. Should I use the black label or the yellow lable? Sorry for the newbie questions.
Here’s the kit so far.
Attachments
F3C49C24-B84C-4A3C-91B5-28829EABC02E.jpeg
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I have been informed that most were mid grey or dark yellow.
Open fighting compartment AFVs had red ones.
Attachments
8D46CDE4-C217-4847-9948-E8E384D2E7B0.jpeg
8D46CDE4-C217-4847-9948-E8E384D2E7B0.jpeg (52.76 KiB) Viewed 2876 times
D9D2CAB6-DF04-4229-8802-877A34F50AA0.jpeg
D9D2CAB6-DF04-4229-8802-877A34F50AA0.jpeg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 2876 times
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Heng Long Builds”