My Tiger Tank Project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: My Tiger Tank Project

Post by Jimster »

I’ve developed an interest in adding a tank crew to Ol’ Ugly so here’s what I’m working with. I plan on making the commander’s head turn by utilizing a little animatronics. I just started the painting process tonight and I’m going for a haggard, road dust covered crew. I still need to learn how to paint convincing skin tones. Thanks for looking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

For a guide to painting faces, have a look on YouTube for videos by Dave Youngquist or Last Cavalry TV. He is a master of the dark art
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thank you Silversurfer1947, I’ll check that out.
In preparation for adding servos for animatronics I swapped my 8 channel receiver for a 10 channel fs-IA10b for the two extra channels. Just like the FLW-200 remote weapon station on my Leopard I’ll be able to control figure movements with servos hooked up directly to the receiver’s channels 9 and 10.
For some reason I always have a hell of a time binding receivers to my radios but I finally got it. Very frustrating and no it’s not due to the effects of whiskey. Probably.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

I wonder what is the issue of binding the receiver to the radio? I only did this once and can’t remember it to be of too much of a hazzle. Have to do it again in the future though.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Most likely due to my complete lack of electronic prowess and difficulty with following, or remembering, proper procedures for the different radios and receiver manufacturers I’ve used even though they are similar.
On the other hand I’m very good at making the simplest task as difficult as possible.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Made progress on the Tiger crew tonight. Mostly worked on the loader. They’re covered in a bit more road dust from the “Rollbahn”. The Aber mg 34 ammo belt was a kind gift from fellow forum member, EAO.
Next step is making a mount inside the turret to attach my servo motor under the commander so his head can turn. Thanks for checking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

I love the flag tucked up to the cupola. The crew is looking great so far, too!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks, man! I have one more crew member ordered and on the way. Then this project will be mostly completed.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Animatronics/Mato Tracks

Post by Jimster »

Another video but this one’s my favorite so far. It shows my new Mato tracks which I weathered and I run them with more slack which I think looks cool and they haven’t slipped off at all. I prefer their appearance more than my Taigen or my Heng Long tracks.
This also shows my tank commander’s head turning back and forth every now and then. The servo is hidden inside the turret and hooked directly to channel 9 on my 10 channel receiver. I assigned my radio’s left slider to control the movement. I still think it looks a little creepy seeing a 1/16 figure move like that.
I had to film quickly and in one attempt because of the crazy rain here today. Notice my left rear track drags a rock briefly at 1:42 and in a led up to redo it and edit later but I just left it in the video. Thanks for checking in and please enjoy the short video.
phpBB [video]
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Jimster!
Great Video, Doc! I enjoyed the crew command ambiance and the Commander's swiveling noggin. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”