heng long sherman metal track upgrade

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
enfield
Recruit

heng long sherman metal track upgrade

Post by enfield »

Hello. Having just ordered a Sherman plastic track version, can you fit the metal tracks and sprockets as a upgrade, and keep the existing gearboxes or is the track weight a issue as to extra torque being put through the gear train, your comments please. Thanks
JohnWhyte
Corporal

Re: heng long sherman metal track upgrade

Post by JohnWhyte »

I would say upgrade the gears to metal if you're doing the track and sprockets but I'm not sure is I'm still new and will be doing the same when I get my sherman
T-34
2 Pz.4
Korean Pershing
2 M50
2 M51
M1
2 King Tiger
2 Jagdpanzer E75
Alligator
E25 Ausf D
E75
E50
T32
Radar Panther
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by jtracks »

If you're going to go to metal tracks I recommend using the Taigen and not the Heng Long tracks. The Taigen look so much better. You will have to use the Taigen drive sprockets however. Impact also has tracks that will work and are not as heavy as the Taigen tracks.
Joe
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Enfield Hi, usually our first entry is to introduce ourselves, that way we can get to know where in the world you are and what part or parts of our hobby most interests you,
As to metal versus plastic, in this case the Taigen tracks are going to be better than Heng Longs although they will ruin a Parquet floor but they are fine with the rest of the drivetrain,
Generally speaking whenever metal is substituted for Plastic or Nylon it adds not only extra weight but additional stress to the drivetrain, so the law of diminishing returns often applies.
Metal wheels + metal sprocket & rollers + metal gearboxes + metal hull + metal bracing, where does it end ? :crazy:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

My rule when it comes to HL drive it till it breaks and then do the upgrades. You would be surprised how long some things actually run O.K. :D

If you are going to run this outside stay with the plastic tracks for a while. They actually work better on grass with the stock gearing set up.
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
enfield
Recruit

Post by enfield »

Hello Sorry for not introducing my self earlier , i have recently got into this hobby with a taigen panther, and have the bug so purchased the heng long sherman, i am living in south wales and been in engineering all my working life and love all things mechanical i have a passion for all forms of models, i believe it keeps the grey matter working , thanks for all your comments and i think i will hold off as yes you can put alot of money in your hobby and dont know when to stop, i might see how the sherman goes and up grade at a later date. Thanks again john.
siegfried
Lance Corporal

Post by siegfried »

Thanks for the metal track info I learned something.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”