Torro Panther G

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-vamping you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm

After buying a plastic HL Panther G, I really wanted a full metal Panther, and I found one secondhand but brand new.

Like this one:

I was pleasantly suprised when I got it, although the turret and deck are plastic, the roadwheels/idler/sprocket/tracks are metal!
(and I really loved the 'correct' roadwheels, without the ugly Heng-Long rim :thumbup: ).

After looking at it for a couple of months while busy working on other projects, I decided I wanted to give zimmerit a try for the first time (at least the first try for me).

This is the final result:

But... This wouldn't be a build-thread if I wasn't gonna show you how, step-by step. So I will update this thread with many more pics...
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 pm

My zimmerit was a layer of Miliput, sticky stuff, but you get the hang of it after a while...

I ordered some 1/16 scale zimmerit stamps/tools and chose this pattern.

All the little details that look like damaged zimmerit were not created using skills, but are real f#ckups by me, I just decided I kinda liked it and kept it that way haha!

Yes I KNOW I did cover the barrel wrong, where it attaches to the mantlet, no worries, it was removed 15 minutes after this picture.
Carefully examining a lot of zimmerited Panthers helped.
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Oh, and it takes a LONG time to do this! Average 45 minutes for a long side of the hull, the front, the back, half of the turret, etc. so in total 5 hours or so?

Is that long?
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby maxmekker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Exelent stuff . like it alot :thumbup:
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Looks familiar I'm afraid? ;D

Now that I'm looking at my own workspace I'm surprised, ashamed and proud all at once whahahaha!
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:21 pm

maxmekker wrote:Exelent stuff . like it alot :thumbup:

Thanks, especially from you haha!
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Looks great Marco
c.rainford73
Captain

Postby SCHWEREPANZER » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 pm

This is one fine Panther. A fantastic paint scheme and I really like the way you placed the tactical numbers on the turret track links. Very nicely done! :thumbup:

SCHWEREPANZER
Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 pm

I appreciate the way you included a description of the tools, and methodology, you used to create the Zimmerit :thumbup: Milliput's a great product (made in Wales.. :) ), and allows plenty of time for the modeller to get the effect right. I didn't know you could buy 'zimmerit' stamps, that offer a range of patterns.. Now, that's a very useful tip :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Max-U52 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:37 pm

The zim looks great and you did a fantastic job, but I'm wondering if they were still using zim when the G appeared in March of '44? I think they were using zim until about October of '44, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, it looks really great.
Max-U52
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Norton1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Marco Peter wrote:Oh, and it takes a LONG time to do this! Average 45 minutes for a long side of the hull, the front, the back, half of the turret, etc. so in total 5 hours or so?

Is that long?

Actually a lot quicker than using Zimmerit plastic pieces. I had several days in mine simply trying to get the glue to hold. I won't ever do the sheets again. I really like your way and it allows a lot more leeway in placement of mounting blocks and tools. Great job!

Be well,
Steve

Norton1
Lance Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:40 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote:I appreciate the way you included a description of the tools, and methodology, you used to create the Zimmerit :thumbup: Milliput's a great product (made in Wales.. :) ), and allows plenty of time for the modeller to get the effect right. I didn't know you could buy 'zimmerit' stamps, that offer a range of patterns.. Now, that's a very useful tip :thumbup:

Look at this:
And the one I used, I couldn't find, it's somewhere on my desk, haha! But it looks like the one on the outer right, but larger.
[edit] Before everbody wants to know where I got these, the link....: http://www.hagen-miniatures.de/index.ph ... iew/45/108 Nice guy, low shipping, good stuff. Make sure to order more from him while you're shopping there anyway. ;-)

And some experiments I did:
Last edited by Marco Peter on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 pm

Max-U52 wrote:The zim looks great and you did a fantastic job, but I'm wondering if they were still using zim when the G appeared in March of '44? I think they were using zim until about October of '44, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, it looks really great.

According to the book "Panther - External apperance & Design changes" there are lots of Panther G's with zimmerit, BUT I must say I did not find a single photo of a G with the strengthened mantlet/chin and the crew-heater AND zimmerit, so I may not have created a historically correct vehicle... But then again the camouflage scheme is also made up, haha!
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 pm

About the zimmerit: Maybe next time I try Herman's method...
phpBB [video]
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby B_Man » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:47 am

Top job :thumbup:

I did milliput zimmerit on my Panzer IV so I can appreciate what a time consuming and sometimes frustrating process it can be. The results are well worth it though.
B_Man
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 am

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Mr Marco, are those stamps made out of cast pot metal? Or are they badly plated steel?

Good question - no idea!

It seems they are from a material that compares to the 1/16 weapons/tools/accessoires you can order, so I guess cast metal?
When I clean them, if I use a too sharp object like a hobby knife, small silvery pieces are cut off, so I think it's nog really strong material.

No idea about being able to heat those, what do you guys think?
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 pm

Although I felt this was a necessary step it's not so visible on the finished model.

Anybody any advice to make it look even more 'cast'?
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Marco Peter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:15 pm

Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby Soeren » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Fantastic job, it really is. :thumbup:

Where can one get those letters and numbers?
Soeren
Staff Sergeant

Next

Return to Heng Long Builds