M-3 Lee Kit

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
c.rainford73
Major

Re: M-3 Lee Kit

Post by c.rainford73 »

Afrikakorps wrote:Hi Carl ( c.rainford73 ),
I didn't use decals, instead I referenced as much material as i could,and decided on yellow just to be different.
Then made computer cut vinyl stencils and airbrushed the numbers, stripes and stars. (very painstaking work) :/
Here is a side view with markings before I changed the wheels.
Cheers
Steve
FullSizeRender.jpg
Steve this looks wonderful. The stencils look like they did the trick and your efforts have paid offImage What did you use for the headlights? This is something I've been trying to figure out. Looks like Sherman light guards?
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Looking good in OD, Carl. It's amazing what a difference a coat of paint makes, how it ties it all together. Nice work!
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

Hi Carl, yes I used Sherman light guards ( easy way out ) and Tamiya Pershing lights fitted with a small surface mounted diode (SMD). I recommend golden white for a more natural look.
Cheers
Steve
Screen Shot 2016-10-14.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-14.png (229.75 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Done 12 months ago.png
Done 12 months ago.png (153.2 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Raminator wrote:Looking good in OD, Carl. It's amazing what a difference a coat of paint makes, how it ties it all together. Nice work!
Thanks Mr RaminatorImage
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Steve those lights look spectacular. Thanks for sharing this. I think this will be the way I go
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

This evening I came home to find some fantastic bits in a box from Mr Sassgrunt (Mike) on the forum for this M-3 Lee build. He shipped them a few days ago ( for freeImage ) from Hawaii all the way to the East Coast!!!!

I am blown away by the level of kindness that is exhibited by members of the forum like Mike who do kind deeds like this for people like myself again and again.

Now I will proceed with these parts to mount the Mato tracks on the Lee.

Those are my 3 year old sons hands by the way Imagein the picture as he is helping dad with this build

Mike thank youImage

CarlImageImageImageImageImage
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Idler wheel difference much more detailed and wider...Image
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Idler wheel difference again. The offset is different so I added spacers and washers to overcome this and the wheel spins freely!ImageImage
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Glad they made it to you Carl. One thing I've done in the past with the idler wheels is to "fill in" the edges with super glue. Then sand the face on a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface, and when you paint them, the gap between metal & plastic will disappear and it will look like the real thing. -Mike
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

sassgrunt wrote:Glad they made it to you Carl. One thing I've done in the past with the idler wheels is to "fill in" the edges with super glue. Then sand the face on a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface, and when you paint them, the gap between metal & plastic will disappear and it will look like the real thing. -Mike
Mike these are just excellent parts. Thank you so much for the idea and the kindness you have shown by shipping these to me Image They make such a huge difference and look spectacular!

Silly question

How does one fit Mato metal or plastic sprockets on a heng long Sherman?

The shafts are a bit too large and the offset is different. Do I need Mato metal gearboxes?

If so does anyone know a part number for silly old me?Image

Return to “Heng Long Builds”