Taigen late panther G

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
tomhugill
Captain

Taigen late panther G

Post by tomhugill »

Some of you have probably seen this one up for sale a couple of times. I've been unable to shift her so I decided to actually do something with her. The vision is loosely based on a late mhn panther. However as you can see being a late version with chin mantlet theres an issue of the zimmerite variety. I tried to justify the mismatch of features in my head (prototype featured in aug 44 etc) but I couldnt square it in the end. So out came the (many) Stanley knife blade(s) and began the slow process of chipping off the miliput zim piece by piece. Some very sore fingers later she was done.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Taigen late panther G

Post by tomhugill »

Next stage was tidying up the remaining stubborn miliput with corse sand paper then applying Mr surfacer to produce the cast effect on the mantlet, cupola and vents and the rolled steel effect on the armour plates.ImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

The rolled effect Mr surfacer was then sanded again with fine sand paper to even the finish. At this stage detail bitss starting to be applied. Grab handles and lifting hoops, tamiya/schumo rear exhausts, tank modellbau spare track holders etc.ImageImageImageImageImage

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Wow that's really coming along very nice Mr Hugill
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Excellent work Tom, time consuming and frustrating removal of the zimmerit I bet but so worth it in the end :thumbup: have you planned what paint scheme you're going with yet, following along with this one,

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Model Builder 4 wrote:Excellent work Tom, time consuming and frustrating removal of the zimmerit I bet but so worth it in the end Image have you planned what paint scheme you're going with yet, following along with this one,

Cheers, Lee.
Hey Lee and Carl, thanks for the kind words. This is the vision! Hopefully I can get close. Image

Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Oooooh that looks awesome Tom, can't wait to to see it applied to your tank :D

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Looks promising. Following along.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

A dramatic change with the zimmerit Tom, it's pretty cool to see the original paint still underneath the milliput! Nice work with the Mr. Surfacer, the textures look great. How did you apply it for the rolled surfaces? I've done a couple of experiments but didn't like the way they turned out, but yours looks great.
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

This look also has some charm to it.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6

Return to “Heng Long Builds”