My Tiger Tank Project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
c.rainford73
Major

Re: My Tiger Tank Project

Post by c.rainford73 »

Glad to see you are having so much fun with the hobby! The tiger has really evolved
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks. I thought my Tiger was finished long ago but every time I look it over I see something else to improve. Definitely about the funnest hobby I’ve ever had. Now with the electronic improvements I’m increasing the enjoyment of the hobby exponentially.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Here’s a short video. Nothing too exciting but you can hear the two airplane user sounds and see a nice slow spin turn. I imagine this Tiger to be near a Russian village in 1942.
phpBB [video]
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Just as a reference for anyone trying to model one of the first 100 Tigers. They only carried 5 gun cleaning rods, 3 on the right and two on the left side. I just recently learned this and removed one of mine tonight or it would be driving me crazy. Thought I would pass on the info in case anyone wanted to use this thread as one of their modeling resources. Here’s my source: http://tiger1.info/EN/Cleaning-rod-holders.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DasPanzer
Corporal

Post by DasPanzer »

Does this apply to the late production ones as well? Good catch too my friend!!!!

My Tanks

Henglong Tiger 1 Early Production
Henglong King Tiger in progress
Henglong Jagdpanther almost complete
Henglong Panzer 4 fresh out of box
Henglong Sherman almost complete
Taigen Tiger 1 Late Production custom build with ELMOD hopefully.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Apparently only the first 100 tanks had 5 rods. After that they had the more familiar six. I found out that not many folks model the initial production Tiger 1 however I still think it’s important to expand the modelers knowledge base of info. Just in case.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I finally got around to using my Aber jack detail parts. I used a plastic Taigen jack for the project and the most difficult step was using a sharp chisel blade to carefully remove the part that the handle attaches to. That part needs to be reused so it was a slow careful job. I’ve seen other modelers get better results but I still think it looks better than the metal Mato jack I had.

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Here’s a quick comparison illustrating the difference it made.

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A very nice touch of detail often overlooked :thumbup:
I avoid the worry of slicing lumps out of my jacks by pin vicing a couple of holes in the jack then bend a staple to shape and place the ends of the staple into the waiting glue filled holes,
To finish off the jack I pin vice a hole in each of the jack holding brackets and push the shaft of a Shumo Wing/Butterfly Nut in place.
I long ago made up a batch of jacks ready fitted out and painted so that when the next build comes along the jack is ready,
I don't know why Heng Long/Taigen provide the ready folded handle which looks rubbish when the addition of a proper handle adds so much to the look of the jack as your pleasingly detailed example proves.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Mr. Jimster,
A worthy addition to that detailed and eye candy rich build. ABER uses the Tamiya ( or Taigen or MATO or HL ) plastic jack to achieve comparable realism. Fiddly but worth the work as you have shown.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
to this....JPG
to this....JPG
Step 18 is complete, whew!.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”