King Tiger in process

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: King Tiger in process

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Great pics Mr Norton..............Im torn between the King Tiger and the 'SRT V8 in the background !!
I like the paint job, but the white(or lightest stripes on my screen) are pretty bright !!...........if you use a dark wash they will calm down a lot.
Good technique with the airbrush :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Ah you got a glimpse of my Challenger Scat Pac. It is incredibly fast and corners like a rocket on rails. With the upgrades it is pushing 500+ HP

And it is my first airbrushing. I tried it on a board to get a feel for how it was going to spray and then just started to paint. The yellow does come across as very bright and I will try what you suggested to tone it down. Thanks Mr. Bix!

Be well,
Steve
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Norton1 wrote:Ah you got a glimpse of my Challenger Scat Pac. It is incredibly fast and corners like a rocket on rails. With the upgrades it is pushing 500+ HP

And it is my first airbrushing. I tried it on a board to get a feel for how it was going to spray and then just started to paint. The yellow does come across as very bright and I will try what you suggested to tone it down. Thanks Mr. Bix!

Be well,
Steve
Usually a clear flat coat will help the colors blend together after airbrushing. I usually get away with Testors Dulcote in the rattle can, but you can get it in the bottle or decant from the spray can if you want to use the airbrush for flat coat. And don't be afraid to just airbrush over the yellow if it doesn't please you. Maybe take some of the original and add a drop of brown. What airbrush are you using? One of the things I love about flat paint is how forgiving it is, and so easy to touch up, even after a flat coat. My Jagdpanther has probably been painted 5 or 6 times, and I'm still not sure I'm happy with it.

Can you get a video? That might show how much of that brightness is just in the photo, not how it looks in person.

And speaking from Detroit, Mopars rock. Besides this '68 Barracuda (still the A body and not yet shortened to the E body's 'Cuda) I also owned a '69 Road Runner. Beep, Beep. @)

When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Mick bearing in mind that you need both "Micro-Set" and "Micro-Sol" ,
The first solution you apply to the painted surface PRIOR to sliding the decal in place,
The second solution is applied over the Decal.
It is important that once the second solution has been applied that you leave it alone.
I say this because a lot of people panic when they see the decal crumple and apparently tear itself apart,
It is alright, it is supposed to look like that,
Just come back to it the next day and be astounded at how the decal now looks like it was painted on.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Max-U52 wrote:
Norton1 wrote:Ah you got a glimpse of my Challenger Scat Pac. It is incredibly fast and corners like a rocket on rails. With the upgrades it is pushing 500+ HP

Be well,
Steve
Usually a clear flat coat will help the colors blend together after airbrushing. I usually get away with Testors Dulcote in the rattle can, but you can get it in the bottle or decant from the spray can if you want to use the airbrush for flat coat. And don't be afraid to just airbrush over the yellow if it doesn't please you. Maybe take some of the original and add a drop of brown. What airbrush are you using? One of the things I love about flat paint is how forgiving it is, and so easy to touch up, even after a flat coat. My Jagdpanther has probably been painted 5 or 6 times, and I'm still not sure I'm happy with it.

Can you get a video? That might show how much of that brightness is just in the photo, not how it looks in person.

And speaking from Detroit, Mopars rock. Besides this '68 Barracuda (still the A body and not yet shortened to the E body's 'Cuda) I also owned a '69 Road Runner. Beep, Beep. @)

Nice old skool muscle. I love classic cars.
Maybe i need to share some pics of my collection 1940s, 50s, 60s, 70s & today.
I wish there was more americana in the UK as it would look awesome alongside our dreary modern crap on the roads today
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That might make a great thread in Off-Topic, where we can all show our classic iron?

We probably already have one, I've just been too lazy to check. @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

The color is flat yellow. It was part of a paint set I bought at the hobby store. I left it for now as it looks like our area in the sunshine coming through tree leaves. When we get a clear day I plan to take and set it out in the trees to see how it looks for real. I was left wondering about the what a dark wash was. So off to you tube to see what, and how, to do a dark wash. I see now how you all are getting the effects you are. Kewl process.

My airbrush is cheap one. I think it was $12 at the local discount tool store. But I am enjoying it immensely. I know that I will end up buying a much better one and an airbrush compressor. My huge shop compressor really makes the first push of the "send the paint to the project button" a heavy one. And yeah - flat paint is way forgiving.

I would put a video of the project on the site but don't really know how to do that. Only so many megabits are allowed and I think that a video would exceed that amount. So any advice on how to do that and I will do it. The tank is at a standstill due to the anti recoil board being sent to someone else and they haven't received it yet. At least that is what the seller is telling me. I still have to put glass in the periscope slots and am going to experiment with hot glue. It cools to a clear glasslike finish so it may be the ticket. Once that is done I can at last put the turret and top together.

And yes I am enjoying the build. I have two other projects going at the moment that I haven't put on the site. But one of them is pretty simple. A Panzer "G" model that was originally recovered by the British and used against the Germans. I am going to give it back to the Germans. And I have a new Tiger 1 I am going to paint and do a bit of external work on to make it a North African/Tunisian version.

Nothing like being a kid again.

Be well,
Steve
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Well my wife and I are finally getting over the flu. Man this stuff is BAD! Kris hasn't moved from the bed or couch for 3 days. I think she likes my cooking. ;D

I went out in the shop today and managed to get a few things done. I did the dark wash, flat black at 10 to 1 ratio through the airbrush and it did tone it down a bunch. Maybe almost to much but I really like the tiger striping effect it had on the Zimmerit. Than I started working on lens for the view ports and hit on the idea of using hot glue as it dries as an opaque glassy finish. It came out pretty well. Not quite as flat on the outside as I had hoped but it is what it is and I called it quit as good enough.
repaint
repaint
20180203_122113 (700x525).jpg
20180203_122201 (1) (700x525).jpg
20180203_122201 (1) (700x525).jpg (98.38 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
20180203_122211 (700x525).jpg
I also can't seem to get a board to work in my "G" Panther. I met a guy in Michigan,through some miss shipping issues from overseas, and he sent me a bunch of Taigen parts that he has replaced in his KT. I'm going to put them in this HL "G" series and see if that doesn't straighten this pig out. 3 HL boards later and it's time to try something else.
20180203_133727 (700x525).jpg
20180203_133809 (1) (700x525).jpg
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

That looks absolutely brilliant Steve

All your hard work is paying off my friend
Tanks alot.... :wave:
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

I like the idea of AB the 'wash' . will try that myself. Nice work on the KT :thumbup:
Drammen Rock City

Return to “Heng Long Builds”