Panther Dots

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Re: Panther Dots

Post by Jnewboy »

So Disk Camo is hard, I will be the first to say that, its very hard to get right.

Uschi makes a good one in 1/16 but it wont stick very well.

Notice a few things from this pic,
1. The disks overlap
2. The edges of the "disk areas" are soft (oversprayed) meaning they went back in and sprayed a pattern of the base color (dunkelgelb) after the disks were all in.
3. The Dunkelgelb is light, by the time in the war this camo was being used the color pigment and hue had become much lighter (RAL 7028 aus 44 DG1)

Yours is much better than my first attempt, which looked like a circus tent and it was on a Tiger I which never even had disc camo :eh: So dont feel discouraged, it looks cool and its always about the next build! :thumbup:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Gillaspy: I am sorry I missed your photo of the RR Merlin engine until now. I sure hope the Spitfire model helps your father feel good and good about himself. Have you ever seen James May's "Airfix" episode on his "Toy Stories" program? I think it was on BBC2 about 2010, and I got to see it years later on YouTube, but I cannot find a link to it now.
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Jnewboy wrote:So Disk Camo is hard, I will be the first to say that, its very hard to get right.

Uschi makes a good one in 1/16 but it wont stick very well.

Notice a few things from this pic,
1. The disks overlap
2. The edges of the "disk areas" are soft (oversprayed) meaning they went back in and sprayed a pattern of the base color (dunkelgelb) after the disks were all in.
3. The Dunkelgelb is light, by the time in the war this camo was being used the color pigment and hue had become much lighter (RAL 7028 aus 44 DG1)

Yours is much better than my first attempt, which looked like a circus tent and it was on a Tiger I which never even had disc camo :eh: So dont feel discouraged, it looks cool and its always about the next build! Image
Thanks for the feedback and always right about learning from anything you do for thr next build! I really did enjoy doing the camo, was therapeutic and allowed me to focus on the job in hand and forget other things going on. As you say the disc camo was generally different sizes and overlapped. Putting on the dots was laborious, needed a lower tack sheet really however worked a treat. I would defo do another again so perhaps next time I'll go for this effect of the overlap and differing sizes, good tip on the dunkelgelb being lighter.

I have got an ibu2u in it now, night vision hooked up and working, tarr smoker in it. I have a servo recoil and flash to fit next then maybe upgrade the gearboxes. Massive thanks to Ian at rctank electronics who's been superb and very helpful.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Gillaspy: I am sorry I missed your photo of the RR Merlin engine until now. I sure hope the Spitfire model helps your father feel good and good about himself. Have you ever seen James May's "Airfix" episode on his "Toy Stories" program? I think it was on BBC2 about 2010, and I got to see it years later on YouTube, but I cannot find a link to it now.
Herr Dr, much appreciated. The spitfire is progressing however I have to say its definitely the worst kit I've ever built. Nothing fits, poor detail, more flash than Gordon and the gap between the wings and body is about 2mm each side, huge amounts of filler will be needed. The engine compartment is supposed to have detachable panels but due to the poor fit I'll have to fix them so the merlin will never see the light of day! Wings are nearly done, I'm just plucking up the courage to fit them ImageImage

He will love it though, will put a smile on his face.

I haven't seen James May's program however I have watched Guy Martins on channel 4. If you haven't watched it its superb, should be on catch up. They restore a ww2 spitfire and then have the pilot's daughters come see their dads fighter take off, quite emotional for them.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Very nice Panther camo, and quite unusual too. Been following along with this thread and must say it has certainly given me food for thought if I ever get around to my own Panther project which is presently collecting dust at the moment.
Very well done. :thumbup:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

G2005,

Outstanding Panther in all respects! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”