1942 DAK Panzer IV

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1942 DAK Panzer IV

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

And I doubt that during their extra fuel carrying moments, they would be that near the enemy that they would need to hide in the turret.
Same with the Russians and their extra fuel tanks. They only carried them when travelling and not into battle.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I love that they're smoking next to the cans, but are they fuel or water? Either way, they are in the way of the cupola view :thumbup:
Attachments
Screenshot_20200820-000930.jpg

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Here’s another historic, totally authentic photo.
Okay, maybe not historic......or authentic in any way. But it was fun to set this up! ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Hey, Mr Jimster, I can't work out if it's you or the dog that's barking mad. . . .

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Ha! Let’s just say it’s a team effort.
On a different note I’ve discovered that reading about wartime rules and regs are often dispelled by photos showing the very opposite! I’ve read that Tiger tanks were absolutely forbidden to tow other Tigers out of stuck situations or disabled Tigers because of the chances of damaging the transmission. The penalty was court martial. However the 502nd did this many times in heavy combat situations or when prime movers were unavailable. The book, Tigers in the Mud, has at least one photo showing this being done.
My point is to use as many references as possible if historic accuracy is important to you. Some modelers don’t care in the least as these are toys but some strive for something more.
Sorry Painless, now back to your most excellent and entertaining build thread.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon all!
If a Build sparks commentary and interest, then it is going in the right direction. No worries, gentlemen, all are welcome to chime in and since I _know_ that I don't know everything, I'm always ready to learn. ;o) Tonight, I cleaned up the fuel drum a tad with filing, paint, filing and some more paint. Much better than it was. I located a spare water can and put a base coat on it. Once it cures, I will add the white cross that the Wehrmacht used to differentiate water cans from fuel cans. Tools are all done on the Commander's side including the jack block. I have a few Tetra dry apply markings left for fire extinguishers and applied one to the Panzer extinguisher. A big thunderstorm had rolled up as I was working and of course, every time I went to apply the extremely fiddly marking, CRACKABOOM! ;o) Only took two to get it right. More work\fun to follow.
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Closeup of the fuel drum and block mount.jpg
Closeup of the fuel drum and block mount.jpg
Work done on the fuel drum seam...Weathering should take care of the rest....jpg
Work done on the fuel drum seam...Weathering should take care of the rest....jpg
Moving on to the Loaders side next.jpg
Moving on to the Loaders side next.jpg
Tools completed on the Commanders side plus nails added to the roof Jerry Can rack.jpg
Tools completed on the Commanders side plus nails added to the roof Jerry Can rack.jpg
A spare Water Can left over from the Palace Build some years ago..jpg
A spare Water Can left over from the Palace Build some years ago..jpg
A handy parcel from Forgebear contained the missing turret door stop on the Loaders side..jpg
A handy parcel from Forgebear contained the missing turret door stop on the Loaders side..jpg
I hang onto the stamps on parcels from overseas just for fun..jpg
I hang onto the stamps on parcels from overseas just for fun..jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

jarndice wrote:I find it mildly amusing that someone on this Forum is suggesting that "Painless Wolf" would entertain the idea of deliberately building into his tanks flagrant inaccuracies.
You don't know him very well if you think he does not research every build to the last detail. :thumbup:
That is your interpretation.
I never meant it that way.
My English is not the best, so some may be misunderstood.
the behavior of some users here is remarkable and also shameful.
I will only read in this forum ...
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

jarndice wrote:Using the Book Panzer 1V at War 1939-1945 by Paul Thomas ISBN 978-1-84884-681-4 as my reference I turned to page 25 and low and behold their is a Photograph of a PZ 4 Ausf D with a row of Jerry Cans on the Front edge of the Turret and a further row of Jerry cans along the front mantlet between the front fenders Oh and whats this on page 47 why its a PZ4 Ausf D Hybrid with yet more Jerry cans on the leading edge of the turret roof and if that's not enough on page 73 on a railway flat car two PZ4s one a late model Ausf G and an Ausf H both carrying 200 litre fuel drums on their respective engine bays,
Now if its not too late whose going to report these flagrant exhibitions of disobedience ?
And for Mr Jhamm:

I have seen jerry cans and more stowage plenty of times over the turret. Allowed or not, the fact is crew did it, and there are plenty of pics of it.
But most important than that is, if he likes fitting them in the turret, just go ahead!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Who wrote that this was never done?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Might want to tighten the bung on that Mr Wolf, she's leakin !!

With all the stuff on it, the short barreled PzIV sure takes on a more imposing presence I reckon.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Heng Long Builds”