Sturmi - A Finnish Stug

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Sturmi - A Finnish Stug

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's a colourised version of SA-Kuva's pic, with acknowledgement on the pic itself..
Just what are those Finnish colours, I wonder? I did find a couple of useful references.
http://kitnoob.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/f ... flage.html
https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=331
Colourised Finnish StuG 111- ca. 1944 pic by SA-Kuva
Colourised Finnish StuG 111- ca. 1944 pic by SA-Kuva
and re the wee manic mechanic, Thor would be about right, since he already has a hammer ;) :
Wee Nordic mechanic and part time- divinity
Wee Nordic mechanic and part time- divinity
Cartoon Thor.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

It would seem its not an easy question to answer without wartime colour photos.

Here are some previous builds of Heng Long Sturmis:
HL Stug 1.jpg
HL Stug 2.jpg
And then this:
Camo.jpg
Camo.jpg (77.2 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
Andreas Lärka’s Finnish armour website says of this restoration:
2013_53100802.jpg
2013_53100802.jpg (75.17 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
This MIAG-manufactured StuG's have been restored to it's war-time condition, including a replica of the rear eqipment box and the original paint-scheme. The work have been supervised by Mr. Jukka Purhonen, co-writer of the book "The Finnish armoured vehicles 1918 - 1997". The colour-shades used have been developed according to the research done by Esa Muikku & Jukka Purhonen and are as close to the war-time colours as you can get with modern paint.
2013_53100817.jpg
2013_53100817.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
But he then muddies the water:

The restore and repainting was made in 2003 (pictures below) and now, 10 years later, I finally made a new trip to Hamina to see how Aili is doing today. A roof have been built on top of her, and she still is in a very nice condition!

Here is a fresh paint photo!:
2003_53100828.jpg
2003_53100828.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
Here is some research I found on a supposed reproduction using Humbrol paint. I have no idea how accurate it is.

Moss Green: 10/11 Humbrol 116 and 1/11 Humbrol 131
Grey: 10/11 Humbrol 72 and 1/11 Humbrol 170
Sand Brown: Humbrol 170
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, I guess the colours are meant to reflect the prevailing light conditions and shades found in familiar Finnish settings: Northern Forests packed with Pine, Spruce, and Silver Birch; and thousands of lakes of course. :)
Actually, I rather like these muted pastel colours. Parts of of the Highlands resemble Finland. :) I might do my PZ IV in 'Moss Green' with weathering, and skip the other shades. I imagine that there were many rush jobs, especially towards the end of 'Lapland War' with the Germans (1944-45), and as consequence of the unremitting struggles since 1939. :think:
This webpage caught my attention, as it also provides little info on the 15 PzIV Ausf J's Finland used against it's former friendly power (not an Ally, as such...)
http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/TANKS7.htm
You've probably clicked on this one before, given the thoroughness of your 'Net trawling prior to a build. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Agreed about the Finnish settings.

I quite like the colours in this Tamiya build.
Tamiya Sturmi.jpg
The light colour is a muted grey sand. The brown is slightly reddish. The green is more leafy and less 'bright' than the HL builds in the earlier post. The info I found points to the wartime b&w photos where the green and brown are indistinguishable due to matching contrast.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

if my kids hadn't flown the coop decades ago (they're in their 40s 8O ), I could almost imagine decorating their bedrooms in camo like this... :thumbup:
If you think that's taking Tank modelling to the extreme (and it is), it couldn't be nearly as garish as the colours my daughter picked for her bedroom once: scarlet skirting boards, punk pink walls (her hair also went pink.. :O ), and blue door with a 'Keep out' sign on it...
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

I have a flat, but

Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Haha!

Do many people know what it is?
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

5 years, and only 2 people recognized it. Both were modelers.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Maccrage wrote:5 years, and only 2 people recognized it. Both were modelers.
That trumps me using a German helmet for building and gardening jobs around the home. :haha: :thumbup: In the UK you're expected to notify the authorities of any changes to the car, including the paintwork.
I just wonder how far the eyebrows would have gone up on the Govt. recipient of the news that the car now sported a three tone Tarn ambush pattern :O :wave:
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

This is gonna be a great tank. Keep it up :).

Return to “Heng Long Builds”