King Tiger in process

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Re: King Tiger in process

Post by Norton1 »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Not sure whether it was a slip of the fingers, but you should use the micro set first, apply the decal and then the micro sol.
I tried it both ways. Followed the directions on a couple of you tube videos. OI followed the directions on here. Followed the directions on the micro site. The decals are just too thick. I'm going to let them sit overnight and tomorrow I will see what I can do with them.

Thanks
Steve

Bummer on the misalignment. I guess I just got lucky.
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

While micro set and micro sol are very good, I've always had better luck with Walther's Solvaset. It also works great on decals that have been on for a couple of days. Snuggles them right down.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

We just went out and looked at them. They are having a difficult time setting into the Zimmerit. We put another coat of micro on it and wiped it down extensively. Better but not like it needs to be. So tomorrow we'll try one more time. If it doesn't settle like it needs to be, my wife, who is an accomplished painter, said she will paint the numbers on.

I'll look at the solvaset but am not sure I want to fool with it if I have to order it. Not when I have an offer to paint it.

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement.

Be well,
Steve
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Oh dear, that's such a shame about the decals. Especially after all you're good work.

Don't get me wrong chaps, I'm quite a fan of heng long.
I guess I got unlucky with my king tigers.
The Porsche runner I got new with metal tracks, sprockets and idlers, but this is the problem, even the non running Porsche is the same.

Mick.
There i supposed to be a spacer between that wheel and the body. I looked at that when I tore it down but mine didn't need any more shims. Just the one that was in it.

Be well,
Steve
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Steve Hi, I was surprised to read of the trouble you are having with your decals,
I have only had that problem once before and that was my fault for not reading the instructions that came with them, (Real men never read instructions :haha: )
What I thought was Waterslide decals were in fact "Applique" decals that merely needed to be pressed to a clean dry surface, my excuse is that I had ordered waterslide decals and "Elite" sent me something else,
Next before applying the "Micro-Set/Sol" did you clean the surface with Acrylic thinners to remove any grease or oil such as from your fingers when handling the Tank ?
Other than that I am baffled.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I had a Porsche turret king tiger with the same kind of problem and I found that the best fix is to put in a HennTech idler adjust. That and Toro tracks took care of all the problems with that tank and it ran like a champ after that.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Well it is day 2 of the infamous decal issue. We went out last night and applied more of the micro solution and pressed the decals down into the Zimmerit with a paper towel. This morning when I looked at them they appear to be setting in a bit better. I applied some more micro and we'll see. I think the decals would have set on like a champ had it been a flat surface. But the Zimmerit is a real bear in that the decals have to be super soft to meld into the finish. But it may just take several applications to get them t "stretch" enough to set into the little notches.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement! It does help to gather other ideas.

Be well,
Steve
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Well here's the result to date - I got to thinking that the issue appears to be one in which the decals are not soft enough to sit properly into some pretty fine cracks, i.e. the Zimmerit. So I got my handy dandy heater out, old hair dryer, and heated them up a bit and used a paperclip rounded corner to push the decals into the proper space. We'' see how it looks in a coupld of hours. But if it will stay there for a period of time I can then shoot a coat of Testors Dull Coat onto it and that would hold them down permanently.
20180205_135530 (700x525).jpg
20180205_135550 (700x525).jpg
20180205_135628 (700x525).jpg
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looking good
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

And it appears to be holding. I will pick up a can of dull cote tomorrow. Then I can begin the final assembly!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”