My Tiger Tank Project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: My Tiger Tank Project

Post by Jimster »

Super easy install! I still need to mash the edges down for a more form fitting look. I know this is redundant for most of you but I’m continuously amazed at how much better my tank looks with each additional detail part. It’s transforming from an inexpensive “toy” into a fairly nice model. Thanks to everyone that has helped me along the way.
Attachments
210A3B0A-AC4D-489D-9667-731B21BF05DF.jpeg
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I must be crazy. I’m going down the same rabbit hole that did with model railroading. Prototype accuracy. I’m really wanting to model an initial production “Leningrad” Tiger. Since I’m going through the trouble of adding a metal Taigen hull I might as well go all out. I guess I’ll have to scratchbuild the saddle bag side storage bins and since the new hull comes with a new backside I’ll model it to mimic the #100 without the air cleaners and such. I have to remove the side skirts as well, remove the turret escape hatch and add the extra pistol gun port. I also removed my beloved mesh screens over the engine bay grills as they weren’t on the initial Tigers. There’s many other changes to be made but we’ll see just how far I’ll go. I’m just very intrigued by the look of the initial production Tigers and I don’t see very many models of them. It may not turn out 100% accurate but it’ll be close.
This project has definitely taken a turn. This isn’t a hobby, it’s an addiction! Help!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you are serious about building an early early Tiger 1 there really is a lot of detail changes you will need to do.,
The front fenders can be made by adapting the existing fenders but the rear fenders will have to be scratchbuilt they simply do not resemble the later rear fenders in anyway at all, I had to build my own after searching the web for months to no avail,,
The tow ropes were reversed on the early Tigers,
The Air cleaners were two pots on one base unlike the later all in one units,
The Exhaust shrouds were rectangular instead of semi-circular which are easily made out of photo-etch,
There were two vision ports above the drivers vision slit,
The gunners binocular sights on the main gun mantlet were flat not raised as in the later early tiger,
Tamiya make a Sprue which can be bought separately this includes the early main gun mantlet and the early air cleaners,
The fire extinguisher was mounted over the leading right side engine bay behind and in line with the radio aerial,
Peddinghous sell a sheet of Fire extinguisher decals.
The starting handle was mounted on the lower right quarter on the back panel and there was no spare track holder on the front of the hull,
There is more but that's enough for now.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thank you, Jarndice! I do have my work cut out for me but I may not cover every detail change. It may not result in a blue ribbon model but I’ll be happy with it. The side storage bins will be a big challenge but I think I can make it happen with sheet styrene. I also think I can cobble together some rear mud flaps as well. Thanks for heads up and support. This forum is the most helpful modeling tool of all.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you go to ----
http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Tiger1zubehoer.html
and scroll down.
they sell the early Tiger 1 side pods and a blanking plate to cover the hole when you remove the rear stowage box for 25 euros plus postage.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks for fixing the link but I can’t figure out how to actually order it on the website. My German is rusty. It doesn’t appear to be too difficult to scratch build them but I would enjoy the convenience of having that kit. Ever time I turn around I’m introduced to tons of nice detail parts online. Almost makes my head spin.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Chris (Ludwigs) is a member of this Forum,
To order from him you have to E-Mail him telling him what you want and he will take it from there,
Don't worry his English is better than mine.
You will need a PAY-PAL Account.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you are having difficulty contacting Chris by E-Mail I suggest you go to the top of this page and click on Certified Vendors you will see "Chris3" if you PM him he will put you right.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Sweet. I’ve already emailed him and I want to thank you very much for your help.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Wardog, you are spot in every way. Absolutely great words of wisdom.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”