Tiger I Transport tracks

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
c.rainford73
Major

Tiger I Transport tracks

Post by c.rainford73 »

I'm currently working on a tiger I that will be sporting narrow Verladeketten or transport tracks.

I'm rebuilding my 1945 Ferhmann Tiger I and want it to look a very weary sort and have a "quickly assembled as possible" look. My plan is to remove the turret stage bin from the rear of the turret remove all the fenders and switch to the narrow transport tracks.

Here's what I've found....

For clarity Tiger I transport tracks were painted green, and Tiger II tracks red. Units would request either ‘SSyms green’ or ‘SSyms red’ depending on their tanks. A fact I did not know until I started researching the tracks for this particular piece.

I have a picture of the tracks worn by the tiger I on exhibit in Saumur.

Does anyone know what shade of green I can paint these before I properly weather them and run them?

Many thanks in advance for any help.Image
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Tiger I Transport tracks

Post by c.rainford73 »

My friend Mr MichealC on the forum came through as always with a beautiful set of metal transport tracks for the Tiger I. Great guy and someone I do business with often as he is located on my side of the pond. (Very lucky am I) Also incredibly helpful with all my electronics questions even helped me figure out my Turnigy radioImage

Anyhow

Now to figure out a color for them as the shade of green that I desire (and is required)has eluded me to this pointImage

No luck researching it as I speak....ImageImageImage
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Carl, I just wanted to add my thank you for starting this thread. You obviously have better references than I do, as I have never read about the different colors for the different transport tracks. It makes a whole lot of sense; as both type of Tigers would have been transported through a given rail yard. I have the same tracks on an early Tiger, and will shamelessly copy whatever color you eventually paint yours! -Mike
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mike & Mick thank you for your interest in this thread

As for the elusive Tiger I track color unfortunately I've located the color for the Tiger II tracks as they have been presented in red oxide paint and another person notes dark red-brown so I'm going to have to say those were painted red oxide and shipped to the front.

What I've decided to do so far- is to take some testors enamel flat green and thin it out about 40%piant to 60% testors enamel thinner and sprayed two thin coats with my airbrush to start. I figure these tracks were intended to be "sprayed over and shipped" I'd like to think that the paint was not for preservation and more for a marking system so I applied the paint to look that way.

I will add my final coat tonight and do a little weathering and then I'll show you what I've done
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mick for the sake of sanity and for the benefit of everyone who is interested that's not a bad idea but....

This is a moment that I decided to leave the fine people of the Saumur Tank Museum alone and just wing it.

So here we are. Freshly mounted in my shop this late at night with the help of my trusty airbrush and some very thinned out testors enamel flat greenImage

A little bit more to do to them but the idea is there I hope.

Cheers

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I love all the detail BUT I am astonished that you hav'nt fitted a Tow hook,
Perhaps I am jumping the gun and its on the list in which case sorry but it does surprise me that so many Tank builds fail to include it.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

jarndice wrote:I love all the detail BUT I am astonished that you hav'nt fitted a Tow hook,
Perhaps I am jumping the gun and its on the list in which case sorry but it does surprise me that so many Tank builds fail to include it.
Shaun.
Shaun thank you for looking it is on my list of bits as I revamp this earlier build. Image This one's my oldest and original Heng Long/Taigen tank so adding and subtracting has happened for years now. This is it's final metamorphosis I hope Image and I work on it from time to time when my big builds conclude or wind down. Would you recommend mounting on the rear of the hull where the fiefel air cleaners would mount? Or on the top deck near the drivers hatch like a late version?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I'm also working on mounting the front fender crane winch setup I recieved from Bill (Captain Midnight) on the forum. Need to paint and detail it a bit but it's a nice pieceImageImage
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

Looks great , top work mate.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I really like the green color you put on the tracks - it fills in all the spaces that you'd think it would. while letting the bare metal sow on the raised areas of the track. Not trying to nitpick, but would the wheel rims also wear off "strips" of color down the inside of the tracks?

In the first few photos, I was a little worried that the wheels didn't seem to set down onto the tracks - I was very relieved to see that they DO in the latter photos. Great job overall, Carl!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”