HL Tiger 1 conversion to Bergetiger

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
capt midnight
Corporal

HL Tiger 1 conversion to Bergetiger

Post by capt midnight »

I came across a few photos of this conversion a while back and wanted to give it a shot. I know that there were only a few of these documented, so I'm not going to model a specific tank. The plan is to make one up that has been in service for a while, with some field mods added to it. So, with that said, here we go....

First step, gut the thing like a trout.

I cut the stowage box off the back of the turret and closed it up with sheet plastic and putty.

I wanted to keep the elevation function, so I had to move the mounts for the motor. I also had a spare motor that had a lot smaller case than the new one.

Trimmed the case a bit to make sure the tab on the airsoft unit could have a good bite on the cam.

Also had to shorten the airsoft unit. There is not going to be a barrel, so no need for a functioning unit.

And here's the assembled turret.

More to come...

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
capt midnight
Corporal

Re: HL Tiger 1 conversion to Bergetiger

Post by capt midnight »

Here's the upper hull with a few mods. I removed some of the side skirts and the right front fender. The color is a coat of Rustolium Flat Sand. I used that for a primer, but I think I might keep it as a base coat.

Here's the finished winch. I used a couple of spare r/c car gears. Soldered brass for the crank handles, and plastic bits for the rest. I also made up a latch to hold the winch in position.

And here's the boom and mounts on top of the turret. I turned a couple pulleys on my lathe for the boom and the hook block. The hook is a piece of copper wire bent to shape and hammered flat.

I'll get some more pictures after I get everything into a primer coat. Also a close up of the hook block.

Bill
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Love it, nice work.
You sure do have the knack for quirky builds mate :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Nice engineering my friend Very impressed with the build and looking forward to the final product
Tanks alot.... :wave:
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

sir you are a genius !
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

And what fish will you be hoping to catch with this particular Tiger? :D Brilliantly improvised and engineered gizmo though... :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Thanks for the great comments, guys. I'm really liking the way this one is coming along. I put the Big wind on the back burner for a while, having problems getting the jet engines to look right.

Here's some close ups of the block and tackle...

The hook is a piece of solid copper wire, bent to shape then hammered flat. I did some final shaping with a Dremel and files. The block frame is made from soldered copper sheet.

Haven't gotten a picture yet, but I've also made up one of the hoist frames that are used to change out the drive sprocket. I'm working on a chain fall for it right now. I too had always wondered about the holes by the front fenders. Thanks to all for the info.

Bill
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Here's some shots of today's progress...

Made up the fender mounted hoist arm.

Front tow bracket.

Tow bar.

And the chain fall hoist.

Bill
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Bill that looks fantastic you may have many on the forum lining up for that hoist with the chain setup for the front sprockets!

I think you have done an incredible job

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

OOOOoooooohhhhh YES :thumbup:
That front chain block & arm will be a hot seller mate.
Best you get a few made up & a price on them .
No joke. Nice work.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Heng Long Builds”