WHIF ? US Firefly M4a3

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Meatball9584
Private

WHIF ? US Firefly M4a3

Post by Meatball9584 »

Hi all,

Decided after a lot of lurking on here and envious looks at my dads Heng Long Tiger that I would purchase a RC tank.

This Sherman with Firefly barrel and radio box came up on the bay of E so I took the bait.

Heng Long M4a3 .

Plans are to make a representation of one of the small batch of US 17 pounders with the additional what if scenario of the US Army giving them back to the Brits.

Anyway immediate plans are paint/weather 360 turret and barrel recoil.

I'll have lots of questions and crystal for help.

Regards Chris
JohnWhyte
Corporal

Re: WHIF ? US Firefly M4a3

Post by JohnWhyte »

I hope to see it at the grantham club on the 4th Decemberas as it will be a day of the firefly as me and my dad be bringing our fireflies but it dose look good
For any British markings I would suggest to go to forgebear
T-34
2 Pz.4
Korean Pershing
2 M50
2 M51
M1
2 King Tiger
2 Jagdpanzer E75
Alligator
E25 Ausf D
E75
E50
T32
Radar Panther
tanker 242
Corporal

Post by tanker 242 »

hi meatball ,just like the one I am in the prosess of doing as soon as the barrel arrives, tanker 242
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

US 17pdr ? Didn't know they existed. Hellcats yes but they never had 17pdrs a totally different gun i believe !
Meatball9584
Private

Post by Meatball9584 »

There are quite a few sources that point it out.

Short time un used experiment

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/48/ ... z48_1.html
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

meatball

that's a pretty tenuous link considering it says rejected by the US in the first paragraph and goes on to say no pictures but papers exist ? So it's a "paper" tank ! Do like your Firefly though!
Meatball9584
Private

Post by Meatball9584 »

Like I said there are a number of sources out there that go against it being a "paper tank" I just gave the one I'm using for visual cues.

Regards
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

http://www.theshermantank.com/category/firefly/
Here's a picture of A Firefly (hybrid based) in US livery, taken from the site above. I did also see a photo once of one being evaluated on a US Army firing range; but have lost the link. Some sources suggest they had 100 in their inventory but the end of the war, but seem determined not to use the 17-pounder in any tank. Political and economic reasons behind that, I expect. They were happy enough to accept the Rolls-Royce jet engine blueprints, RADAR, and much more besides, through the 'Tizard' mission of 1941, though.. :shh: and later, postwar, the all-flying tailplane (for the Bell X1) used to break the sound barrier. It was developed for the Miles M52, which could have broken the barrier if funds had been available (as demonstrated by later tests) . But Britain was broke..and someone else wanted the accolade. I wonder who? :lolno: :lolno:
Attachments
Hybrid Firefly lurking, shamefaced, behind its M22 'Locust' offspring
Hybrid Firefly lurking, shamefaced, behind its M22 'Locust' offspring
fireflyus.jpg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 3641 times
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Meatball9584
Private

Post by Meatball9584 »

Here are some of the pics of the 17 pounder being evaluated

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/i ... s-firefly/
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

doc larsson wrote:that's a pretty tenuous link considering it says rejected by the US in the first paragraph and goes on to say no pictures but papers exist ? So it's a "paper" tank !
Does it really matter? People are happy enough with Panther Fs or E-series panzers.

I generally prefer authenticity above accuracy; if something looks and feels right, well that's just as good as counting rivets. Easier on the eyes and heart, too.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”