Nashorn build from a Panzer IV lower hull

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Nashorn build from a Panzer IV lower hull

Post by Raminator »

Camouflage looks great, Alwyn. What's left to do before you finish up your prototype, and move on to weathering?
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Raminator, not a great deal left to do really. I need to get a controller board, probably a Clark TK22, so I can test and finalise the gun servos.

I need to do the tidying up inside the chassis and decide where to mount the on/off switch. Do some more work on the painting, the camo was just a trial run as I hadn't finished even the paint base coat but I was feeling like I needed to do some artistic work instead of cutting/glueing/printing and I wanted to see what it would look like. To tell the truth I am so impressed with the camo job I really don't want to mess with it too much, probably just give it another few coats.

I'm very nervous about weathering as the few attempts I have made previously have been disastrous. Any weathering I do will probably be very light limited to mud splash/light dusting/pinlining/maybe a mud wash etc. I have an airbrush but haven't used it yet due to threats from the domestic management about smell/damage to the domestic environment etc and it hasn't been suitable weather to use the shed outside.

So really it's about finished from an external view point.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I finally gave some thought to the on/off switch/volume control and came up with a location o- :
I had to pull off the lid to the tool box in the back of the cab, but made the lid removable so I don't need to keep opening up the upper hull to turn it on and off.

The kit will be modified so the tool box is hinged to make things simpler.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Made progress and connected up the Clark TK22. Other than not being able to superspin the tank is working 100%. Just have a few problems with clearances on the servos and one of the servos has died so some fiddling required. Anyway I've made a video which is not great as holding the camera whilst operating the tank is not easy but here it is.
phpBB [video]

A little bit of fixing still to do but getting there

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looking and sounding great Mr Alwyn Turner! Love that camoflouge pattern
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hi there Alwyn hope you had time to sort out the board and servo
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

Great post, nice to see it running
:thumbup:
Drammen Rock City
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Carl, yes everything is working, we established that the TK22/transmitter combo functions like a Tamiya setup i.e. no superspin, but the real tanks didn't have that anyway. The servos are all working fine so I have elevate, slew, and recoil. I just need to put some of the redesigned servo links that I made for your kit onto the prototype as the prototype components don't fit properly and catch on the gun carraige, but as that involves a complete gun strip/rebuild I probably won't get that done before my hols. I'm not worried about it really as all the functionality works, it's just a bit 'kludgy' and not as smooth as I'd like but that's prototypes for you.

I managed to run the tank around the landscape and practice shooting things up. The gun fire/recoil looks really good with the muzzle flash, I was lucky to have one of the really small plugs to connect to the TK22 J3 socket. Have you got your various plugs wired up for the board?

Alwyn

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I do. I have a socket setup for the j3 port for the flash. Not sure what ports to plug the elevation and recoil servos into yet. I was going to ask you about that. My wiring should arrive this week from Dave Forgebear and then it's just a wait for the Clark tk60 board from Maxmekker. Glad you had fun and sorted it all out. I envy you fellas can get together and have fun as you do!

Carl
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

To be honest with you I'm not a huge fan of the super spin function anyway maybe on a modern tank I guess. You built an excellent model glad you are enjoying it!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”