Heng Long Tiger 1 OOB - TLC Thread

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
wunderwaffe
Recruit

Heng Long Tiger 1 OOB - TLC Thread

Post by wunderwaffe »

Hi!

As posted elsewhere I have picked up a second hand Tiger 1, as we say up here, for washers.

In truth it's in a bit of a bad way. It looks like the board may be crook. The turret rotates, but the gun doesn't elevate or fire. The motors run fine, but it seems to be a pulse of power to them, rather than continuous power (fully charged battery). It is an old hard-wired board-cum-receiver. No smoke generation on board. No sound on board.

The #2 gearbox has a bearing missing from the final drive spindle.

A picture speaks a thousand words, so without further ado...:

ImageIMG_7359 by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7360 by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7361 by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7362 by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7363 by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7366 by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7367 by ScottyStitch, on Flickr

There are two sets of plastic tracks, but one of the four is kaput.

Priority is to get the tank up an operational. an IBU2 has just arrived and a set of wiring harnesses is winging its way as we speak. I will need to do something about the #2 gearbox, but I've spent my tank budget for now on the aforementioned. It would make sense to upgrade to metal gearboxes, but that's an expense I wasn't planning on dipping into at this juncture. I will wait and see if the IBU2 solves the pulsing power problem. Unless you learned gentlemen and ladies can suggest another source of the fault?

Vorsprung, mein kameraden!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Heng Long Tiger 1 OOB - TLC Thread

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Could be a few dry joints here and there, accounting for the missing bits of electrical functionality. Try wiggling the connectors, not only at the circuit board, but at the point where they go into relevant units, and or the 8-pin junction. A multimeter, or simple battery operated circuit/ continuity tester can obviate a lot of head scratching....or being driven to reach for a bottle of liquid amnesia :haha: Even when insulation looks intact, the wires can be broken within, through being stretched, or trapped. As for the gears, they seem to have an excess of grease on them- I'd day. Could be slipping a little.
Still, you have the tried and trusted basis for a good project there. :thumbup: ..for washers
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rangie81
Private

Post by Rangie81 »

Looking forward to seeing this build/upgrade. Especially the IBU2.
I remember the 'tank budget' plan well...and you know what they say about plans. :haha:
So many upgrades so little cash :haha:
Arte et Marte
Mens Sana in Corpre Sano
Certa Cito
wunderwaffe
Recruit

Post by wunderwaffe »

Ah, greetings Rangie. Another tanker from the shire.

This is all your fault, you know. if you hadn't brought your Tiger into the hangar.......

Anyway, ladies and gents. I've come across a problem. I need to get the #2 gearbox out but I can't seem to get the drive sprocket to come off the axle/driveshaft. How is it normally attached? I've tried pulling it, but it's pretty solid. I don't want to break anything by using too much force........

Harnesses have arrived so hopefully within the next week I can get it tested.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
I don't want to seem like a dunce but you've removed the screw behind the cover on the sprocket? If so, trying heating the shaft slowly with a soldering iron or torch till it is very warm to the touch then laying an ice cube on the shaft to see if the sprocket will pull lose then.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I would imagine that it will come as no surprise to hear that I have a video about removing tight sprockets. I can't post it right now because I'm at work and on my phone but if you need it I'll post it when I get home.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
wunderwaffe
Recruit

Post by wunderwaffe »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning,
I don't want to seem like a dunce but you've removed the screw behind the cover on the sprocket? If so, trying heating the shaft slowly with a soldering iron or torch till it is very warm to the touch then laying an ice cube on the shaft to see if the sprocket will pull lose then.
regards,
Painless
'tis I who is the dunce. I looked at the sprocket guessing that the hub cover came off, but it looked moulded on, so I assumed it was. Must have just been a very good fit. Looking at the other side, I can see it is just a push fit cover.

Problem solved and I now have the sprocket off and the gearbox out.

Apologies for being thick. You wouldn't think I was an aircraft engineer!.....
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
The issue is resolved, that is what is important. That and having fun with your new tank. I got one of these when they first came out. It was like a thunderbolt strike to the Tank modeling scene when it arrived. Before HL brought this tank out, it was a very different Hobby.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”