Panzer III turret help for a newbie

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
ConnorDawson1994
Recruit

Panzer III turret help for a newbie

Post by ConnorDawson1994 »

Hello all!
My names Connor, i'm new to the RC tank world and i have a heng long panzer III
It's BB edition and it's a good piece of kit. Unfortunately it's recently broken down.
My issue is the turret. It operates fine apart from the BB and the turret traverse.
With the traverse, the tank makes the noise but has nil by movement. The BB has
The red light come on but no noise or action. I've searched forums and haven't found
much help :/ At first i thought it may be the controller but since their is response from the tank.
Any help would be excellent! Thank you :)
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Panzer III turret help for a newbie

Post by RobW »

Have you checked the plugs? Could be loose in the control board or upper hull.
ConnorDawson1994
Recruit

Yer checked all the plugs, they seem to be ok, same with connections
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, if it's a Taigen tank, it might be worth trying to rebind it to the transmitter. I had glitches similar in nature to the ones you describe, with one of my tanks. Somehow I'd been faffing with the controls after a battery ran rather low, and somehow the TX and the tanks's receiver began 'talking in tongues', so to speak. The messages were scrambled somehow. After a full battery charge, and a rebind, the Transmitter and receiver/MFUnit began
communicating again.
Here's the rebind process for all models in the Taigen range (assuming yours is a Taigen). If not, run tests after a full battery charge using a multimeter, and continuity tester. Many electrical faults can be explained by dry joints, loose wires, corrosion etc. Contact spray can help to clean up pcbs. It doesn't take much green mould (however tiny a patch it might be) to play havoc with electronic connections. If the tank been used out of doors, or in damp conditions, the contacts can easily be affected by unwanted condensation.
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
ConnorDawson1994
Recruit

Beautiful! I'll give it a crack and get back to you. Thanks mate
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

Turret rotation and gun firing are separate problems. If the rebinding doesn't work (which is a great place to start), look at these:

Rotation/traverse: if you hear the turret traverse motor running, but no rotation, then the gear may not be aligned with the motor. Check that the motor and gear housing is fully seated and the turret ring gear is also fully seated. It sounds like they are failing to make contact.

Gun firing: I don't recall if the LED and the gun are wired in series or in parallel (I could be wrong...I take the LEDs out and replace them with a coax MG). FIrst, start with a freshly charged battery. A weak battery has enough juice to light the LED, but not run the gun's motor. Then, check the wire connections to the gun's motor and to the pin-plug in the upper hull. Make sure there aren't any broken wires in between them. If the LED is lighting up, then power and signal are going from the MFU. If the wiring is good, battery is fresh, and LED is lit, you may have either a bad gun motor (unlikely) or a bad MFU (possible).

Note: might be obvious, but just in case, do all tests with the smoker turned off and the volume silenced. I also recommend putting the lower hull on blocks so that the tracks aren't making contact. No fun testing something, accidentally hitting the wrong lever on the controller, and having the tank drive off. >:<
ConnorDawson1994
Recruit

Hey guys, so after refurbing the battery, playing with connections and giving it all a good clean, i'm happy to report that my panzer is back up and running! :)
Thank you all for the help
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

Good news mate.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”