King Tiger in process

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: King Tiger in process

Post by Max-U52 »

I think a lot of that is due to the HL electronics. The motor controllers in the Taigen/Torro tanks are just much better. I'll bet if you swapped the Torro MFU into the HL it would run just as well.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

Thanks for the tip Max
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

My HL goes everywhere. In the sand, gravel, pasture, carpet, concrete, and dirt. It did get a stick stuck in the right track and I simply backed up to dislodge the stick and then off again. One thing I did before anything was to split the turret off and lithium grease the gears. It's super smooth and can turn fast or slow. I am very impressed with the control and speed. It's good enough that I am considering making it more authentic.

Be Well
Steve
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by greengiant »

You need to add Zim finish to really look correct. I used the premade ones and the results were very good. Only did the hull machine gun by hand using white filler.
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Zim finish - I think that is next. Will the Taigen stuff work? Or does it need to be HL only? I am right in that space that the tank is coming apart to adjust a few things, change smoker, turret tighten up, and would be a great time to do that. Anyone have a sure fire link for these items?

Thanks
Steve
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Steve I avoid Zimmerit like the Plague BUT it is acknowledged that "ATAK" make the best pre-cut Patterned Zimmerit and by a long way, http://www.forgebeartanks.com
A British company who sells worldwide is a reputable dealer and will get the product to you probably quicker than anyone else. £35 for a King Tiger but that is with Value Added Tax which as a resident in the USA you wont be paying,
The Postage will take some of the Tax's place :lolno:

The Smoker I would recommend is the TARR MK3 or MK4 they are both Proportional smokers that simply plug into a Heng Long Control Board,
The difference between them is that the MK3 is 15mm smaller, They cost £24 and I would recommend
http://www.rctankelectronics.com
again a British Company with a fine reputation,
He has the Franchise for the IBU2/3 series of control boards in the USA and has a good reputation,
Both Ian at RC Tank Electronics and Dave at Forgebear are members of this Forum and will happily answer your questions.
The smoker fluid of choice is "Mega-Steam" which is readily available in the USA as it is an American Product it comes in a multitude of aromas and can be gotten from Toy Railway stockists.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Avoid zimmerit like the plague - uh-oh. Why am I thinking xanax might be the best thing to soak my head in before I begin this process? I guess the next question would be, who has done this and how many are in the state institution for the marginally sane because of it? I have looked at several tanks that have used it and am always confused by the spaces that it is missing.

Zimmit is a welding process. The welding rod itself is a super hard metal that heat only increases it's strength. I Worked for Morrison Knudsen After I got out of the Marines in 67 and the welding shop burned this rod up by the ton on buckets and blades used in the construction process. Made them last a lot longer. At least my visual looks at tank hulls that this has been done to, in Germany a couple of months ago, that's what it is. It's not an absolute as the King Tiger in the tech-nik museum didn't have the welding done on it, least I don't remember it having it on it. But some of the fragments of a King Tiger did have it. I am amenable to being corrected though.

I received the decals from the German outfit and they are very nice. I will be ordering the track holders next and then spend some time getting that all set into place. It's a fun little project that is replacing my previous hobby of building hot rods. Thanks for all the advice and help - itis much appreciated.

Be well,
Steve
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

G’day Mr Norton.
Zimmerit is a huge addition to various German tanks.
I printed my StuG III in a waffle pattern and used a hot screwdriver to texture the traditional pattern on mybTiger1
I have a king tiger that will get a Zim coverage too.
Tiger Zim was applied by a trowel type tool similar to that used to lay tile adhesive.
It was a product that had various components including sawdust, cement, resins and was a mild inflammable during its curing process which was done with a flame torch in factories or sun cured in field.
It was purely to defend against magnetic mines .
Various tank types were Zim discontinued in stages so a bit of research for relevance to your intended model would be wise.
Hey, if it feels good- just do it !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Steve there is an amusing sideline to Zimmerit,
It was applied to German Armour to prevent Magnetic Anti-Tank Mines from sticking to them,
A Clerk in a Berlin War Ministry in mid 1944/early 1945 pointed out to his/her superior that the only Army in the European Theatre of War using Magnetic Anti-Tank Mines was, Yes you guessed it, It was the German Armed Forces.DOHHH,
It was steadily discontinued after that so if you know your German Army Units and the Dates you may get away without fitting Zimmerit and be historically accurate. :thumbup:
Both the early Tiger 1s and the late Tiger2s did not have it.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Well I'll be darned. Up close and personal it sure looks like welding. Crapola - now I get to order more stuff. Thanks for the clarification. More Guiness please!!

Be well,
Steve

Return to “Heng Long Builds”