1942 DAK Panzer IV

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1942 DAK Panzer IV

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon Soeren and Lee!
Thank you for looking in, Gentlemen. One of the great things about modeling tanks ( I have always found ) is how the eye is drawn from one spot to another on the vehicle by some new and intricate piece of gear or equipment installed on the armor, either welded or bolted on. Tanks are industrial in appearance and fascinate with their complexity ( one of the reasons that I love Early War Armor ) Once you get past the awe of the main gun or the menace implied by the multiple machine guns and tracks, there is always something else to look at and absorb. I love detailing tanks, past the sometimes simplistic detail added by the manufacturers and either working or cosmetic, it just adds to the Eye Candy Appeal. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Your a braver man than I Mr Wolf, that sight looks like a thing out of the back of a Swiss Watch !!
This is going to look a treat once all dressed with cans & weathering ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman!
It feels like you are working on watches at times with PE ( small watches at that ) ;o) This afternoon I found an hour to stand up at the counter in the kitchen and assemble, paint and install the front Convoy light. It did not come with a lens unlike the ones used in past builds so I trimmed one out of clear poly. The rest of the installation, including tinning and soldering the small wiring that Germans seem to favor went fairly easily. I'm satisfied yet may trim some of the excess length and add a solder join. We'll see if any snags occur with full turret rotation. Of course I ran the battery down playing with it on the counter but some photos did get taken.
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
A quick test to ensure brightness...yes, the deck is just laying in place, not snapped down.....jpg
A quick test to ensure brightness...yes, the deck is just laying in place, not snapped down.....jpg
WIP with lens in place.jpg
WIP with lens in place.jpg
No lens included so one was cut out of clear poly....jpg
No lens included so one was cut out of clear poly....jpg
Easier to just say Convoy light....jpg
Easier to just say Convoy light....jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Nothing serious this evening. Cleaning up the tools and bits to add to the deck. I did notice that no siren\horn was included in the set from either the Heng Long original tank nor the Taigen upgraded deck and turret. I thought then that maybe the 'F' series had made this item internal and went to do some research. Of course not! The Trojca Book + numerous photos and kit builds online of the 'F' had the external fixture in place behind the head light and in front of the Extinguisher. Checking around, I could find no single piece so went looking at the accessory kits from Forgebear and Taigen\Torro. Only the Pz III Accessory Kits had a Siren\Horn. MATO had them in metal but waiting until October for a delivery from China did not make much sense. I settled for a plastic set from Taigen here in the states. I feel like I have bugged Forgebear overmuch of late. Those guys have been great sourcing and shipping stuff from Germany! More to come!
regards,
Painless

https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-part ... /tag120814
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Time to get a little fun done while the Sun was shining for once. Last night, I had scratched up a 'knocked together' rack for the Jerry Cans on the turret roof and wanted to look at how the Germans would have secured a 200 Liter drum on the rear deck during road marches. I think this makes the most sense and allows me to remove it easily if required. Some painting as well on deck accessories rounded off the afternoon. Waiting on a couple of things then I can finish this Beast up.
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Commanders side.jpg
Commanders side.jpg
Rear bulkhead progress.jpg
Rear bulkhead progress.jpg
Tools and details underway on the Loaders side.jpg
Tools and details underway on the Loaders side.jpg
Tools underway.jpg
Tools underway.jpg
Painted and in place...rear reflector as well.jpg
Painted and in place...rear reflector as well.jpg
Exhaust for the crew auxiliary motor muffler.jpg
Exhaust for the crew auxiliary motor muffler.jpg
Chains will run through the blocks and over the barrel to secure it.jpg
Chains will run through the blocks and over the barrel to secure it.jpg
Looking at how to stow the 200 liter fuel barrel.jpg
Looking at how to stow the 200 liter fuel barrel.jpg
Once the strapping is in place they will all be secured.jpg
Once the strapping is in place they will all be secured.jpg
Building some stowage....jpg
Building some stowage....jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Beautiful work. So rich in details and very clean modeling. I really enjoy looking at these photos as they motivate me to up my game.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Its certainly got it goin on Mr Wolf.
If I may offer a minor constructive observation, the join/seam on the fuel drum sticks out to my eye :problem:
Ive done a few of the barrels you have & that seam is a (insert your preferred profanity) to remove.
The roof mounted jerry cans are a magic touch.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning Jimster!
Thank you for looking in. A ways to go on the detailing. I am awaiting Heike Modelbau's working rear convoy light, the last piece of electric gimcrackery that I need to install. Once that is working, the need to remove the deck is diminished and I can finish up the turret detailing, MG mount, strap for the Jerry Cans, etc. The slowest bit right now is making those molded on tools look like something. I have relieved the bases of the ones that came fixed on the deck and that is helping a little with painting them. Even the ones that came on a sprue are somewhat simplified but paint and weathering will give them a little extra snap. This tank is a runner so I am not going overboard ala the M36B on the detailing. Using the old HL lower pretty much defines the level of realism. Adding updated metal running gear and doing some small work to close up screw holes and add basic detailing has helped a lot.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning Herman!
You are reading my mind on the fuel drum seam. ( and that was the best of the lot! ) I got out the Mr. Surfacer last night and mixed it up. I will clean up that drum's appearance before chaining it down. Thanks for looking in, Doc! Still more paint and detail to go.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A terrific build sir, :thumbup: :clap:
There was a time when I would try to scrape off the fixtures and fittings from the early Heng Long and Taigen Tank body's but for some time I have tried to use Heng long PZ4 bodies because the tools and other fittings now come separately,
I did have to use a Taigen Body for my PZ4 Ausf G so complete with its winter tracks I gave it a a dirty white and smudged black finish and faked snow drifting up against the tools and fittings.
It worked but its the kind of trick that only works with one tank in the Lager :thumbdown:
I wait with impatience for your finished piece de resistance my hero :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”