WSN ~ Henglong Tiger I Transference

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jnewboy
Sergeant

WSN ~ Henglong Tiger I Transference

Post by Jnewboy »

I am building a few tanks at once, I wanted a early production Tiger I using the WSN/Hobby Boss version. I also have a client who wanted a mid production Tiger I w/zimmerit. This wont be a detailed, blow by blow build as taking pictures constantly really slows me down but I thought I would share a few pics of the process. I am curious if anyone else has done this conversion?

Image2018-06-26_12-20-04 by jon newsom, on Flickr

This is a good shot of the work so far, a removal and swapping of parts. I have already removed the shabby Henglong main gun completely as it is to short and replaced it with the Tamiya Tiger I gun and the Zimmerit ATAK kit. In the coming days I will finish the ATAK kit and clean up the surfaces on both then prime them for paint. I'll post another pic when they are both primed.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: WSN ~ Henglong Tiger I Transference

Post by c.rainford73 »

Following along looking forward to see what you can do with these
Tanks alot.... :wave:
tiger tiger
Sergeant

Post by tiger tiger »

looking good :thumbup: :thumbup:
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
jumpugly
Private

Post by jumpugly »

Hi Jon! Did pretty much the same thing with Merit/WSN parts and barrel moved over to a Heng Long turret. I also used a Mato cupola for a friend's "controversial" commission piece using Jeff Shiu figures. Worked perfectly for his needs. He didn't want any zimm though. :/
Good luck moving forward, Guy
Attachments
Men_Of_Bronze_033A.png
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

jumpugly wrote:Hi Jon! Did pretty much the same thing with Merit/WSN parts and barrel moved over to a Heng Long turret. I also used a Mato cupola for a friend's "controversial" commission piece using Jeff Shiu figures. Worked perfectly for his needs. He didn't want any zimm though. :/
Good luck moving forward, Guy
Why is it controversial?
jumpugly
Private

Post by jumpugly »

Some of my fellow modelers and especially figure painters thought the bronze "statuary" treatment with green patina was an unacceptable use of the tank and the Jeff Shiu figures (about $300 worth of figures!) despite the multiple stages of dry-brushing and washes. Not necessarily my cup of tea either, but I was happy with the result...in the end. This was designed as a sort of war memorial tribute to German tank crews. And I had a blast doing it. Besides, it led me to you guys here at this site!
Best, Guy
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

jumpugly wrote:Some of my fellow modelers and especially figure painters thought the bronze "statuary" treatment with green patina was an unacceptable use of the tank and the Jeff Shiu figures (about $300 worth of figures!) despite the multiple stages of dry-brushing and washes. Not necessarily my cup of tea either, but I was happy with the result...in the end. This was designed as a sort of war memorial tribute to German tank crews. And I had a blast doing it. Besides, it led me to you guys here at this site!
Best, Guy
I really liked it I think it's pretty cool. It does look like some kind of war memorial statue. You did a great job with the metal look. You're a good painter. If the Germans had one I can picture something like that being commissioned to sit outside of Brandenburg gate! :haha:
jumpugly
Private

Post by jumpugly »

Than you for the kind words Jon! :) It was a fun job...just waiting for the case to arrive. My friend was toying around with the idea of scattering a couple of human skulls amongst the barriers, but I didn't think they would be appropriate and would diminish any "nobility" the work might have. So I disabused him of that notion. Besides, a small box of 1/16th scale Verlinden skulls would go for about $50! :O
And yes, I am almost positive that there are some folks who would actually like to see war memorial like this. Thanks again!
Best -- Guy
Attachments
MenOfBronze_med.png
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

I did not intend on taking more pics before I primed it but I want to show how to fix the bulges on the bottom of the WSN Tiger.

You can see in the pic above of Jumpugly's WSN Tiger he used on his war memorial diorama that it has two bulges in the front lower plate which is incorrect for a Tiger I. They are there to accommodate the gears but the bulges themselves are unnecessary, the gears only actually go to the plate, not beyond it in the front so I cut off the bulges carefully without damaging the gears.

Image20180628_114041 by jon newsom, on Flickr

I also noticed another problem, the lower front plate on the WSN Tiger I is to thin, compare it to the Henglong version which Henglong actually got right. So I added a styrene sheet, doubling the thickness of the plate and protecting the gears in one.

Image20180628_114854 by jon newsom, on Flickr

Image20180628_114916 by jon newsom, on Flickr

The bottom portion was alittle more tricky as the gears do slightly extend beyond the plate but I did the same method but first put a thin sheet by the gears to hold up another then laid on top to equal the thickness of the other sheet above.

Image20180628_121010 by jon newsom, on Flickr

Now Bondo spot putty the top and edges and it will go to the paint booth for primer then wet sanding.

Image20180628_123858 by jon newsom, on Flickr
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Nice work Jon. Following along
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”