Panzer III

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Panzer III

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Thanks a lot Rob. Much appreciated
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I've just finished wiring up the top hull and have now been struck by a feeling of panic. Both the machine guns have red and blue wires. Having been brought up in the days when red was +ve and black -ve, I assumed that red was the positive feed. Connecting it up to the multi-cable hull connector, according to Clark, red is -ve and blue the +ve feed. I stuck with my original thoughts and have connected red to blue and vice versa. I am now worried that my original assumption was wrong. Before I power things up and risk destroying the machine guns, I would like someone who knows to confirm which is correct, please. It went against the grain to connect it up as I did - I struggle to get my head round red as a negative feed.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

If you are talking about the led's, then you won't blow anything up. An led will work if connected the right way, and not work if connected the wrong way, but you won't damage it by connecting the wrong way.

The other way to tell is to look at the legs on the led, the long leg is always positive, the short leg is always negative. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I'm hoping it will be ready for a trial run on Sunday, so we shall see what happens.
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Having finally connected everything up lat on Saturday, I took it to yesterday's BAD meeting for its first trial. Sadly, despite combined efforts, we could not get the receiver to bind. :( Some research on line this morning suggested I try removing the binding plug before powering everything down. Success, I had a constant red light on the receiver. Then came the moment of truth as I switched everything back on and tried the controls. To quote Victor Frankenstein "It's alive!". Tracks moved as required, turret rotated. Very pleased, I made myself a cup of coffee to celebrate.When I went back to the tank I tried the other options. Could not hear the engine at all, so I tried the machine guns - they flashed and I could hear some very faint sounds. After a quick think I remembered there was a volume control. With that turned up, I find a have a suitably noisy tank, the 2 machine guns fire in unison, the gun flashes and goes bang! :D

One happy bunny here. Some more detailing to complete, then I should have a finished tank.
Richard
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It's that 'I built this and I made it work' moment, there is nothing quite like it. :D
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

wibblywobbly wrote:It's that 'I built this and I made it work' moment, there is nothing quite like it. :D
:clap: :thumbup:

That's a great moment. Congrats!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

It is now basically finished. I have tidied up the wiring and fixed everything in place using Chinese "Velcro''.

Having said that, I have some jerrycans to add to it and am going to build a frame out of .016" brass trip. My sum total of using brass has been Aber PE, where the only cutting was to remove the pieces from the sheet. I shall be grateful if someone can tell me what the best way of cutting the trip without too much mis-shaping.
Richard
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just had a quick whizz through your travails and triumphs, Richard. You've certainly come a long way from that first tentative build :thumbup: I wanted to ask what you plan for elevation, or is that a bridge (breech )too far?..to mix a metaphor :D I'm interested in an all-in-one elevation/ recoil package and the DKLM unit you used seems to fit the bill. After reading that you couldn't find room in the Pz 3 turret for the elevation extras, I'm wondering what I might expect to engineer from the cramped space in the diminutive Cromwell turret :problem: Could be a mighty tight squeeze...
Anyway, as George Formby used to say: "Turned out nice gain!".. your project, that is! :thumbup: :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I have completely dispensed with any thought of elevation. It would have been nice, but not essential for our battlefield. The metal DKLM unit seems very well engineered. It was only when I came to fit it that I realised the supplied bracket for the elevation servo was for a full size servo as opposed to the micro servo which was already fitted to operate the recoil. There was simply no room in the turret to fit this. Those with greater skills than I would probably be able to make a suitable bracket for a micro servo. Whether this would have enough oomph to operate the elevation, I can't say.

Thank you for the kind words. I certainly feel a lot more confident in what I do, though I still have a huge amount to learn.
Richard

Return to “Heng Long Builds”