HL Tiger 1 conversion to Bergetiger

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
capt midnight
Corporal

Re: HL Tiger 1 conversion to Bergetiger

Post by capt midnight »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Bloody Marvelous :thumbup:
Nice to see it with that stowage loaded, all weathered up, & that gorgeous sprocket winch handy to the eye :clap: :clap:
May I also suggest a ladder ?
Would have been handy on a workshop unit for access at times.
I'm lovin the ladder idea! It'll fit perfect right between the stowage racks. I think tomorrow I'll br working on the weathering and such. Already have a start on the stowage. A couple of drums, half a dozen jerry cans, and some crates. Can't forget a couple tarps. Have to fab up a ladder as well.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Got a bit more accomplished today. Fabbed up a step ladder and a straight ladder. Many thanks to Mr. Bix for the idea!

Tried them out between the racks, but it just didn't look right. Made up some hooks and mounted them on the sides of the racks. Much better there.

Mixed up my favorite mud concoction and applied to the drive gear. I decided to try my hand at some dried mud, wet mud and see how it comes out.

Here's the dried mud.

Put on some darker brown for the wet stuff.

Put some gloss medium over the darker paint to give it a good glossy wet look. Here's a walk around showing the mud and various stowage.

Still a bit to go, but it's getting there.

Bill
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
I've been following along quietly and have been very, very impressed. Your ladders are amazing to behold! The glossy mud? I apologize in advance but it looks as if you have run the vehicle through poo. Mud that thick, if wet, would coat the entire underside of the tank and have worked it's way up the side. I don't know if it would consign itself to neat rings on the road wheels. The patterning of it on the back looks much better especially since it is dry and crumbly looking. Following along with anticipation as I have never seen a Bergetiger done this well. ( don't forget those HL headlights )
regards and apologies,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

So, would it look better lightened up some? I was thinking that it looked a bit too dark. It dried darker than I thought it would. Any ideas, Wolf?

I'm thinking about grinding down the LED's on the headlights and making a couple metal covers.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Thanks to all!

Bill
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Capt. M.,
The crusty, light mud you have on the bow and rear plate is perfect. Any mud put put anywhere else should match that in color and texture. You really should do the headlight covers. If the day comes that Heng Long actually ships German heavy armor with the headlight blackout covers in place, I will have to dance a Jig.
regards and following along,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I'll just repaint then. It's all the same texture, just put darker paint and gloss over some of it. I'll also make sure to check that the texture doesn't flatten out when it's repainted. Really appreciate the feedback!

Bill
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Okay, Painless. This one's for you.

The more I looked at the head lights, the worse they looked. I was trying to come up with an easy way to make covers, when I remembered that the wife had a punch she used for her jewelry. She uses it to punch holes, but it also makes a perfectly circular disc, with a small dimple in the exact center. I can see loads of uses for this tool in the future. Hope the wife doesn't miss it!

Here's the tool...

I took the largest punch (7.14mm) and made a bunch of discs. Spares are always good! I took a cut off wheel and cut a small slot in the middle of the discs, then cleaned these up with a small file.

Installed them with some white glue that dries rubbery, then painted them to match. Here's the results.

Many thanks Mr Painless for the inspiration. I think that these look SO much better than the frog eyes. I made enough to do all my German tanks, with a few spares. Can always make some more up pretty quick, as the need arises.

Bill
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Now that's what I call details! Those headlight covers are brilliant Did I tell you I wanted to buy a front winch for my Tiger drive sprockets like yours..... ( I'm very interested)

Now you can mass produce headlight covers too!

Looks super

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Had some nice weather today, so I had a chance to get the berge out and do a bit of running around before putting on the final touches. A buddy of mine that I built a Panther for came over and we played a bit.

Bill
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Fantastic camo design and paint mud looks great too
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”