• Advertisement
Welsh Dragon Models

M-3 Lee Kit

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-vamping you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:52 am

As usual My friend Mr MichealC on the forum has started me in yet a whole other direction. After I completed the panzer 38-t build I've been really busy touching up,painting and assembling some almost completed builds and parts of almost completed tanks.

As usual we talk back and forth and this is really a great find. Mike assembled all the needed parts aside from electronics and made a kit.

All the big parts are ready to go. The shapeways wheels and accessories were included.

Now I will take the kit and slowly assemble it. These Sherman variants are really a treat.

My first impressions on the Vandra kit is it's very heavy and detailed. Much fit and finish to do but that's the fun of it.

I will likely take my time with this as I've much on my plate right now.

c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby PainlessWolf » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:51 am

Carl!
Another exciting and awesome kit! I am a bit envious as an M3 Lee or Grant is on my list as a possible 'fifth' platoon member for my Sherman lineup. I'll definitely be following along on this one as well!
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks as always Mr Painless. I will have to take some cues from Mr Louis with his wonderful M-7 Priest. This will be quite fun. Will post updates as I go.
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby lmcq11 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi Carl,

That's a cool project, the Vandra kit is a great base. I did not see these Shapeways parts available when I built this kit 2 years ago. Do you plan to bring movement to the turret and guns ? Are you going to try the Shapeways M3 bogies ? I will keep both eyes on this one.

Regards, Louis

lmcq11
Lance Corporal

Postby Ludwig von wigbearer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Very nice carl, its looks like the sort of tank only its mother would love ;) dave (forgebear) has them and I am very
tempted to get one :thumbup:

regards john

Ludwig von wigbearer
Lance Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Hello Ludwig and Louis Sorry for the delayed response I'm at work so I check in when I can. The tank is so ugly it's kinda nice to look at like a Pug or bulldog or something like that.

I do plan on making the main gun rotate and recoil if I'm really good. The traverse on the sponson large gun will be limited but I will use a servo and some form of wizardry with a servo rod and arm. Recoil should be easy once I get it figured out. The upper gun turret will rotate.

Louis any tips that you have for assembly please let me know. With your skills you must have mastered this kit.

Will take the wheels apart soon and mount the shapeways wheels.

Carl
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:02 am

So tonight I'm working on the rear section of the tank and the fit of the resin upper hull. I've also been working on the shapeways wheels .

Mike started this kit with the intention of making it a bit more user friendly than the original design so I had to rework the rear resin section into two parts and add the Accessories. Now everything fits proper. Now it latches in the rear with a snug friction fit

BTW resin can be a real pain in the a@$.

The wheels are a treat work with. I reamed out the inner hub with a hand held 6mm drill bit. Removed to accommodate the bush in the wheel and then reinstalled. I chose not to run a power drill as to not break the nice wheels from Shapeways.

If you are wondering.... No I did not just glue the resin panel over the lumpy and bumpy posterior I properly ground it down flat with my dremel before surgery was performed.

On another note.....

My wife discovered my recent build this evening and said I have an addiction....

I wonder what she meant
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby MichaelC » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:09 am

Carl, one evening of work and it is looking fantastic already. Can't wait to see the rest when you can actually spend more time on them.

As I expected the Shapeway M3 wheels are a must. It cost a pretty penny but without them it just doesn't look the same.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:13 pm

I have far more simple needs................how many rivet heads are on this thing :/ :haha: :eh:
HERMAN BIX
Captain

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:17 pm

HERMAN BIX wrote:I have far more simple needs................how many rivet heads are on this thing :/ :haha: :eh:
As usual Herman you have made my day :crazy:
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:18 pm

MichaelC wrote:Carl, one evening of work and it is looking fantastic already. Can't wait to see the rest when you can actually spend more time on them.

As I expected the Shapeway M3 wheels are a must. It cost a pretty penny but without them it just doesn't look the same.
Yes Mike the Shapeways wheels are the stars of the show at this point. So glad to have attempted this one!
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Raminator » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:27 am

c.rainford73 wrote:The tank is so ugly it's kinda nice to look at like a Pug or bulldog or something like that.

