M4A1 concept for now

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Speedbird193
Recruit

M4A1 concept for now

Post by Speedbird193 »

Im thinking of making a m4a1 with the late vision cupola and mantlet and no loaders hatch using the m51 upper hull as a base anyone got tips info and especialy instructions on how to mount the early gun mantletImageImage

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: M4A1 concept for now

Post by Tiger6 »

As you are probably aware, the tank in your picture is right old 'museum mongrel' that is not representative of anything actually used in the war.
The Chieftain covered this particular tank on his channel a while back and notes most of the 'oh hey this ain't right' features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udnEpV160zU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld8UGWBdU5E

Frankie has made several small hatch conversions based on the plastic Mato M4A1 big hatch hull that come close, but he doesn't change the angle of the hull - 'close enough for government work' as my American friends would say ;) go check his work out for ideas.

The mantlet on the turret in the video is the late type M34A1, if you want an early then you need to look at the M34 mantlet - not easy to get hold of, Nick Agular makes a resin one which you would have to bodge on some how. Also if you want to make that specific tank in the video you'd need his low bustle turret and splice on the vision coupola from a HL or Mato sherman...

Some more info on turrets here:
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minu ... types.html

Hope this somehow makes sense?
Speedbird193
Recruit

Post by Speedbird193 »

I understand and i want o make a m4a1 i only used the photo as it was all i had at the time thanks for the info can you recomend some tracks that would suete itImageImage

Speedbird193
Recruit

Post by Speedbird193 »

Also do you think an m51 cast upper hull would surfice

Speedbird193
Recruit

Post by Speedbird193 »

I will modify the HL turret by removing the loaders hatch and other tweaks as a low bustle turret is out of my price range and use it being a late war refited tank as an excuse

Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

The production M51 was based on late model M4A1 'big hatch' examples that the IDF obtained from French surplus in the late 50's / early '60's. As such I'd contact Forgebear and see if he still has some Mato M4A1 upper hulls. Failing that Nick makes some very nice resin casts, but they are considerably more expensive. As I said, Frankie here on this board is the master of making small hatch M4A1's from the big hatch hulls - so long as you don't want to get to picky about the angle ;) If you want a 'correct' small hatch cast hull, then you are basically out of luck at this point in time :(

The bar cleat tracks in your photo are also out of production to the best of my knowladge, and in short supply -, again if you are in the UK/EU, check with Forgebear as he may still have some knocking about?

Sorry I don't have better news, but small hatch, early turret/mantlet Shermans are off the beaten track right now :(
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Speedbird193 wrote:I will modify the HL turret by removing the loaders hatch and other tweaks as a low bustle turret is out of my price range and use it being a late war refited tank as an excuse

Check that turret link I posted, its not that much work to lower the rear bustle if you have a razor saw and an eye for detail 8)
Speedbird193
Recruit

Post by Speedbird193 »

Oh i see i thaught the whole turret would have to be lowered

Speedbird193
Recruit

Post by Speedbird193 »

The m4 had a welded hull what were the diferances between this and the m4a3 upper hullImageImage

Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Ok so the difference between M4 and M4A3 is in the power pack. The front part of the hull is identical between late M4, late M4A2 and Late M4A3.

The late 'big hatch' M4 as sold by Tamiya has the air cooled R975 radial motor in it, with an armoured hatch over the intake. BUT it is only relevant for M4 105 models, as there were no other versions of the Sherman built in that configuration. All other M4's were small hatch.

The Heng Long and Tiagen uppers are M4A3's. They have the large grills over the engine (water cooled Ford GAA), as well as the more angled rear hull that accomodated the radiator pack. You can convert a Tamiya upper hull into a M4A3 by angling the rear plate and grafting on the correct engine deck, but these days its easier just to buy a Heng Long ;)

Hope this helps?

Return to “Heng Long Builds”