Nashorn build from a Panzer IV lower hull

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Nashorn build from a Panzer IV lower hull

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well here's a new start. I have been thinking about a Hummel/Nashorn build for a while and looking for a suitable donor, and finally got one coming.
Here's the object of my desire
and the blueprints for said item
I finally managed to get the right info on the tank after a false start and printed off the scale blueprints. Just waiting with bated breath for my donor.
:thumbup: :wave: Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Nashorn build from a Panzer IV lower hull

Post by MichaelC »

Alwyn, are you scratch building this one or getting a kit (Bandai Hummel or Juckenburg Hummel/Nashorn) ? I have a Juckenburg kit and it is amazing. I managed to get his 88mm/L71 to recoil as well in the open cab.

MichaelC.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Michael, I am planning on scratch building as I find the kits a bit expensive and I'm running on a very tight budget, plus I find the scratchbuilding is fun! :crazy: How much was your Juckenburg kit if you don't mind me asking?
Regards
Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

It's arrived!! My ebay purchase was delivered and quickly unpacked and here it is
Plugged in a battery, started it up, and everything works - WOW.
I'm not sure I can bring myself to take it apart and chop it up, it's such a nice-looking and performing tank! The previous owner had done some painting and weathering - especially on the tracks, and it looks pretty good.
The chassis lines up pretty well apart from the chassis on the Nashorn is lengthened over the rear sprocket, and the Nashorn drive sprocket appears to be higher and slightly further forward than the Panzer IV, so some work to do on remodelling the chassis.
Anyway a major leap forward and I can start planning what to start on!
:thumbup: :wave: Alwyn

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Yeah thats a nice as-is for sure.
Ahh, to bad, your new one will be waaayyyyy better when its done :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Opened up the Panzer and nice surprise - all metal gearboxes with bearings throughout! What a win. Anyway now to start pleading for advice.

Has anyone moved gearboxes around on a Panzer IV and is there a thread somewhere I can look at please? I need to move the drive sprockets forward about 5mm and up by about the same amount. I seem to remember seeing a thread where someone had done this but can't find it despite much searching. ??? ??? ???

Many thanks
:wave: Alwyn

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Mr Philipat and Mr Woz(I will find the links) but not by that amount.
You are restricted in raising by the hull roof, but this can be made easier by different gearboxes.
As for moving forward, I dont believe this has been done let alone by 5mm that I've seen.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13969&start=80

Read on from here about the gearbox settings
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Herman yes you are quite right, there isn't enough clearance for the forward move, but I reckon I could tilt the gearbox and raise the front of the gearbox by 5mm and raise the roof over the gearbox by a couple of mm. It won't provide quite the correct position but it should be close enough that it dosn't look obviously wrong. So just a couple of 5mm spacers under the front of the gearboxes should do it. The roof over the front shouldn't be a problem being a scratch build as it won't be obviously incorrect as the slope of the front roof won't change.

Many thanks for the advice and the pointers.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :wave: Alwyn

MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

MichaelC wrote:Alwyn, are you scratch building this one or getting a kit (Bandai Hummel or Juckenburg Hummel/Nashorn) ? I have a Juckenburg kit and it is amazing. I managed to get his 88mm/L71 to recoil as well in the open cab.

MichaelC.
Alwyn, just remembered that Juck is retiring now so it will be no more unless someone else picks up his molds etc....... I think I paid 200 euro ? The big thing is the interior and the details on the 88mm. Here is my original thread:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11907&hilit=Nashorn

BY the way, if you look at the picture you posted of the Nashorn, the drive sprocket is fairly close to the 1 st road wheels as well. I think your blue print drawing is a little optimistic as to what it should look like perhaps....... :-)

Good luck and will be watching this closely.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”