Panzer III

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Panzer III

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I've stripped down the turret and gun assembly to fit my replacement barrel together with the 3D printed recoil/elevation system that I got from Ian @ rctankelectronics. I forgot to take any photos of the dismantling, which is a shame as It came apart so easily I did not take much notice of what came from where. Doh! :crazy: There is an LED in the mantlet. I assume this was the early warning system of BB firing as it was wired in parallel to the motor in the unit. This is what I now have.
20170124_151617.jpg
20170124_151617.jpg (70.39 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
I also have this
20170124_151747.jpg
20170124_151747.jpg (78.41 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
which I am thinking about fitting in the mantlet instead of the plastic imitation. Two questions arise. 1. Can it be wired in parallel to the hull gun? I realise this would mean both guns firing every time I fired the machine gun. 2. Alternatively, is it feasible to connect it to one of the 2 spare channels on my FlySky i6 6 channel radio. The transmitter seems to have 2 toggle and one rotary switch for each of channels 5 & 6. If this is possible, how do you connect it?

Sorry to have so many questions, but every step I am taking with this is new ground for me. What is straightforward to those who do this sort of thing regularly, is somewhat of a mystery to me.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

The LED is the airsoft warning light. I took mine out. I don't like it and it fills the hole that would have really been a vision port for the gunner's sight (I think).

Your coax MG can be wired in parallel with the hull MG. That is how I have mine. I suggest wiring them together at the 8-pin plug on the upper hull. I don't recall what electronics you're using; so, I can't help with the second part of the question. Mine uses the standard Taigen electronics and there is only one option for the MGs.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

It will have a Clark TK22. Thanks for the other information - very helpful.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I've had a bit of a set back, fitting the recoil/elevation system. I checked the fit of the new barrel in the recoil slide - perfect. I modified the main unit to fit into the Panzer III mantlet. Great. However, when I offered up the barrel to the main unit with the slider I discovered a major problem. The barrel is way too short. The internal portion of the barrel is the same length as the original Heng Long, whereas the recoil unit needs a barrel some 20mm longer. Not having the wherewithal to extend the barrel, I needed a rethink. Then I remembered I had a unit from DKLM that I bought for another project (It did not work for that one as the barrel for that was of too greater diameter.) Some minor modification to the mantlet, and (fingers crossed) it appears to be coming together. Photos to follow.
Richard
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

This is very common to all recoil units etc, it needs an extension on the back of the barrel. Several ways to do that, if you post up pics, dimensions etc I should be able to solve the problem, I may even have something here that will do the job.

Needed:

Outside diameter of the breech end of the barrel.
Internal diameter of the breech end of the barrel.
Additional length needed.
Internal width of the box section on the recoil unit.

I may even have a complete 3D printed recoil unit, servo holder and barrel extension that will fit.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Here's the DKLM recoil unit attached, in exploded view, so to speak.
20170128_113004.jpg
20170128_113004.jpg (68.49 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
I'm just waiting for the IR emitters to arrive, then I can get it properly assembled.
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Much to my surprise, my Maplin's order arrived this morning. The IR LED fitted the plastic tube that I had previously bought on spec, another surprise. Some modifications were needed to various parts of the mantel to allow for the tube and the various wires. I lost track of how many times I assembled and disassembled it. I am sure that most of you will measure it all up just once and assemble it for a perfect fit. I'm afraid I'm very much trial and error. :)

I was starting to go cross eyed trying to get everything lined up and decided to call it a day before something went wrong. Tomorrow, I shall assemble it all, mantlet, machine gun, IR emitter, barrel and recoil mechanism, hopefully for the last time. Photos will be posted.
Richard
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Ahhh....but think of all of that experience you are getting, all ready for the next build! :D
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Well, my hope were dashed. Thi recoil set up is proving very frustrating. I checked everything, made sure the recoil was OK, so put all the bits together, checking everything was OK at each stage. It was fine till I tightened up the screws securng the recoil mechanism to the mantlet. The barrel jammed. Took it apart, cleaned up and lubricated the barrel and ts housing. Did it again - same thing happened. Before dismantling it yet again, I checked it all over very, very carefully. I noticed that the recoil was very slightly out of line with the mantlet assembly. It was barely noticeable, but obviously enough to foul it all up. Also, with the new mechanism there was too much of the barrel sticking out.

I have shortened the barrel and made minor adjustments to the mantel. The whole thing has worn my patience today, so back to it tomorrow! I have discovered a lot over the last few days. Whether I have actually learned anything remains to be seen.
Richard
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Maybe a run through with a round file in the mantlet will find and remove roughness or a burr. It doesn't take much to hang up a servo mounted recoil. You'll definitely get it figured, SS. It's all part of the fun. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”