Panther G - 1st Build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
ConcreteTurtle
Recruit

Panther G - 1st Build

Post by ConcreteTurtle »

So my Heng Long IR Panther G arrived today from tankarmy, along with some metal detail parts and low speed gearboxes.
The camouflage scheme it comes in is a bit glossy and bright, so I'm looking forward to stripping it back and replacing it with something new and interesting. (maybe a nice ambush pattern)

The service from tankarmy was excellent, unfortunately the tank itself was a bit of a let down. It came with the older style 27MHz transmitter and receiver, NiCd batteries with no charger.
I think I've been spoiled by my HL King Tiger I bought a few weeks back. Much more detail and better painting plus the newer 2.4GHz system and LiPo with charger included.

No complaints about Tankarmy mind you, I should have clarified about the transmitter and batteries before I bought through them.

So, the plan going forward is:
1) disassemble and strip the paint
2) fit the upgraded idlers, sprockets, gearboxes, 360 degree rotation upgrade
3) add the new metal machine gun, fire extinguisher, shackles, and debris screens
4) Prime and airbrush, then add the decals
5) Add the obligatory bucket!

I've read here somewhere that Dettol is a handy paint stripper, so might pick some up and have a go. Any issues with the metal barrel I wonder?

Will try to figure out how to host pictures and add some here of my progress.

Thanks for reading!
CT
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Panther G - 1st Build

Post by Estnische »

Hey CT - I bought one of those as well as there are not many stockists of new tanks at that price in Australia. Its for a future project, as I'll be turning it into an 'A'.

I tried not to fret about the 27MHz radio, but when RC Tanks Australia restocked new RC5HL cards for hobby radio conversion, with bonus capacity to remove track recoil, I jumped in with both boots. An RC5HL with programmed Taranis QX7 radio is in the post as I type this. I'll let you know how it goes.
capt midnight
Corporal

Re: Panther G - 1st Build

Post by capt midnight »

You might reconsider stripping off the existing paint. If you start out with bare metal, barrel is usually aluminum, you need to clean it real good and use a good self etching primer. If not, you can just about guarantee that the paint will pop off.

If you scruff it up with some light sandpaper or a green scrubby, you should be able to paint right over it. Just make sure to wipe it down with a mild de greaser just before spraying the paint. I always found that the factories did a better job of getting the paint to stick than I could!

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS

Return to “Heng Long Builds”