T34/85 Conversion, reloaded pictures

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
capt midnight
Corporal

T34/85 Conversion, reloaded pictures

Post by capt midnight »

I'm not sure if this belongs here, or should be in the Modern Tanks thread. If it should be moved, I'm sure the Mod will move it. Well, on with the show.

I haven't seen too many T34 builds and Herman's beautiful bed spring build made me want to really get this project under way. Here's the unboxing of the T34...

Ordered from Intnova in Canada off of ebay. Here's the box as it arrived at the door. Really quick shipping, by the way.
20160722_190327.jpg
20160722_190520.jpg
Here's the inner foam packing. This one came with the Li-ion battery...
20160722_190634.jpg
After removing the top foam packing. 2.4 Gig radio...
20160722_190809.jpg
And right out of the box...
20160722_190933.jpg
Here's everything that was in the box. The tow cables and a couple of small antennas are in the bag with the instructions...
20160722_191610.jpg
Here's the under the hood shot. Came with metal gearboxes...
20160722_200735.jpg
20160722_200751.jpg
A shot of the smoker working during the test drive...
20160722_200919.jpg
More to come...

Bill
Last edited by capt midnight on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
capt midnight
Corporal

Re: T34/85 Conversion

Post by capt midnight »

Here's what the end product is supposed to be...
84903523.jpg
84903523.jpg (54.86 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
big_wind_turboreaktiv_olto_1357375204.jpg
big_wind_turboreaktiv_olto_1357375256.jpg
big_wind_turboreaktiv_olto_1357375757.jpg
hzu7onz.jpg
410.jpg
And a video of Big Wind in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOlq6RRh3sg

The plan is as follows...

Rotation of the jet engines.

Elevation of the engines.

I'm planning on using a couple r/c plane ducted fan engines to provide the "exhaust" for the engines.

And working water to the spray headers.

Now we just have to see how it goes!

Bill
Last edited by capt midnight on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

That's awesome!
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Holy crap I wasn't expecting that!!!!
Award for different tank of the year goes to...........
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

That's bonkers - I like it!

Might be worth emailing Wild Well (based in Houston) as they may have pics of them in action that aren't normally available.
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Bill, you're an absolute madman. I love it.
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Here's where I'm at, so far. I started on the easy stuff first. Stripped down, modded, and repainted the lower hull. Here's the new paint. I measured and cut a hole in a couple of paper plates and used them as a mask to keep paint off of the "rubber" tires. While I had the suspension arms off, I noticed that there were two holes for the springs to mount into on the hull. Looks like you can increase the tension on the springs, if needed. Might need this after I get all the goodies on the upper hull. The treads are a little tight, but as soon as there is some weight on the suspension, they loosen up a bit. Should have some slight sag to them once all is said and done.
20160726_103454.jpg
Here's the inner hull. I sealed the battery door and cut out the box. Installed rare earth magnets to mount the upper hull to, and painted the inside white. Since this is going to be a "clean" build, I kind of thought it appropriate to have the interior bright white. Kind of looks that way in the pictures I could find with the hatch open. I'm going to move the on/off switch to just under the hatch.
20160726_103440.jpg
Here's the upper hull, so far. I had the turret left over from my Pantiger to Jadgpanter build and it was the same size base as the T34. I cut up the bottom plat to make the base for the upper works. Looks like I'll be able to mount the elevation motor to it as well. I cut off the M/G mount, but have yet to fill it in. I'm planning on using some Sculpy putty to fill in and texture it. Should also work on filling in the rest of the unused mounting holes. Removed and cut open the rear vents, and installed screen. I'm going to install a couple of baffle plates under the screens.
20160726_103510.jpg
I started to move the hatch to the other side, but I came across some pictures that show it on this side. I think I'll just leave it where it's at and save some hassle. I have noticed that there are several different vehicles, so I'm not really going to pick out one individual machine, but just try and capture the overall effect. Most of them appear to have the same overall design of the upper works.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Bill
Last edited by capt midnight on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
fury
Lance Corporal

Post by fury »

Absolutely crazy looking but I like it a lot. Different but awesome. :thumbup:
Kevin :wave:
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Off to a solid start Bill, looking forward to seeing where you go with it.

With regards to your track tension and running gear, the road wheels are sitting too low with the default H/L suspension. The tops of the idlers, road wheels and sprockets should all be more or less level.
If you get some spacers underneath the suspension arms to lift them up and limit their travel, you'll have a little more slack in the tracks and the wheels will be sitting in more of a straight line.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Agree with Mr Ram, the idler on mine was/is still set on what would be the tightest setting.
This can be removed & rotated so the idler is roughly flush with the top of the roadwheels, but the wheels need to have at least 3mm probably as much as a 1/4" added into the travel slots to bring them to a good height.
Plastic tracks wont sag naturally like metal ones do, so to get the look you are going for the roadwheel travel needs doing.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Heng Long Builds”