M-3 Lee Kit

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
c.rainford73
Major

M-3 Lee Kit

Post by c.rainford73 »

As usual My friend Mr MichealC on the forum has started me in yet a whole other direction. After I completed the panzer 38-t build I've been really busy touching up,painting and assembling some almost completed builds and parts of almost completed tanks.

As usual we talk back and forth and this is really a great find. Mike assembled all the needed parts aside from electronics and made a kit. Image

All the big parts are ready to go. The shapeways wheels and accessories were included.

Now I will take the kit and slowly assemble it. These Sherman variants are really a treat.

My first impressions on the Vandra kit is it's very heavy and detailed. Much fit and finish to do but that's the fun of it.Image

I will likely take my time with this as I've much on my plate right now.

Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: M-3 Lee Kit

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!
Another exciting and awesome kit! I am a bit envious as an M3 Lee or Grant is on my list as a possible 'fifth' platoon member for my Sherman lineup. I'll definitely be following along on this one as well!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Thanks as always Mr Painless. I will have to take some cues from Mr Louis with his wonderful M-7 Priest. This will be quite fun. Will post updates as I go.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi Carl,

That's a cool project, the Vandra kit is a great base. I did not see these Shapeways parts available when I built this kit 2 years ago. Do you plan to bring movement to the turret and guns ? Are you going to try the Shapeways M3 bogies ? I will keep both eyes on this one.

Regards, Louis
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Very nice carl, its looks like the sort of tank only its mother would love ;) dave (forgebear) has them and I am very
tempted to get one :thumbup:

regards john
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hello Ludwig and Louis Sorry for the delayed response I'm at work so I check in when I can. The tank is so ugly it's kinda nice to look at like a Pug or bulldog or something like that.

I do plan on making the main gun rotate and recoil if I'm really good. The traverse on the sponson large gun will be limited but I will use a servo and some form of wizardry with a servo rod and arm. Recoil should be easy once I get it figured out. The upper gun turret will rotate.

Louis any tips that you have for assembly please let me know. With your skills you must have mastered this kit.

Will take the wheels apart soon and mount the shapeways wheels.

Carl
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

So tonight I'm working on the rear section of the tank and the fit of the resin upper hull. I've also been working on the shapeways wheels .

Mike started this kit with the intention of making it a bit more user friendly than the original design so I had to rework the rear resin section into two parts and add the Accessories. Now everything fits proper. Now it latches in the rear with a snug friction fitImage

BTW resin can be a real pain in the a@$.

The wheels are a treat work with. I reamed out the inner hub with a hand held 6mm drill bit. Removed to accommodate the bush in the wheel and then reinstalled. I chose not to run a power drill as to not break the nice wheels from Shapeways.

If you are wondering.... No I did not just glue the resin panel over the lumpy and bumpy posteriorImage I properly ground it down flat with my dremel before surgery was performed.

On another note.....

My wife discovered my recent build this evening and said I have an addiction....

I wonder what she meantImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Carl, one evening of work and it is looking fantastic already. Can't wait to see the rest when you can actually spend more time on them.

As I expected the Shapeway M3 wheels are a must. It cost a pretty penny but without them it just doesn't look the same.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I have far more simple needs................how many rivet heads are on this thing :/ :haha: :eh:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:I have far more simple needs................how many rivet heads are on this thing :/ :haha: :eh:
As usual Herman you have made my dayImage :crazy:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”