1942 DAK Panzer IV

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 1942 DAK Panzer IV

Post by Soeren »

Ok,That is great of course. Sometimes pictures are a little bit awkward.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Some hours worth of work last night redoing the HL Mantlet to get the interior mounts on the Taigen piece for the gun tube close enough to use the stock Taigen gears. It was worth it. ( Anytime that I think that something is going to be easy, swapping components from manufacturer to manufacturer, I am quickly disabused of the notion ) Also, using a clamp and drill, I removed the LED step in the bore on the Tank Modelbau 75mm barrel so as to be able to make use of the excellent Taigen flasher. All of this was following by more time placing the new gun tube into the right spot to get the right recoil throw, ( the barrel was also a little short so I had to add length to the rear of the gun tube for the Taigen clamp to grip it correctly... I did this by using a piece of an old HL BB barrel which was the right diameter. Epoxy and a thin outer rubber sheath followed by the Taigen clamp saw the parts making one complete barrel of the right length. ;o) It works great now and I am really pleased with the updated sound set that accompanies the brilliant flash! The wiring for the coax MG is still hanging loose and I will use a wiring connector to the daughter board under the Deck so as to facilitate any future turret removal. More to follow.
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
It works.  Another hour of moving the gun tube forward and back to get the right recoil throw....totally worth it..jpg
It works. Another hour of moving the gun tube forward and back to get the right recoil throw....totally worth it..jpg
Still a WIP after removing the screw mounts and going with an interior rubber wrap for a tight press fit.jpg
Still a WIP after removing the screw mounts and going with an interior rubber wrap for a tight press fit.jpg
Testing after fitment of the new gun to the turret mechanism.jpg
Testing after fitment of the new gun to the turret mechanism.jpg
It took an additional two hours of work with Dremel and files to get the HL Mantlet close enough to use the Taigen Recoil Gears.jpg
It took an additional two hours of work with Dremel and files to get the HL Mantlet close enough to use the Taigen Recoil Gears.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Decided to get on with the turret detailing and ran into an immediate snag: No Loaders side door stop. I have a complete HL turret but those stops are too small to fit the Taigen install slot and are pretty simple as well. New one is being sourced. Everything else went well! I'm looking forward to getting back into the deck but I have a little soldering of connectors to work on first.
Attachments
Evening work done.  More soon.jpg
Evening work done. More soon.jpg
Correct diameter on the Tank Modelbau barrel sleeve required some some fun to be had.jpg
Correct diameter on the Tank Modelbau barrel sleeve required some some fun to be had.jpg
The screw access holes in the HL mantlet covered with plugs.jpg
The screw access holes in the HL mantlet covered with plugs.jpg
Some rubber striping cut to fit.jpg
Some rubber striping cut to fit.jpg
Prepping for a little more gap closure.jpg
Prepping for a little more gap closure.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Please prepare a video of it once you have it ready to show us how it is working. :thumbup:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning!
I will definitely do so. I love the bright flash and the Boom! of the 75mm. ;o) The elevation is no great shakes ( never is with these Taigen flat built mechanisms ) but it works. The rotation is super smooth thanks to the Tamiya-like rollers in the new turret base. I've always wanted a DAK Panzer so this Build is extra fun to have come together.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

This afternoon, I had a couple of free hours to work on the Panzer. Certainly takes away the current worries and stress like a good Hobby should. Extra and last minute parts are coming in courtesy of some US based Shops and of course, Forgebear! Dave and Julie have kept the flow of hard to get items from Germany open and I really owe them a debt of gratitude.
Attachments
Pretty much the same on the rear tow mount save that a bolt was used to mount the chain not a pin..jpg
Pretty much the same on the rear tow mount save that a bolt was used to mount the chain not a pin..jpg
Front shackles completed.jpg
Front shackles completed.jpg
Retaining bars attached.jpg
Retaining bars attached.jpg
Pinned into place chain location verified by research....jpg
Pinned into place chain location verified by research....jpg
WIP on the front tow shackles.jpg
WIP on the front tow shackles.jpg
Transmitter marked for the Build.jpg
Transmitter marked for the Build.jpg
From  Taigen Tanks stock.jpg
From Taigen Tanks stock.jpg
A new Zaloga book and some Feldwebel uniform addons to help keep me having fun with the Build.jpg
A new Zaloga book and some Feldwebel uniform addons to help keep me having fun with the Build.jpg
Swivel aerial from Dave and Julie.jpg
Swivel aerial from Dave and Julie.jpg
A sign of quality and dependable service.jpg
A sign of quality and dependable service.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Nice details Painless :clap: :clap: Chains upfront are very nice and its coming along splendidly :wave:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!
Thank you for looking in on the build. ;o) This afternoon was a success! Only one cut for some good work completed. More to follow. The lower is almost complete. I just need to add a few fake bolts and close up all of those unused screw holes.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

PainlessWolf wrote: Yep, trying to build something new out of an old tank seems to be my gig anymore.
regards,
Painless
Finally got through this entire build. I find myself enjoying bringing them back from the dead as well. Financially it makes sense sometimes. Coming along nicely! Are you satisfied with the HL6.0 unit.

Pale
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Doc,
This HL Pz IV is old\new stock. I bought it few years ago and it was getting a little long in the tooth then. It has been in my Tank Room in storage with other tanks and kits to build. The Board in it was one of the Heng Long RX-18 boards with the basic Diesel engine sound set built in, etc...etc... I replaced these with the latest Gen 3 Taigen set with the capability to use a Hobby grade TX and RX along with customized sound sets for different tanks. While I am using the stock Taigen TX and RX on the MFU, I did spring for a Panzer Sound module and the effects from that are pretty sweet. It is not a CLARK Board but it is worlds ahead of what we used to find in these tanks. Thanks for looking in! ;o) I have to venture out into the 'Crazy' today to run errands and will be zonked by the time I get home this afternoon. I will get back to the Panzer IV tomorrow I think.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”