VC Firefly- HengLong / DGS Conversion

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
IronDuke
Recruit

VC Firefly- HengLong / DGS Conversion

Post by IronDuke »

First time posting so be gentle!

Thought I'd try and document my Firefly build... only recently got into 1/16 RC tanks, my first was the HengLong CR2 with a few mods and paint scheme, that build is detailed on:

https://www.facebook.com/IronDukeModelw ... S_TIMELINE

The build is based on the HengLong M4AA3

The conversion kit is based on the DGS resin kit

Last edited by IronDuke on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! (The 3 H's)

HL Challenger 2 (Officially the BEST main battle tank in the world!)
HL/DGS Firefly VC(Officially the BEST allied tank of WW2
IronDuke
Recruit

Re: VC Firefly- HengLong / DGS Conversion

Post by IronDuke »

So, lots of bits have started turning up for the tank conversion in addition to the Main resin hull and turret.

Most of its from http://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c1/ ... ducts.html with some parts from http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/katalog/

Not too keen on the Union Flags, they're not accurate and stiff as a board. Equally the casting in the .30cal isn't great... I'm impressed with the schumo parts that only need a little clean up.
Last edited by IronDuke on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IronDuke
Recruit

Post by IronDuke »

Excuse the flurry of posts, the build is a little more progressed than the previous posts reflect so I'm adding updates to keep everything in the right order.

The hull has been stripped out, the battery box removed with a dremmel along with the plastic idler mounts, rear engine doors, exhausts and transmission cover.

It's looking a little rough at the moment but I need to fill the exhaust holes in with plasticard, glue the battery lid in place, P38 car filler the gaps and sand everything smooth in preparation to cut the hull into 3 parts in order to lengthen it (something I'm not looking forward to!).

When I build I flit from one thing to another so I've already started work on detailing the turret

I've added a stowage box to the back of the radio box. It's made solely out of plastic card and the measurements have been made by eye as there isn't that great amount of references for one. I also addressed the simplistic detail on the radio box which had no lid detail, so I cut a recess in the top, and fitted grab handles. I also used humbrol model filler and Tamiya extra thin cement to make the moulded in weld seams blend in with the turret, otherwise there would have been a weird looking gap.

The resin pieces are quite brittle on the turret so I've used some of the HengLong parts instead as they are stronger and fit perfectly.

I used the bottom part of the turret and gun mount, including the part that allows the gun manlet to move up and down. The 17pdr barrel fits snugly in the manlet with a little bit of dremmiling of the plastic parts to get it to fit all the way in.

The commanders periscope was missing from the kit so http://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/c1/ ... ducts.html sent me a mato commander cupola in the post free of charge. Unfortunately it was too large for the kit so I popped the metal periscope cover off and fitted it to a piece of plasticard that was cut in to a circle. Once the periscope protector is fitted and the whole thing painted you'll never no the difference!

I've also added a few more details to the turret including weld seams to the appliqué armour, hatch supports blade sight and mount on the rear of the turret (does anyone know what that mount is for?). I also added a handle to the commanders hatch and MG mount using plastic rod.

Weld seams were created with humbrol model filler and Tamiya thin cement to smooth it out and a scalpel blade to impress the weld seams. On the blade sight mount and loaders hatch support I used a tooth pick cut to a flat fine point.

Overall I'm not to impressed with the accuracy of this kit. For £150 I expect a little more detail and for it to be accurate- P.S I'm not a rivet counter, honest!
Last edited by IronDuke on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

If you put the picture links in the IMG code that shows as one of the buttons when your posting...

"" then people won't have to click onto other pages as the pictures will load up in the thread.
IronDuke
Recruit

Post by IronDuke »

tomhugill wrote:If you put the picture links in the IMG code that shows as one of the buttons when your posting...

"" then people won't have to click onto other pages as the pictures will load up in the thread.
Thanks tomhugill... I believe I've sorted it now! :-)

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Posting issues aside, Mi'lud Wellington, I'm well impressed by your approach to the Firefly project, and the results you've achieved thus far. I have the same kit at home, and intend to take a different route with that; but look forward to sitting in on your progress here. :thumbup: :thumbup: Problems shared..etc.,, :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
IronDuke
Recruit

Post by IronDuke »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Posting issues aside, Mi'lud Wellington, I'm well impressed by your approach to the Firefly project, and the results you've achieved thus far. I have the same kit at home, and intend to take a different route with that; but look forward to sitting in on your progress here. :thumbup: :thumbup: Problems shared..etc.,, :D

Thank you. It's my first venture in to 1/16 resin, I normally dabble with 1/35...

The biggest issue you'll have with the turret is the screw holes and the fit between the upper and lower turret.

You have to choose the right drill bit and be perfectly centered otherwise you'll split the resin screwing points. Also, there are air bubbles throughout that are sometimes in the worse place possible E.g.Where you are drilling a hole!

I also found that the Henglong elevation gear doesn't fit the turret fixing points. :-(

The HengLong lower turret piece is a better fit than the resin and is stronger but does need some additional filler and texture to make it all blend in.

IronDuke
Recruit

Post by IronDuke »

The turret is officially done... I think!?

In order to make painting easier I haven't finished the hinges off on the hatches, that's why you you can see the plastic rod sticking out.

The cam netting tie downs are just superglued in place along with the periscope protectors all were positioned by eye using reference pictures. I haven't drilled out the iron sights to make it more realistic as it will make the piece super fragile... the tank is being built to run so some compromises are needed

I have both a .50cal and .30cal that I can use on commander cupola, the firefly had either/or when they hit the beaches of Normandy but they were soon removed by most troops as a result of Divisonal orders.

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

...The fragility issue of resin bothered me from the outset. That's why I decided to graft Dean's resin extras (hatches, radio box etc.) onto an M4A3 ABS donor turret I bought. That way, I'd circumvent the
drilling and fixing issues you've outlined here. Also, I intent to make my Firefly airsoft capable, and since the M4A3 turret is BB based, I'm already on the way to having a solution to that. Apart from changing the commanders hatch, and making a square loader's hatch in the donor unit, not an awful lot has to be done to make it look as authentic as the resin version; but it will have the advantage of being a lot tougher. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Very nice start on the forum and to the 1/16 scale tanks. Sort of jumped in. You have even started with pictures (we are still working on that with some of our friends and family)!

Personally love the M4 and the variants. Welcome aboard.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric

Return to “Heng Long Builds”