T34/85 Conversion, reloaded pictures

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Del
Corporal

Re: T34/85 Conversion

Post by Del »

Here's a tip Capt.
Get a 3 litre bottle and fill it 50/50 petrol and diesel.instruct the wife to run past the nest and slam it neck first in the nest hole.retreat until the bottle is nearly empty then with a long stick with a burning rag on the end push the bottle over and fire em up.
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

MichaelC wrote:
capt midnight wrote:Thanks for the input, guys. I hadn't realized that it was setting that high. After looking back at my reference pictures, I see what you mean. After seeing the two holes in the spring mounting area, it makes me think that I may be able to drill another one to adjust the ride height. I was kind of thinking that I might have to do some tweaking after I get the upper built and mounted.
Bill,

A quick way to adjust the ride height is to actually put a small piece of styrene into the suspension arm stop so that it will stop higher than factory height. This will reduce the travel of the road wheels but will give you the proper ride height with very little work. The whole point of the Christie suspension originally was that the upper of the road wheels act as the return roller so the tracks should really be touch the top and the bottom of the road wheels.

MichaelC.
Thanks for the great idea, Michael. I'm gonna give it a try. I can shim them now, and adjust if needed after I get all the rest of the junk on top.

As for the on going ground hornet infestation, the wife loved the gas bomb idea, (she's actually a closet pyro), but these guys have one hornet to a tunnel. She came up with a gadget that looks like a tennis racket, but has a triple layer wire net. Sucker runs off of a couple of batteries and will give off a 3000 volt shock. Kind of like a portable bug zapper. So over the last couple of days I've been practicing my backhand. :haha:

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Bill,

Shim is a good idea. Once you have the twin engines on it will push the suspension down so it will be better to adjust then.

Love the flame thrower idea........ I am a closet pyro myself, having lit a comforter on fire when I was little when my Airfax Spitfire got shot down. The trailing black smoke from burning plastic was glorious.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I found a pump unit for my planned flammpanzer , but Ive lost the link.
The pump is an RS-360H DC
3V - 12V
If I can find the link I will be sure to post it.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

In a rich and varied career I spent some time in what was then West Germany doing a job with NATO Forces, part of it was seeing hands on what use the equipment paid for by NATO was getting,
I paid a visit on a cold early February to a Master Diversion Military Airfield Called RAF Wildenrath, It had one Runway but it went for miles,and had a crash net at each end if all else failed 8O
Fortunately the day I arrived their had been heavy snow and the snow clearer I had come to view was actually in action,, :thumbup:
It consisted of A 28 tonne Faun Bowser (Avtag Aircraft refueller) a Frame mounted on the front fitted with dolly wheels at each corner and two time expired "Rolls Royce Avon Jet engines with shaped nozzles fitted beside each other in the frame,
This was shaped to allow the exhaust efflux at an angle to Blow and or melt the lying snow and ice.
No it did not blow the Tanker backwards but it sure cleared the runway, which is just as well as immediately behind it was a six wheeled fire engine (Just in Case :/ )
The noise in the vicinity was horrendous, but my conclusion when I did the write up later that day was that it was extremely effective as long as the engine exhaust angles were not pointing down too steeply as there was a good chance of doing permanent damage to the runway in that case :lolno: :lolno:
An interesting and funfilled winters day well spent. :thumbup:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Thanks for the link, Herman. That just might work. I'll pick one up and give it a try.

Here's where I'm at, so far...

Shimmed up the suspension arms. Looks pretty close, I think.
20160801_182603.jpg

Here's the upper platform and control cab...
20160801_182511.jpg
20160801_182511.jpg
20160801_182526.jpg
20160801_182536.jpg

Still looking for some ducted fans that will work. I'm thinking about just getting a couple of 40mm fan units, then hunting up the motors to fit. Most of the units I'm finding have brushless motors. GWS made some 40mm units with regular motors, but I can't find anyone that still has any in stock.

I'm sorting through the hull fittings to see what I want to put on. The rest of the holes will be filled and textured with putty. Also found a couple of good pictures of the control panel. Also made use of some leftover tread plate to put on the deck and control cab.

Bill
Last edited by capt midnight on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Could you use brushless units, and run an ESC from the battery with a relay triggered from the machine gun? So using the mg triggers the relay turning on the fans.
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

That's pretty close to what I was planning on. This one has the 2.4 radio, but the smoker control is on the tank, not the transmitter. Was thinking about swapping parts with another tank and use the on/off for the smoke to power up the jet engines, then use the MG button to control the water pump. I plan to put in a separate battery pack to run the pump and jet engines, with relays powered off of the RX18.

Bill
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Forgot about the smoker - if you use relays then brushless ESC & motor should be fine? Someone who understands elektrickery may be able to explain otherwise?

Return to “Heng Long Builds”