Zimmerit on Tiger

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
mickyb
Corporal

Zimmerit on Tiger

Post by mickyb »

Hi there......well all the metal upgrade stuff has arived so the fun begins. I have read mixed reports about Tankzone, but I have to say that all parts have arived within 2 days of the order being placed, well packed and labeled. It can be hard contacting them on the fone but Kin always fones me back mid evening without fail if I need to talk to him.

To the tank....

I stripped the motors and gearbox out of the hull, did a "run in" exercise and found a stiff gearbox and a dodgy motor, so I will always do this check on all future purchases....job done.

All the unwanted holes and dents have been filled and the hull completely stripped, so today I finished applying the Zimmerit. I used the Milliput as someone suggested, and used posted photos of your projects for guidance.

It wasnt hard, but it was time consuming and I would certainly recomend a lot of practice on plasticard before anyone starts this part of an upgrade.

I have attached photos from all angles, and I think you will see that I may have put it on a bit thick...... not to worry I am enjoying myself.
I pushed the Milliput out until it was about 1mm thick, but the act of pressing in a tool to give the ripple effect makes it thicker either side of the pattern made with the tool.... I think you will see what I mean from the fotos.

I have used the white and the red Milliput on the front. I think that if the paint gets chipped, the white will show up but the red will look like rust or red lead paint... so it wont look too bad till you get to touch it up with paint again. I have to say that the red is a bit more granular and so it is a bit more time consuming to apply so I only used it where it is likely to get walloped.

I have got an idea how to make the tow ropes and track replacement cables from wire....I'll let you know what happens.....

Thanks for all your enthusiastic support  so far, and a big thanks to Norse who is getting me out of the wet and smelly by sending me a replacement motor.

And before anyone says anyfin.....I know me spellin sucks.... ok
I should have collected beer mats
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Zimmerit on Tiger

Post by BREL »

nice work on the Zimmerit
Militarymight
Corporal

Post by Militarymight »

My God if you can afford Tankzone the credit crunch hasnt reached you yrt.
Nice work by the way. Look forward to the updates.
MilitaryMightUK
Suppliers of 1 16 armour and accessories
adin
Lance Corporal

Post by adin »

Really nice work on the Zimmerit - looks fantastic!

Can't wait to see your baby once she's finished. Reckon we should all form a Tiger battalion and show those pesky Shermans what reall tanks can do lol ;D ;D ;D
septon
Sergeant

Post by septon »

good jod  ;D
midland rep with too Many tanks
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

looking good , keep the posts comming.
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place
grim_marmazet
Staff Sergeant

Post by grim_marmazet »

Its looking awesome Mike! Can't wait to see the finished tank.  :D

Are you doing a Mid or Late tiger?
oztruck
Corporal

Post by oztruck »

Looks great. You have almost inspired me to give it a try too :o
HL Pershing, HL Bull Dog,HL powered T34/85 IR, HL Tiger 1, HL Pz III, Stug III IR, PzIV, King Tiger, WSN Tiger1 mid IR, T34/85 winter IR, HL Jagpanther IR
tankman

Post by tankman »

Damm good work. Even I am tempted to have a go now. All the best for now
Alan  ;D

Return to “Heng Long Builds”