King Tiger in process

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Norton1
Lance Corporal

King Tiger in process

Post by Norton1 »

Well I swore I would not do anything to this tank but have fun with it. Well having fun is modifying it for me. I guess I have been building cars and bikes for so long that anything I touch gets modified in some way. I have already posted a couple of things I did, partially fixed the turret shakiness, fixed the hubs so they don't fall out, and now the painting begins. I pulled the tracks off and repainted them and the driver wheels and rear roller wheels. I had some extra track parts so glued them to the turret, could use some more if anyone has them to throw away (rubber or metal), and started modifying some troops to go with the tank. It's not fancy but I expect to continue to mess with it.
As it was
As it was
As it was
As it is
side view
side view
rear end
rear end
close rear
close rear
front close
front close
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: King Tiger in process

Post by jarndice »

Might I suggest that one of the first things you get rid of are those awful and inaccurate Heng Long Decals, :lolno:
They ruin a good paint job,
"Peddinghaus" in Germany, and "Archers" and "Elite" in the USA make some very nice and ACCURATE Decals in 1/16, :thumbup:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Yeah the decals are pretty bad. But they came with the model and I haven't really looked for others. I'll check out the places you suggested. Thanks!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening, Norton1,
Firstly, Welcome to the Forum! That's a great tank you have there and deserving of a good build. I have one from when they were first released. It is a duplicate of yours with the metal add-ons and such. I did a minor detail job on mine and sat it aside to run every now and then. Years later, it is on my list for an intensive redo with a metal Taigen lower and running gear and a paint job and Clark board, etc. Enjoy yours, they are really a lot of fun and good runners all around.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
A runner more than a looker, the years have only added to this giant tank's physical impact when viewed up close.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

I am looking for some better decals and Archer seems to have some really good ones. With this paint scheme what version of decals should I be looking for? Ardennes? Eastern front? I like what you have done with yours. Couple of nice touches that I will gladly steal!

I painted the metal tracks on mine. I was a bit perplexed at first about taking them off, then went, Duh-oh, I was in the mechanized infantry for 3 years and a simple remove the pin and off they came! I know the black paint will wear off but that's what I figure will give it a bit of age as it grows. The thing certainly has plenty of power! And seems to run forever on a 3800 mah battery. Everything on this tank works. Even the smoker, kind of pathetic, but it works. I ordered a micro fan to modify it as I found a pretty cool way to change it from a you tube video.

Thanks for the welcome! I'll see you around here for sure!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Norton1,
Everything you're proposing to do to your tank sounds great. You've got the bug for sure. I painted my tracks too with a Hammerit dark bronze that is wearing nicely on the protruding cleats. These Porsche turreted King Tigers saw duty in Normandy after D-Day and were all destroyed by the time the Falaise Gap was closed. I've only ever seen them with a Zimmerit coating on the lower armor and some Mid War paint schemes. There was one in the Battle of the Bulge ( I think ) and maybe one in Romania in the final days of the war. Knowledgeable folk around here will fill in those gaps. Here is a link to help out: http://www.worldwar2aces.com/photo.htm
regards,
Painless
Attachments
KT Bow A.jpg
KT Bow A.jpg (89.88 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
KT Complete.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Interesting photos! They really didn't have much for markings on them it appears. An Iron Cross below the driver is the most prevalent. I think I may have overdressed mine!

I did contact Archer and they referred me to the German outfit. Archer said theirs doesn't attach well to anything but flat surfaces. From what I can see the ones I would be using all would sit on flat surfaces. So I will likely go with them. Even though I only get one shot at putting them on! The kits I saw on ebay all contained enough decals to do 2 tanks so that would allow for a mistake or two.

Thanks for the link to the original photos. I guess I am not all that interested in being perfect but close will work for me.

Be well,
Steve
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Steve Hi, A Word of warning concerning "Archers" Decals do check that what you have is "Water Slide" Decals because they also sell Applique Decals which are applied using pressure instead of Warm Water,
There is a secret to applying Water Slide Decal's,
It is two little bottles one is named "Micro-Set" and the other is named "Micro-Sol",
A shallow saucer of tepid water, cut out the decal, (Cut it close as quite often the decal sheet is printed out with all the decals joined up which means you could if your not careful be applying the whole sheet in one go :{ ),
Brush the "Micro-Set" over the surface in copious amounts, Slide the Decal into place and tease it into the exact position,
(If it snags lift the crumpled mess back into the saucer and it will unravel and try again)
Dab the decal free of the "Micro-Set and then apply the "Micro-Sol",
THIS IS IMPORTANT The decal will crumple and look dreadful, LEAVE IT ALONE,
Go get a cup of coffee and when you come back it will have started to merge into the Paint and the next day it will not look like a decal, It will look like it is painted just like the original, Trust me it is without doubt the most effective way of applying decals bar none.
A Tip Write the number (1) on the top of the cap of the "Micro-Set" and (2) on the top of the cap of the "Micro-Sol" You will get them mixed up otherwise :{ I promise.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Looking forward to seeing your progress Norton! :thumbup:
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Excellent tip that Shaun