M4A3 Sherman detailing

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

M4A3 Sherman detailing

Post by kintaroukinji »

I upgraded HengLong Sherman M4A3.
This HengLong Sherman seems to be copying and expanding Tamiya's little old 1/35 MM Sherman (105 mm Howitzer) model. So the deformed and mold expressions that is still acceptable as 1/35 scale, and also some modeling mistakes parts are all exactly expanded. Perhaps manufacturers do not want to cost too much on the 1/16 scale, but not only HengLong but even TAMIYA are supposed to have expanded their 1/35 scale.
I introduced BEIER-Electronic 's USM- HL2 sound board and converted BB spec to barrel recoil, but the appearance of this tank is still like TOY. For the beginning, I did making grab handle, periscope guard, and commander's hatch back etc.
Besides this there are at least two parts that I have to correct in this HengLong Sherman. The first is a thin linear mold around the five flued filler armored cover caps on the engine deck. Certainly the old Tamiya 1/35 MM Sherman model has a similar mold. But in a real tank this is a cap hinge and a lock bar, and in the recent 1/35 Sherman model it is properly molded. This mold was scraped off, and this hinge part was rebuilt with 3 mm square plastic material and brass wire.
The second is the guard of the headlights and rear lights. It is clear for everyone that this is completely overscale as the 1/16 scale. Since the light guard of a real tank is made of strip rolled steel, it is not thick like this. I soldered the brass strip and recreate it.
Furthermore, since sand shield attachment at the lower side has been omitted, I added it with a brass strip with holes. The casting number inherent in the Sherman tank was also added by ABER 1.5mm Numbers. (Despite this being expressed in the 1/35 scale model, it is omitted on the HengLong 1/16 scale.) Since the bogie bracket cap (bogie bottom fastener) at the bottom of the VVSS suspension is omitted, I added the MengModel plastic screw. I also added a tow rope and holder frequently seen in real tank photographs. Although it is a little fine, I added a chain to the machine gun of Tamiya after parts.
Mounted next to the headlight guard is the headlamp plug holder. The Sherman tank headlamp can be pulled out, it seems possible to replace it with a spare plug in this holder. I made this with a pipe.
In the latest 1/35 scale model, this headlight plug holder is also represented without omitting it.
Attachments
Rope and casting number
Rope and casting number
Machine gun chain
Machine gun chain
Side view
Side view
Added tow rope
Added tow rope
Periscope guard and casting number
Periscope guard and casting number
Light guard and  headlamp plug holder
Light guard and headlamp plug holder
DSC_Sherman 0829_01.JPG (98.66 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
Sand shield attachment and bogie bracket cap
Sand shield attachment and bogie bracket cap
Flued filler armored cover caps
Flued filler armored cover caps
Light guard
Light guard
DSC_Sherman0707.JPG (74.01 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
Last edited by kintaroukinji on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Serpent
Private

Re: M4A3 Sherman detailing

Post by Harry Serpent »

Good Work. :thumbup: The guards are made thicker for strength, as finer plastic guards would break.

And fore those, that want the guards without the hard work...

Sherman Lights and guards, from forgebeartanks.com
Harry Serpent Profesional Coffin Dodger.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Thank you for reply. I knew there were metallic light guard parts for 1/16 Sherman tanks, but these were still relatively easy to fabricate. Rather it was more difficult and cumbersome for me to make the periscope guard to a satisfactory level.
I think that these detail improvements I made this time would not be necessary for major remodeling nor advanced skills, but would be relatively effective in improving the appearance detail for HenLong Sherman tank.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Well, the "CABALLELO" decal affixed to this Heng Long Sherman means "Knight:", It seems that this tank actually existed in the European battle field. This tank belonged to the US Army's 6th Armored Division 69th Tank Battalion. But as many modelers say, CABALLELO is the Sherman with 75 mm gun, not with 105 mm howitzer like this Heng Long Sherman. As for this, TAMIYA is not mistaken as expected. Despite copying TAMIYA, HengLong is sloppy halfway. Therefore, since I want to eliminate TOY-like places anyway, I removed the "Knight" mark and added an increasing armor to the side.as well as upgrading the VVSS.

Tank numbers are expressed in the front and rear of the tank, Towards the front, the division number and tank battalion number (for ex. 9 ? -19 ? is the 9th armored division 19 th tank battalion) are displayed on the right side of the tank, and the company name(HQ, A, B, and C) and car number are displayed on the right side. The right side mark on the HenhLong tank is “HL” (abbreviation of HengLong?). Probably it will be a playful mind.
I deleted these and decorated another decals.
Attachments
DSC_0877.JPG
Back view
Back view
Front view
Front view
DSC_0879_01.JPG
VVSS
VVSS
Side view
Side view
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Fantastic looking Tank :D
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Thank you.
Abe Froman
Lance Corporal

Post by Abe Froman »

Fantastic looking Sherman. Top work dude.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Thank you very much.
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Post by mutt71 »

I really like what you have done with this Tank. Really like it a lot.
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

mutt71 wrote:I really like what you have done with this Tank. Really like it a lot.
Thank you very much for your comment.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”