King Tiger in process

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Re: King Tiger in process

Post by Norton1 »

Parts arriving. My only issue with any of it was an electrical part from germany. The instructions are in German. But I have seen threads here on how to install the part that stops the silly recoil on the tank.
Parts parts parts
Parts parts parts
Began work on the turret.
drilling mounting screw holes
drilling mounting screw holes
The metal turret ring gear needed a bit of work, cut off two mounting posts that were interfering with a good flat fit, then cut out the reliefs for the bearings in the ring gear.
mating ring to turret
mating ring to turret
Since it's a 360 turret now I first mounted the electrical piece directly to the rear of the cutout, oops, cannon breech in the way - OK back to the drawing board and the milling machine.
First cutout
First cutout
tapping holes
tapping holes
second cut for 360
second cut for 360
Relocated the unit right rear and it fit like a charm. Plenty of room for the wiring to fit in. I drilled the mounting holes and tapped them to an 8-32 thread and will loctite the screws in place when final assembly occurs.
final fit
final fit
final fit
final fit
It really came together quite nicely.

And since I was tearing the turret apart I put the front Zimmerit piece on. It fit very well!! I was pleasantly surprised by the fit. And of course the back piece set right in.
front zim
front zim
rear zim
rear zim
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

I am not going to replace the red light that came on just prior to the cannon shooting. I'll machine a phony machine gun to fill the hole like a coaxial machine gun. The other side has a slot for a machine gun also and I may find one to fit and put it in place. It will be static for now but someday I may fit a means of making it go bang also.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looking great :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
JMason5067
Recruit

Post by JMason5067 »

How difficult was it to remove the front turret armor? I am just about done with the lower hull on mine. That is going to be a good looking King Tiger Sir.
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

It's 4 screws to get the plate loose, unscrew the muzzle piece, and everything slips right off. With the notable exception of the led red firing light. That thing is glued in. So I cut the wires and am not going to run it.

Be well
Steve
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Enjoying looking at your work steve, super job. :thumbup:

regards john. :wave:
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

hi all
Norton1 wrote:I am not going to replace the red light that came on just prior to the cannon shooting. I'll machine a phony machine gun to fill the hole like a coaxial machine gun. The other side has a slot for a machine gun also and I may find one to fit and put it in place. It will be static for now but someday I may fit a means of making it go bang also.
mate, maybe i'm not understanding correctly but, are you talking about the 'hole' on the left of the main gun? if this is what you are referring to, it isn't a second coax mounted there, it was the place for the binocular aiming telescope for the gunner (turmzielfernrohr 9b/1)

best regards
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Jussek - Thanks!! I must have looked at several hundred pictures trying to figure out what that hole was for. I can make a replica for that one. And Thanks all for the kind words -

Be well,
Steve
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

This is how the gears should fit - Dave from forgebear sent me these parts.

Be well,
Steve
20180106_104302 (700x525).jpg
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Nice mods. I can't wait to get on with my KT when it arrives. This is a good looking allied tank killer
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”