Nashorn build from a Panzer IV lower hull

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Nashorn build from a Panzer IV lower hull

Post by c.rainford73 »

Alwyn looking excellent! I must admit without the servo wire visible I initially had a hard time locating it on your photo very nice
Tanks alot.... :wave:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well I'm having what the chinese would refer to as an 'interesting' day. I thought the slew motor would be a breeze. It's one of those geared motors, so I duly built a mounting box for it and created an arm to fit on it, got it all fitted and decided to do a test.
The dratted motor runs too fast, it runs at about 3 times the speed I need, and there are no comparable motors in this country, and I've ordered a slower motor from china but that's weeks away. :'( :'( :'( :{ :/ :wtf:
SO, back to the drawing board. Cunning plan is to build a gearbox so printed out a couple of gears to check the theory.
Ok it looks as though it might work, and I should be able to chop off half the big gear wheel as it's not required to down to designing the gearbox. :think: :think:
An hour now to print it and probably a few bugs to fix and reprint, then time to try again! The light at the end of the tunnel turned out to be a train on fire!

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Me being the electronics simpleton that I am, could a volume adjuster be used to reduce the 'flow of smoke' to the gearbox & slow it down ? :shifty:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Herman, I thought of a few electronic possibilities like putting a resistor in series, but I'll give the gearbox a go, and if that proves mechanically unreliable or problematic, then it's down to the electronic version.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Finally sorted the problem. After a number of redesigns and reprints, plus in situ modifications, we have a winner! :D :crazy: :crazy:
slew right
slew middle
slew left
and finally painted

Sigh of relief! We don't seem to have an emoji for that. :haha: :haha:

This is a temporary fix until the slower motors turn up (presumably on the slow boat from China).

The kit will not have the unsightly gearbox, just the servo arm from the motor drive pin so it won't really be noticeable.

Now I can finish off the pretty bits and the prototype should be ready for it's controller board, final fitting, and then it's proper paint job.

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Super job looking great!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Excellent solutions for the recoil/elevation/traverse servos Alwyn, a real testament to your engineering ingenuity. I know these things are difficult enough at the best of times (i.e. when space isn't an issue), but to squeeze that level of automation around a fully detailed gun breech is taking it to a whole other level.

I'm finding it harder and harder to resist one of these kits. ;)
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

For those interested here is a view of where the servos were actually mounted. It did involve some structural redesign of the gun carraige which was time consuming but finally successful.
I'm quite surprised (and not a little relieved) that the tiny helicopter servos successfully managed the recoil and elevation jobs.

philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

WOW! MOST IMPRESSIVE! 8O :clap: :thumbup:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

After all the hectic design/print/build I decided I needed an artistic break and thought I'd have a bash at a camo design, after all the tank still needs it's proper coat of paint so no worries if it doesn't work.
Here's the result

The lighting and camera aren't really doing it justice as it's actually a lot darker than the pics show.

I don't know whether I like it, I think it may need more green/brown, but I'll take it to MAD on Sunday and get a few opinions/suggestions.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”