Battle Systems

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
T.Watson
Recruit

Battle Systems

Post by T.Watson »

Dear All
I have a number of Heng Long/Torro tanks
M26 Pershing
Panther
2 x Shermans
Tiger 1
Tiger 2

They are a mixture of bb and IR systems.
The big question is how to convert them to Tamiya compatible battling systems?
I would rather not sell them but if i have to I will

My Thanks in advance

Trevor
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Battle Systems

Post by greengiant »

I believe there are electronic kits available to convert just about anything to the Tamiya system. I think other members are more familiar with them and their cost and installation then me. I'm sure some will answer your question once they see your question.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It depends on two things, firstly how much you want to spend, and secondly how realistic you want them to sound.

If they are fitted with pre-2.4ghz RX18's then you can get a kit from Darkith in the US. It's a 'very' simple soldering job that takes about an hour. This converts the RX18 to a system that will have standard IR, eg Tamiya compatible. This is the cheapest option, but you will still have Heng Long sounds. This cannot be used with the 2.4ghz RX18's.

Next up is the Clark board, same size as the RX18, so all you do is take the RX18 out of its plastic case, and put the Clark board in the bottom half. It's all plug and play. You can make your own IR sensor apple to go with any board very easily.

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20698

You will have excellent sounds, and a load of options to set the tank up how you want it to run. If you have a smartphone with an IR emitter on it, you don't need the Clark remote, you can download an IR app and use the phone to program it. If you have a Sony tv, you can use the remote from that.

IBU - Plug and play, sounds are on an SD card, pick the tank that you want from the available sound files.
Elmod - Plug and play, sounds are on an SD card, pick the tank that you want from the available sound files.
Tamiya - Not easy to install in a Heng Long tank, but it can be done. Not really worth it as the Clark/IBU/Elmod are all streets ahead in terms of what they do.

If you want to compare the different systems you might like to have a look on You Tube, there are hundreds of videos on there that demonstrate what the tanks sound like etc.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
T.Watson
Recruit

Post by T.Watson »

Thanks for the replies
I have gone with the Elmod setup with a vampire system
great advice!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The Elmod IR plugs are different to the others, so a standard 5 pin apple + 2 pin emitter can't be used.

There are two options.

a) Make your own, it's pretty much the same except the Elmod system uses the 5 pin plug only, the 2 wires from the emitter share 2 of the 5 pin wires.
b) Buy the Elmod apple, not cheap, and like most apples, not pretty, though it can be cut down to whatever height you want very easily.

If you go with option 'a' then when you order the board ask for the apple system 5 pin plug as well, they will send just the base unit with the plug attached which is cheaper. If Thomas asks, it's the part on the left side of the pic, he will know what you mean.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17744

It looks complicated but it wasn't my best description of how to do it. I will be building one shortly for someone, so I will take some very clear pics and post them up when I do the job.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Heng Long Builds”