Torro Panther G

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-vamping you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm

After buying a plastic HL Panther G, I really wanted a full metal Panther, and I found one secondhand but brand new.

Like this one:

I was pleasantly suprised when I got it, although the turret and deck are plastic, the roadwheels/idler/sprocket/tracks are metal!
(and I really loved the 'correct' roadwheels, without the ugly Heng-Long rim :thumbup: ).

After looking at it for a couple of months while busy working on other projects, I decided I wanted to give zimmerit a try for the first time (at least the first try for me).

This is the final result:

But... This wouldn't be a build-thread if I wasn't gonna show you how, step-by step. So I will update this thread with many more pics...
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 pm

My zimmerit was a layer of Miliput, sticky stuff, but you get the hang of it after a while...

I ordered some 1/16 scale zimmerit stamps/tools and chose this pattern.

All the little details that look like damaged zimmerit were not created using skills, but are real f#ckups by me, I just decided I kinda liked it and kept it that way haha!

Yes I KNOW I did cover the barrel wrong, where it attaches to the mantlet, no worries, it was removed 15 minutes after this picture.
Carefully examining a lot of zimmerited Panthers helped.
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Oh, and it takes a LONG time to do this! Average 45 minutes for a long side of the hull, the front, the back, half of the turret, etc. so in total 5 hours or so?

Is that long?
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby maxmekker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Exelent stuff . like it alot :thumbup:
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Looks familiar I'm afraid? ;D

Now that I'm looking at my own workspace I'm surprised, ashamed and proud all at once whahahaha!
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:21 pm

maxmekker wrote:Exelent stuff . like it alot :thumbup:

Thanks, especially from you haha!
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Looks great Marco
c.rainford73
Captain

Postby SCHWEREPANZER » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 pm

This is one fine Panther. A fantastic paint scheme and I really like the way you placed the tactical numbers on the turret track links. Very nicely done! :thumbup:

SCHWEREPANZER
Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 pm

I appreciate the way you included a description of the tools, and methodology, you used to create the Zimmerit :thumbup: Milliput's a great product (made in Wales.. :) ), and allows plenty of time for the modeller to get the effect right. I didn't know you could buy 'zimmerit' stamps, that offer a range of patterns.. Now, that's a very useful tip :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Max-U52 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:37 pm

The zim looks great and you did a fantastic job, but I'm wondering if they were still using zim when the G appeared in March of '44? I think they were using zim until about October of '44, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, it looks really great.
Max-U52
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Norton1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Marco Peter wrote:Oh, and it takes a LONG time to do this! Average 45 minutes for a long side of the hull, the front, the back, half of the turret, etc. so in total 5 hours or so?

Is that long?

Actually a lot quicker than using Zimmerit plastic pieces. I had several days in mine simply trying to get the glue to hold. I won't ever do the sheets again. I really like your way and it allows a lot more leeway in placement of mounting blocks and tools. Great job!

Be well,
Steve

Norton1
Lance Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:40 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote:I appreciate the way you included a description of the tools, and methodology, you used to create the Zimmerit :thumbup: Milliput's a great product (made in Wales.. :) ), and allows plenty of time for the modeller to get the effect right. I didn't know you could buy 'zimmerit' stamps, that offer a range of patterns.. Now, that's a very useful tip :thumbup:

Look at this:
And the one I used, I couldn't find, it's somewhere on my desk, haha! But it looks like the one on the outer right, but larger.
[edit] Before everbody wants to know where I got these, the link....: http://www.hagen-miniatures.de/index.ph ... iew/45/108 Nice guy, low shipping, good stuff. Make sure to order more from him while you're shopping there anyway. ;-)

And some experiments I did:
Last edited by Marco Peter on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 pm

Max-U52 wrote:The zim looks great and you did a fantastic job, but I'm wondering if they were still using zim when the G appeared in March of '44? I think they were using zim until about October of '44, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, it looks really great.

According to the book "Panther - External apperance & Design changes" there are lots of Panther G's with zimmerit, BUT I must say I did not find a single photo of a G with the strengthened mantlet/chin and the crew-heater AND zimmerit, so I may not have created a historically correct vehicle... But then again the camouflage scheme is also made up, haha!
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 pm

About the zimmerit: Maybe next time I try Herman's method...
phpBB [video]
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby B_Man » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:47 am

Top job :thumbup:

I did milliput zimmerit on my Panzer IV so I can appreciate what a time consuming and sometimes frustrating process it can be. The results are well worth it though.
B_Man
Corporal

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 am

Mr Marco, are those stamps made out of cast pot metal? Or are they badly plated steel?

I was wondering if they could be heated up to do the screw driver technique?

Now with that all said and done, you've got more patience than me to take that job on. Well done you :clap:

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby Marco Peter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 am

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Mr Marco, are those stamps made out of cast pot metal? Or are they badly plated steel?

Good question - no idea!

It seems they are from a material that compares to the 1/16 weapons/tools/accessoires you can order, so I guess cast metal?
When I clean them, if I use a too sharp object like a hobby knife, small silvery pieces are cut off, so I think it's nog really strong material.

No idea about being able to heat those, what do you guys think?
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:25 am

Maybe not such a good idea then, sound even softer than pot metal, more like white metal.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:34 am

White metal is low melting point, usually used for small war gaming and fantasy figures.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby Marco Peter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 pm

Although I felt this was a necessary step it's not so visible on the finished model.

Anybody any advice to make it look even more 'cast'?
Marco Peter
Corporal

Next

Return to Heng Long Builds