That's a beautiful way to put it Carl, I had no idea you had such a poetic soul. :haha:

You're off to a great start with the kit, it looks like it's coming together nicely. I'm looking forward to see you bring the "coffin for seven brothers" to life!
Raminator
Sergeant

Postby c.rainford73 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Raminator wrote:
c.rainford73 wrote:The tank is so ugly it's kinda nice to look at like a Pug or bulldog or something like that.

That's a beautiful way to put it Carl, I had no idea you had such a poetic soul. :haha:

You're off to a great start with the kit, it looks like it's coming together nicely. I'm looking forward to see you bring the "coffin for seven brothers" to life!
Ah as only a true Comrad could say, been researching the heck out of this thing and apparently many people thought it was quite formidable yet the crazy rivet system much like my early Panzer 38-t was very deadly as with all the heavy armour the rounds would hit and with limited penetration the giant rivets would break free inwards toward our seven brothers inside and ricochet everywhere cutting them to bits....

Kinda like ping pong meets the movie Saw.
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Ping-Pong meets Saw................poor buggers.

I do prefer the Lee over the Grant variant.Only out of superficial looks.
There was a Grant in the Imperial War Museum in London back in 09 when I visited, and it just looked odd.
Apparently it was one of Monty's mounts but I cant be certain.

The question begs...............how many rivets ?? :eh:
HERMAN BIX
Captain

Postby c.rainford73 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:04 pm

HERMAN BIX wrote:Ping-Pong meets Saw................poor buggers.

I do prefer the Lee over the Grant variant.Only out of superficial looks.
There was a Grant in the Imperial War Museum in London back in 09 when I visited, and it just looked odd.
Apparently it was one of Monty's mounts but I cant be certain.

The question begs...............how many rivets ?? :eh:
Agree that the Lee is a nicer looking tank out of the two ugly options OK Mr Bix of I must count the rivets. ...... :crazy: :noooo:
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby RobW » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:51 am

Looking forward to seeing how the bogeys turn out. And, no I'm not going to count the rivets on the Haya M3 to compare.....

RobW
Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Theres 142 on the view of the right hand side !
not including the front plate as I cant make them out well enough !!
So assuming there is the same on the left, we are at 284 just for the sides !!

I always wanted to be a rivet counter............now I are one !!!! :/ :haha: :crazy:
HERMAN BIX
Captain

Postby RobW » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:39 pm

HERMAN BIX wrote:Theres 142 on the view of the right hand side !
not including the front plate as I cant make them out well enough !!
So assuming there is the same on the left, we are at 284 just for the sides !!

I always wanted to be a rivet counter............now I are one !!!! :/ :haha: :crazy:

Look again, the position of the gun means it's asymmetric. 8O :D

RobW
Sergeant

Postby c.rainford73 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:05 am

So I've had some time today to put some effort into the M-3. One thing I credit MichaelC for is the addition of all the Shapeways parts.

I've attached some photos for reference so you can see the difference between the kit parts for the guns and the Shapeways parts.

The turret mounted gun is installed and Shapeways barrel is much better IMHO.

Decisions decisions....

Here's what I've decided with the big layer cake design of the Lee. The upper turret structure will have rotation at this point. Very limited space in the turret for recoil and elevation. The gun does elevate but that will be manually operated.

The cupola has the shapeways MG mount and hatches. I like how they have come out.

The sponson mounted large gun is the Shapeways barrel. This will have recoil servo setup and IR flash. The other trick will be servo elevation( tight fit but I'll be able to complete this part in time.)

I've been working on finishing the proper fit of the upper hull superstructure to the Heng Long chassis. Almost done with this. Will make some mounts and add magnets( along with the friction fit of the rear) and front metal latch to secure it and it will be snug.

Thanks for checking in

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:32 am

Gee-whizz it is a layer-cake !
The commander in one of those must have been as busy as 'Henry the Octopus' with his arse on fire to make it all work 8O

With the different hull profiles when compared to a Sherman, how does the internal space stack up ?
HERMAN BIX
Captain

Next

Return to Heng Long Builds