M-3 Lee Kit

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M-3 Lee Kit

Post by BarryC »

Coming along quite nicely Carl! :clap: :clap:

The Lee has always been one of my favorite 2nd War tanks followed by the Stuart! Just a little southern pride maybe. :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Good morning fellas. Herman the space for the electronics and speaker enclosure are excellent. Actually much more than say my M-36

It really had the look of a layer cake and a battleship

Barry I agree with you. This was the first tank model I built with my Grandfather when I was a little guy in smaller scale kit form. As a WW II veteran it was his favorite too.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

:O :O :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: mad skills
Ideals are peaceful, history is violent.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Thank you Mr Fox Herman I really do appreciate the Wiggles reference with the image of sir Henry doing all be can to move every control and lever with his eight arms
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

I remember the Monogram 1/32 Lee tank of the 70s when I was young. Good kit, it came with a color diorama sheet by Shep Payne, the biggest influence in my tank modelling career.

Carl, both turrets seem a bit high.

Great work,

Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

lmcq11 wrote:I remember the Monogram 1/32 Lee tank of the 70s when I was young. Good kit, it came with a color diorama sheet by Shep Payne, the biggest influence in my tank modelling career.

Carl, both turrets seem a bit high.

Great work,

Louis
Yes indeed the turret is high. I've since ground down the outer collar with my dremel and proper breathing apparatus. The Vandra kit has a collar and when the photos were snapped I'd yet to grind off the outer space to accomplish sitting down in the turret ring recess.

It now sits proper.

Same with the upper most MG top. Just sitting there, not modified yet. Need to rework the resin to accomplish the correct configurationImage

Now trying to source some turret rotation gears for the kit. I plan on using an 84 tooth ring with matching gear for the rotation assembly. Will source these from Vex Robotics. They have a very nice starter kit with many different sizes for $12.99 plus shipping. Image
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hello all...

The Gears for the turret rotation assembly are in route from Texas and should arrive in two days. Have been tinkering and puttering around. Added some metal tie downs from Forgebear ( very nice may I add)

This is not an actual version of any specific tank so I took the liberty to add the tie downs from some photos I've seen online.

Will add some metal handles and grab bars.

Need to source the front horn assembly and metal cage along with a pair of headlights and covers.

So much more to do.....

The sponson mounted 75mm has been quite a beast to get where I'd like it. I've used the kit provided mount and gun versus the Shapeways cannon for the model. The servo mount for the IR recoil servo is from Ian and I've tried several different combinations of swing arm for the recoil and have just about dialed it in.

As large as the hull superstructure is the locations of both the main gun and upper turret have really tested my skills. Much trial and error but it's fun and I'm learning along the way.

Once everything is assembled for the last time I will then articulate the servo recoil setup to allow for limited elevation of the main gun.Image

I revisited my old friend the 1mm drill bit from the panzer 38-t build to drill the hinges for the side hatch door.

Tomorrow a new servo tester and several new metal geared servos will arrive for the rest of the build.

The IR flash bulb is mounted and threaded through the metal barrel. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Carl, that side door hinge looks like hell to drill thru straight ! Good progress and shaping up nicely.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

MichaelC wrote:Carl, that side door hinge looks like hell to drill thru straight ! Good progress and shaping up nicely.
Thanks Mike. It was a bit tough. The resin is very easy to break so I drilled with a fresh new 1mm bit very slowly from both ends. I used a section of soft copper wire threaded through each hinge with a small bit of glue on the bottom side of each copper pin to hold it in place. Key is open very slowly and carefully and it works very niceImage

The soft copper wire allows for easy movement and flexes just enough to keep the resin from breaking. I used a section of #8 stranded cable from work and pulled the strands apart to make the lengths needed.
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Super job carl, the details that you are adding make all the difference :thumbup:

regards john

Return to “Heng Long Builds”