StuG III Ausf A2

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
c.rainford73
Major

Re: StuG III Ausf A2

Post by c.rainford73 »

Keep up the awesome work. I will make sure not to miss an episode of this build :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Here's some flash pictures of where it's at right now. I'll have to get some better ones outside and post them.
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg
I've got a couple of rider figures coming to add on the rear. I'm still undecided if I want to do a dusty lower, or add some snow, like in the inspiration picture. I did some light snow on my other StuG III build and I liked the way it came out, so still trying to decide. I've got one warm weather rider and one winter rider coming, so I guess which one I like better will be the deciding factor.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
lost_wolf
Recruit

Post by lost_wolf »

Capt. Love the turtle , those gear boxes are such a scale speed and the driver is amazing , you gotta show me some fiber optic tricks sometime . I'm still seeing spots from that strobe lol
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi Bill, that's a really nice build mate, great attention to detail, you gotta love a stug :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Thanks for all the great comments, guys. I'm going to get some more detailed pictures showing some things like the headlight mounts and details. I'll get them put up as soon as I get them. Been working on a First Person View tank setup today, but that's another post! :D

Bill
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

capt midnight wrote:Thanks for the great comments, Carl. And yes, it will have recoil and flash!
20180822_143643.jpg
I got the idea from Painless's build, and I really thought the short barrel would look great with recoil. I was kind of worried about the flash as it's all inside the metal barrel, nothing sticking out of the end, but it's still bright enough from the side to leave blue spots on your eyes! :crazy:

I'm about at a holding point, waiting on parts. I need the barrel trunion mounts to get the mantlet mounted in place and I think Herman has found me a set. The only other thing I have to pick up is a muffler. Getting ready to order one.

I really like the way it's coming along, so far. Much better than I was expecting!
He certainly has Captain !!.............should be floating down the Ohio river any day now !!
A marvelous looking tank, and very well executed.
The "StuG Life" has chosen you for sure :haha:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Thanks so much, Herman! :clap:

You sure know your geography, our house is about 4 blocks from the Ohio river. I'll just snag them as they float by! :thumbup:
stug life.png
Thanks again to all. I don't think that this projuct would have came out near as good as it has without the great help and input from all the great folks on the forum!

Bill
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning!
Lets Welcome our Newest Member to the StuG Life! ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Here's some more detailed pictures on how I mounted the headlights.

I used the plastic tow shackles as I figured they would be stouter than the resin parts. They are mounted to the lower hull.
35.jpg
For the headlights themselves, I put heat shrink over the leads, bent them over to 90 degrees, and hot glued then into some aluminum tube. I painted the interior of the resin housing with several coats of black paint to act as a light block. I then put some hot glue inside the light housing, and pushed the led into it. A bit more over the LED, and it's not going anywhere.

I put the upper on the lower and marked where the tubes would go through the front plate, drilled a hole, and using the tow shackles to line everything up, hot glued them in place.
36.jpg
Another angle
37.jpg
I didn't put any alignment pins in the magnets, so the upper hull just slides forward into place.
38.jpg
39.jpg
I had thought about mounting the lights and shackles to the lower hull, but it meant I would have to run wiring back to the lower hull from the 8 pin connector board. As it is, they are pretty sturdy and seamed to line up well with the shackles.

Bill
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I think I came across the 1940's version of StuG life.
th.jpg
th.jpg (42.4 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
Bill

Return to “Heng Long Builds”